Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-09-2018, 04:38 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TJ,

Will your MA come with Silverleaf? Our New Aire will and has accommodation for the PressurePro system. PressurePro sensors don't have user replaceable batteries, but they claim the batteries last 5-7 years.

I'm still trying to decide if this is acceptable to have the TPMS results integrated on my Silverleaf screens. I may go with the Eez system, but don't really want a separate monitor to clutter up the dash.

Alan
Aegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #30

I'll just add TST 507.
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Smart vs monitor

Any opinions on the smart phone systems versus the separate monitor systems?
roguefriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #32

Tire Minder has worked for me. Customer service good also. Had a question setting it up when I changed from one toad to another. Gave them a call and they walked me right through it.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefriar View Post
Any opinions on the smart phone systems versus the separate monitor systems?
Yes, I have three thoughts on on this subject:

1 - I already have too many apps on my phone, The continual updates are killing my data plan so I do not want any more apps.

2 - It is very comforting to glance over at the dedicated tire monitor as I drive to check pressures and know that if there is any loss of pressure or over temp, I will be notified even if my phone is still laying by the bed.

3 - I seldom have my phone within reach when I am driving. It is a distraction I do not need.

For these reasons, I am not interested in a TPMS that does not have a dedicated display system. Other will likely have other opinions.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:22 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
TST here, been using it 5 plus years. Had one bad sensor after the first year, replaced under warranty. Saved me a few times.
I am curious. I plan to get a system but don't have one yet. How many times has the system made a "save"? I'd love to hear some examples. Drove a truck in my much younger years and never had a tire problem. Other than regular checks of tire pressure I didn't give the tires a thought. Didn't have a TPMS.

Thanks for any input.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #35

I have never been "saved" by a TPMS. I have one for two reasons:

1 - I had two blowouts. The first one was a tire defect that caused a 2 inch square hole to appear in the sidewall of the tire. Because I did not notice the problem I drove almost 50 miles on the other tire which was grossly overloaded. My second blow out was a few thousand miles later when the damaged overloaded tire exploded. That one took out my leveling jack, furnace, duct, and other items near the wheel well.

Had I known about the first blowout I would not have damaged the second tire thus prevented the second blowout.

Like you, I drove cars, log trucks and a much earlier class A motorhome with no monitor and no tire problems. After having my current motorhome weighted I discovered the problem. The tires on my earlier vehicles were fairly lightly loaded compared to my current coach. When I last had the four corners of my coach weighed with it loaded and ready to go I was exactly at the maximum carrying capacity of the passenger side duals. Thus a drop in pressure of a few pounds meant the tire was overloaded. This is where a TPMS helps my piece of mind. I can tell at a glance when I start out if I have low pressure and it will tell me if I am running with a flat dual before I damage one or more tires.

In that sense I guess my TMPS has actually saved my money by protecting my tires.

2 - The TPMS reports the pressure in the towed vehicle tires. While I have never experienced a problem myself, I watched a motorhome towing a small pickup with the emergency brakes on. The tire slid along the ground until it popped, yet the driver did not know there was a problem and was dragging it along on the wheel dragging. I am not sure what happened next because I was trapped in traffic and unable to get the drivers attention. I just knew I did not want that to happen to me so I installed the TPMS.

In summary, it is all about comfort. I feel much safer knowing there is something watching that little thin piece of rubber between me and the road.

May you continue to travel with no tire problems.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:32 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
I have never been "saved" by a TPMS. I have one for two reasons:

1 - I had two blowouts. The first one was a tire defect that caused a 2 inch square hole to appear in the sidewall of the tire. Because I did not notice the problem I drove almost 50 miles on the other tire which was grossly overloaded. My second blow out was a few thousand miles later when the damaged overloaded tire exploded. That one took out my leveling jack, furnace, duct, and other items near the wheel well.

Had I known about the first blowout I would not have damaged the second tire thus prevented the second blowout.

Like you, I drove cars, log trucks and a much earlier class A motorhome with no monitor and no tire problems. After having my current motorhome weighted I discovered the problem. The tires on my earlier vehicles were fairly lightly loaded compared to my current coach. When I last had the four corners of my coach weighed with it loaded and ready to go I was exactly at the maximum carrying capacity of the passenger side duals. Thus a drop in pressure of a few pounds meant the tire was overloaded. This is where a TPMS helps my piece of mind. I can tell at a glance when I start out if I have low pressure and it will tell me if I am running with a flat dual before I damage one or more tires.

In that sense I guess my TMPS has actually saved my money by protecting my tires.

2 - The TPMS reports the pressure in the towed vehicle tires. While I have never experienced a problem myself, I watched a motorhome towing a small pickup with the emergency brakes on. The tire slid along the ground until it popped, yet the driver did not know there was a problem and was dragging it along on the wheel dragging. I am not sure what happened next because I was trapped in traffic and unable to get the drivers attention. I just knew I did not want that to happen to me so I installed the TPMS.

In summary, it is all about comfort. I feel much safer knowing there is something watching that little thin piece of rubber between me and the road.

May you continue to travel with no tire problems.

- Jerry
Thank you Jerry,
Those are some good reasons to have TPMS. Clearly you would have seen your first blowout had you been equipped. The toad example another good reason.
Good information.

All the best and safe travels.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2018, 06:58 PM   #37

I have another question to avoid starting another TPMS thread.

I looked at one unit that I can't remember the brand and is pretty popular here.
It had a sampling rate of 5 minutes. This seems a little long to me. A lot can happen in 5 minutes.

I looked at other brands and the sampling rate wasn't as evident. Does anyone know their sampling rate of their unit? I wouldn't have known about the sampling rate of the first one except someone mentioned it in a review.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #38

I have a Tireminder on my 3 axle fifth wheel. Got a rapid leak warning yesterday on a bridge on I 10 near Pascagoula MS, pulled into a rest stop less than a mile down the road, and thanks to Coach net, was on my way in less than 90 minutes. A simple roofing tack, and no permanent damage to the Tire. Without the TPMS, I could have destroyed the Tire and bodywork. Anyway, it just paid for itself. Mine samples over a period of seconds. I have had two false positives over 6 months and 7000 miles. Would not be without it.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #39

I don't think the 'sampling rate' is static, that is, the TPMS will detect and report any CHANGE in real time. If there is no change, that's where the 'sampling rate' comes in. No need to chat if you got nuthin' to say. Saves battery power.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #40

When I scroll through my tires I want the current pressure to show up. I had one of those cheap systems that allow you to replace batteries, but it did not measure up to my standards. Pressure Pro does. Every time.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:31 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
When I first used the TPM system I ran the tires 5 psi over manufacture recommended pressure found out real quick that running the pressure at recommended pressure is the way too go. Never thought I would need a TPM but glad I have one and would not leave without it on.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:53 AM   #42

I can only relate how the TST 507 system works, and it has worked perfectly for several years on different RV's we have owned.

It shows one tire on the diagram at a time and now with 12 tires being monitored on my current set up it may take 3 or 4 minutes to actually cycle through all. When it comes to each tire position it gives psi and temperature. However, it there is a sudden increase in temperature, or a sudden drop in psi then the audio and visual alarm will sound and it will immediately to the target tire. In other words, all the tires are being monitored all the time, it is just showing you one at a time on the screen.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote