Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Angry A Crappy Situation

We are staying at Sam's Town KOA in Las Vegas. They park the RV's facing different directions next to each other. As such, you share a common hookup pedestal with the RV next to you. We have been here nearly a week and a new RV pulled in this afternoon. About 15 minutes after their arrival I got a knock on my door. Our new neighbor introduced himself and then apologized for the sewer mishap he created while he was hooking up. Sadly we are very slightly downhill from his RV and well, it does flow down hill and splashed rather violently. It is hard to tell how much spilled but I am guessing several gallons of black tank yuck. All our hookups were splashed or soaked in it. This includes or electrical, cable TV, brown sewer slinky and our fresh water hose hooked up to the city water. Fortunately the hose hookup is about 18 inches off the ground so not directly impacted. The park maintenance staff came by and spread a powdered disinfectant, worked the soil, cleaned up as best they could, etc. My question is when we unhook in the morning, what do we need to do to properly clean and disinfect all our hookup stuff. What, if any, recourse do I have against the RV Park or RV owner. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for you input.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2017, 09:10 PM   #2

You mean the neighbor at fault didnt clean your utilities and rv side? Guessing all should be wiped with bleach/409 or washed where possible? Maybe paid you for a rv wash?
Old 01-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #3

I'd lay it all out on clean ground and hose it off.
Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you a hazmat suit? At the very least wear your oldest or most hated clothes and shoes and 2 pairs of rubber gloves. Then strip down and put on clean clothes as soon as you get inside sealing the crappy clothes and shoes in a bag until you either toss them or can wash them in hot water. I'd wear a mask also. Who knows what's in that powdered disinfectant. If it kills germs it can't be good for you.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:23 PM   #5

It sounds to me like time for a bit of bleach water and some sunlight . People these days take sewage way too seriously, as recently as 40 years ago many cities along the Mississippi river dumped raw sewage into the river and the next city down the river would then get its drinking water from the river. Simply put nature can take care of processing sewage all on its own given enough dilution, is it ideal no, but it is not really the end of the world either.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
First off don't touch anything. Hose it down with bleach. And don't use it sparingly. Then hose everything down and when you think your done, hose it down some more.
Least the guy manned up and admitted his mishap. So kudos to him. A lot of people now a days would deny they did it and say it was like that when they got there.
AS they say... [Mod Edit] happens. Pun intended.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 01:31 AM   #7

Talk about the "gift that keeps giving". You'll be recalling this incident every time you pull your power cord, water hose and turd herder out of the storage bay. There are some smells that just don't go away.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Just spray the outside of your hoses with some bleach and hose them off with water. They'll be safer than your own sewer hose which you do nothing but flush the inside with gray water before placing in your wet bay.

I built a separate storage area for my drain hose, but it still only gets a hose flush out with water after every use.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Spartan Chassis
With respect to bleach, 1 tablespoon per gallon is the recommended dilution. As you probably know, but just in case, be careful when using with other cleaners especially stay away from ammonia based cleaners. FYI-

http://ucfoodsafety.ucdavis.edu/files/26437.pdf
Russ - USN SWO (ret) - 2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan Chassis a Road Glide CVO & Dyna Switchback in an Iron horse trailer or a Jeep Unlimited Alliance Valor 40V13 toyhauler (on order) with Harley CVO ROad Glide and Dyna Switchback in the garage, pulled by a F350 DRW
Russtj60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 AM   #10

When my mother in-law had a sewer backup in her basement I was told by a friend who works for the sewer department that we should use a 10% bleach solution to clean everything.
I'd use 1/2 gallon of bleach in a 5 gallon bucket with a scrub brush to clean everything and then hose it down.
CWJK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
It sounds to me like time for a bit of bleach water and some sunlight . People these days take sewage way too seriously, as recently as 40 years ago many cities along the Mississippi river dumped raw sewage into the river and the next city down the river would then get its drinking water from the river. Simply put nature can take care of processing sewage all on its own given enough dilution, is it ideal no, but it is not really the end of the world either.

In my past life, as many a manhole that I have been in, or large sewer pipes I have had to walk through watching the sinkers and floaters whiz past and white paper hanging onto my boots, you would think I would be dead by now the way some people talk about sewage. Shoot, I worked on one project where we found a recycled sewer water pipe (cool looking purple color) that was supposed to be used for irrigation only was inadvertently tapped and used for a house drinking water supply for over a year! Try hot tapping into a sewer forced main. Most of the time it goes well, but occasionally......That's when you start to yell "#2 #2 #2, everyone out of the trench fast!"
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway4002 View Post
My question is when we unhook in the morning, what do we need to do to properly clean and disinfect all our hookup stuff. What, if any, recourse do I have against the RV Park or RV owner. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for you input.
As mentioned, a lot of bleach and water, then do it again.

As for recourse against the park or owner....accidents happen. Park reps did a course of action. It will not cost you anything more then a gallon of bleach and some old dirty clothes and rubber gloves, plus time to rectify the experience...plus as said, you will have a story to tell at your next park...
FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 02:18 PM   #13

Thanks to all who posted. As always there is a lot of good stuff from my fellow RV'ers. You pretty much reaffirmed what I figured was my course of action.
Runaway4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 05:13 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is an RV cleaning service that uses a truck mounted pressure sprayer. I think your neighbor should invite them to hose off your hoses.. But baring that A hand sprayer (The kind they sell for a dollar in the dollar store, like used for household cleaning
About 1 OZ of Chlorine bleach, then fill with water, and spray down the hoses, Then hose 'em off with fresh water.