Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 PM   #1

A Christmas Horror, With a Newmar ending

While traveling from Minnesota to Florida my Brother in law and wife were north of Knoxville Tennessee the day after Christmas. Climbing a hill at the top they suddenly heard a BANG, saw a cloud of smoke and their Bay Sport quit running. Coasting off to the side of the road (I-75) he saw the trail of oil. His V10 (with 13,000 miles on it) had blown up. Having roadside coverage, they had it towed to the Ford dealer in Knoxville. The dealer told him because of holidays he was swamped and couldn't look at it until Jan 2. Jan 2 came and dealer called to confirm the motor was shot. The dealer had been in contact with Ford and was told that Ford would send a new motor for it, in May!
My brother in law called his dealer that he purchased his coach from in 2016 and asked if they could get Newmar to put some pressure on Ford for a quicker time. Dealer called Newmar, Newmar called Ford factory Rep and low and behold a complete new engine is being delivered next week.

Thanks to customer service from the dealer (Steinbring Motorcoach) and Newmar (notice coach was out of factory warranty) they should get their coach back in a few short weeks.

IT truely was a family affair.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's nice that all of that happened, but Ford would be buying me a new RV if they told me that a factory warrantied engine was going to take 5 months before they provided a replacement.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
That's nice that all of that happened, but Ford would be buying me a new RV if they told me that a factory warrantied engine was going to take 5 months before they provided a replacement.

Yep, because that part of the coach IS covered under most states' lemon laws.,
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:51 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford requires an oil change every six months. I'd be interested if Ford required oil change documentation before providing warranty coverage.

I use Mobil 1 and have changed the oil with less than 1,000 miles on it just to satisfy the warranty.

Did Ford give a reason for the premature failure of the engine?
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #5

Wow, I'd be interested in knowing just what happened to the engine. Those V10's are as bullet proof as available in a gasser.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Lack of oil or possibly water injestation into air intake are most common reasons for a V10 to blow up. All guesses. I suspect no one will really find out the root cause if the engine isn't oil sludged. If it was sludged, then the owner would know already when they said it wasn't covered due to lack of proper maintenance.
Was it raining by chance?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridakamper View Post
Ford requires an oil change every six months. I'd be interested if Ford required oil change documentation before providing warranty coverage.

I use Mobil 1 and have changed the oil with less than 1,000 miles on it just to satisfy the warranty.

Did Ford give a reason for the premature failure of the engine?
Haven't pulled the engine. All maintenance was done by the owner in accordance with the book schedule. We are waiting to here from the Ford dealer as to what they think happened. Hopefully, their repairman will give us some indication as to why.

They had dry weather all the way, so no water in the air system.

We have come across a couple other V10s that have detonated, but it is still considered a great motor when you think of how many are on the road.

Tags
newmar