Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
Cool A couple of questions about Oasis heating System

On a couple of occasions I have noticed my Oasis heating system fans were on even though none of the thermostat settings were set to the furnace setting. Yesterday we were at the Freightliner Service Center in Gaffney, SC and when we got in the coach in the late afternoon after the appointment was completed I noticed the fans on again. The only way I get these to shut off is to turn off all 12 volt power by using the switch above the passenger's seat. When I turn the 12 volt power back on the fans don't come back on. Any ideas as to why fans would be coming on without the furnace being turned on?

Another issue related to the Oasis heating system that puzzles me is sometimes when the furnace setting is set to on I will feel air coming out of the overhead heating/air conditioning vents. I have double checked and no settings were in the HP mode only zone 1 and 3 were set to "Furnace". I didn't think the overhead vents were connected to the Oasis heating function.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The heat pumps work in conjunction with furnace, in QT's # 3 there are trouble chasing info in link and also DS Don has info in his Mod section.
I am sure Don will answer your question later to night he is on west coast.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #3

Maybe you need to reset the thermostat? That is the only thing the connects the Oasis and roof top units together.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have no clue as to why your fans are coming on. You might try a reset on the thermostat.

Your second issue happened to me on my last trip. I turned on the furnace and the heat pumps started. I thought it was a fluke and didn't worry about it. But.....today I was reading a post on another forum regarding an older Newmar. The post was by an A/C repair guy that posts frequently. He said the Heat Pumps were interconnected to come on with the furnace. Typically, they are, but only after the heat pump can no longer provide heat because the outside temp is too low. The system then tells the furnace to come on.

What he added that was new to me was that if there was a 5 degree disparity between the interior temp and the furnace setting...example.....Your interior is 60 degrees and you set the thermostat to 70 degrees, both systems will come on, even though you only turned on the furnace. I guess it tries to use everything it can to bring the heat up quickly. This makes sense, since we both had this issue, but I'm not sure if the info above is accurate.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Dutch Star Don,

This makes sense since my heat pump came on soon after turning on the furnace when the temperature difference between the coach temperature compared to the thermostat setting would have been greater than five degrees. The logic makes sense I just didn't understand that "intelligence" was built into the system.

As far as my fans coming on when the furnace is not on I am thinking it must have something to do with the engine maybe circulating hot water but I am not sure. The air coming out of the registers yesterday felt warm. I don't have the Engine Preheat option on my Oasis system and no switch is installed on the Oasis key pad/display.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
What he added that was new to me was that if there was a 5 degree disparity between the interior temp and the furnace setting...example.....Your interior is 60 degrees and you set the thermostat to 70 degrees, both systems will come on, even though you only turned on the furnace. I guess it tries to use everything it can to bring the heat up quickly. This makes sense, since we both had this issue, but I'm not sure if the info above is accurate.
Interesting statement.

One of my other mtr homes (Tiffin) had the HPs set up so that if there was 4° delta between the set point and the interior temperature the gas furnace would turn on as a supplemental booster to expedite the warming up process. Three to five degrees sounds reasonable.

A HP is only good down to roughly 40°. If the outside temp is 35° it should not be activated and the systems stays with the gas furnace or hydronic heating system. Maybe you could ask the tech what happens at a low ambient temp. I would be interested in his evaluation.

Now I have to go back to my manuals to see how my is set. So far only the Oasis runs even if I have a large delta on the interior and the outdoor ambient is in the mid 50s.

The fan issue is a stumper????
Bill-MACV21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerj View Post
As far as my fans coming on when the furnace is not on I am thinking it must have something to do with the engine maybe circulating hot water but I am not sure. The air coming out of the registers yesterday felt warm. I don't have the Engine Preheat option on my Oasis system and no switch is installed on the Oasis key pad/display.

You don't need the engine preheat to have the engine heat the Oasis, just for the other way around.

I will dig deeper into this in an upcoming post.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:21 AM   #8

The other day we had outdoor temp @31, so I turned on Oasis and set furnace to come on. Inside coach temp was 47 and only the furnace ran while set at 65. I set thermostat on furnace and not auto. Maybe that makes a difference if HP also runs? I have never used thermostat on auto. Will test on auto and find out what happens.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by osok View Post
The other day we had outdoor temp @31, so I turned on Oasis and set furnace to come on. Inside coach temp was 47 and only the furnace ran while set at 65. I set thermostat on furnace and not auto. Maybe that makes a difference if HP also runs? I have never used thermostat on auto. Will test on auto and find out what happens.
Ran out and turned Oasis on then set zone 1 & 3 thermostat for Auto. Both furnace and HP's came on. Left zone 2 off so do not know if that HP would have also came on.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Osok

I thought both might come on if I set to auto though, like you, I don't use the auto setting but when both came on I verified that the thermostat was set to furnace.

PDR John
I am hoping you are right and the engine was circulating hot water and automatically triggered the fans to come on. I wonder why it was doing that? I am not aware of something to set or turn on to tell it to do that.

Thanks for your help

Jack
Old 11-20-2014, 07:14 PM   #11

When ever the engine is running the coolant circulates, you can't stop it or change it.

There are 4 heater hoses coming off the engine, 20 to the dash and 2 to the Oasis.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks PDR John

I didn't know that. Does it do that in the summer too? Seems like that would be circulating heat when you don't want it.

Jack
Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you have the furnace turned off at the thermostat, the Oasis system goes into what is called summer loop. It will just supply heat for hot water. After a days driving, you'll have hot water, which is nice.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #14

Don is correct.

I've been spending a lot of time making some mods to the lighting, adding Oasis engine pump (which is amazing, makes a block heater seem weak) and doing general repairs over the last 3 weeks. During that time I've gotten to know things a lot better.

Don I think I may have come up with a way to ventilate your basement heat, I will expand when I make my mods post.

Tags
heating