RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #1

Question A couple of questions.

A few questions for you RV intellects.

2012 Newmar Mountain Air. All electric.

1. When dry camping, will the refrig run on battery power. I thought so but came in and refrig was off. Still showing 3/4 on battery power. Started the Gen and refrig came on immediately. Gen now off and refrig still running. Just curious so I will know if it shuts off again.

2. We have stayed in several places where we had only 30 Amp power. In a cool climate so AC nor heat necessary. At one place the voltage was jumping from 105 to 118 with only 15-20 amps required. Is this a problem with low volts? The amps did not jump around.

3. I have a surge protector but plugs in at the pole. I did not plug it up as I was unsure how it would react to not having the normal 50 amp service. How does this work. The protector is an older model and probably needs updating so do the newer ones handle thius without creating a problem>>or should I NEVER hook up to 30 amp.

4. Does the floor heat work on 30 amp. It was on but the floor did not feel as warm as usual.

That does it for now. All of you guys are great and thanks in advance for any help. Yeal, I know I could research all of these but a straight in simple english answer is much better than reading pages of confusing instructions.

grovenewmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #2

Your fridge should run off the batteries. Make sure your inverter is turned on at the control panel. I would think you have an energy management system on the coach, so 30 amps is no problem. We run on 30 amps at the Tampa show, and the AC works as well as the floor heat. The surge should work fine with 30 amp adapter, at least mine does.

Prov. 3: 5-6
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
The fridge will run on the batteries...IF...(1) the batteries are charged and (2) the inverter is turned on and properly configured. When dry camping, you need to monitor your battery levels and charge them when they get to 50%.

I don't know about the 2012 Mountain Aire, but my 2018 has an energy management system that allows me to configure it so that the generator comes on automatically when the batteries need charging. I suspect your coach does as well. That's a great feature for dry camping,

TJ
Old 08-22-2018, 11:16 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
The fridge will run on the batteries...IF...(1) the batteries are charged and (2) the inverter is turned on and properly configured. When dry camping, you need to monitor your battery levels and charge them when they get to 50%.

I don't know about the 2012 Mountain Aire, but my 2018 has an energy management system that allows me to configure it so that the generator comes on automatically when the batteries need charging. I suspect your coach does as well. That's a great feature for dry camping,

TJ
I`m sure your 12 MADP is the same as my 11 MADP. Tranquil Jim is correct you can configure your Generator to auto start on battery voltage along with other ways. you also will need to insure that the auto start is enabled for the gen to auto start. The fridge will run on battery power.
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #5

Without shore power or generator power, the refrigerator runs off the inverter, which produces 120v power from 12v batteries. For the inverter to work, the batteries need sufficient charge, the inverter must be turned on and the circuit breaker on the inverter needs to be switched on.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
All I can add is USA appliances are made to run on 120 volt A/C +/- 10%. Lowest acceptable voltage is 108. Highest is 132. If you read the specs on your surge protector or power booster (like Surge Guard) you'll find they are in line with this.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
1. When dry camping, will the refrig run on battery power. I thought so but came in and refrig was off. Still showing 3/4 on battery power. Started the Gen and refrig came on immediately. Gen now off and refrig still running. Just curious so I will know if it shuts off again.

Your coach was designed to run the refer off of the inverter when there is no shore power, including while you drive. While driving, the refer is power by the inverter, which is powered by the batteries, which are being recharged by the alternator as you drive.

If you're batteries are too low, the inverter will shut off and save the batteries. That may have been what happened with yours. The Magnum control panel in your coach, also has an on and off switch for the inverter. The inverter should be left on unless you're storing the coach.

2. We have stayed in several places where we had only 30 Amp power. In a cool climate so AC nor heat necessary. At one place the voltage was jumping from 105 to 118 with only 15-20 amps required. Is this a problem with low volts? The amps did not jump around.

You're concern should be with the low voltage. Typically, when it starts bouncing around 105-106, your surge protector should shut down power, wait a designated period of time and recheck for power again. We recently got a site in an old park, 30 amp and 110 degrees outside and their power dropped to 100 volts and stayed there. My coach shut down and I had to move. Luckily, they had a spot closer to the main power supply with newer outlets. There it stayed at 112 volts without issue.

3. I have a surge protector but plugs in at the pole. I did not plug it up as I was unsure how it would react to not having the normal 50 amp service. How does this work. The protector is an older model and probably needs updating so do the newer ones handle thius without creating a problem>>or should I NEVER hook up to 30 amp.

You can plug in your 50 amp to 30 amp reducer (dogbone) into your surge protector and then plug into the shore power and your surge protector will still work.

If your surge protector is old and you're looking to replace it, probably the BEST surge protector, with the most features, is the Progressive Industries brand. Personally, I like to hardwire it inside the power reel bay and never have to deal with it again. On mine, it has a wired display that I attached to the power reel bay door. When I plug in, I can quickly see it go through its checks and tell me the power is okay. It also has a bypass switch should the surge protector fail.

4. Does the floor heat work on 30 amp. It was on but the floor did not feel as warm as usual.

Your floor heat will work as it normally does. You'll be limited to how many other things you can run, like hair dryers. Your energy management system will shut down the floor heat as you use other items, like a microwave or hair dryer. Once those items are off, the EMS will turn the floor heat back on. That may be why you felt the floor was not as warm. The floor heat may have been turning off and on.

These coaches are great when you have 50 amp shore power (which is really 100 amps to your coach). You really have unlimited power and can run anything you want.

Whenever you are camping with 30 amps, you really need to know how to manage your power. Things like turning off the hair dryer before running the microwave, or running the Oasis heating with just one heater (not both) and turning on the diesel heat as backup when the single A/C heater can't keep up.

You can be very comfortable on 30 amps, you just have to pay attention to your power consumption.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:39 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
IMO: Fantastic answers
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #9

Thanks for answering all of my questions. I had not been using the auto start for the generator but set it up last night. Gen came on after about 10-11 hours of use on batteries, showing 11 volts left. It turned off after 1 hour just as I had set it up.

I will be getting a new surge protector and have it permanently wired in, will not be a reason to not use it that way. I have stayed at parks where it was tough to hook up surge and then my plug into that.

Thanks for the heads up on the volts as well. Just hope I can remember all of this, saving for later use.

The floor hear was turning off/on so will limit some other stuff while using.

Thanks again for all the help, you guys are the best.

grovenewmar is offline   Reply With Quote