Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A sliding door question for my learned collegues

Our 2005 Northern star has a set of bi-parting sliding doors that separate the bathroom shower and sink from the bedroom. These doors are grossly out of adjustment even with the coach is dead level. The gap between bottom and top is almost an inch. That said I need to get to the trolleys above the door to make adjustments before my OCD mind snaps (again).

There are two nicely sculpted 1/4" thick pieces of cherry wood that become a valance to hide the track and trolley wheels with one of these on each side of the door.

The question is:

How the heck do I take those thin valance pieces loose from the adjacent side walls and the ceiling without wrecking them? I see no fasteners, no nailers with brads. I am thinking they are pressure fit with some silicone or panel adhesive to keep them in place but I see no evidence of that either.

Photographs would help but the coach is in storage. I can't get there this week as I have an injury preventing that right now. I am trying to understand how I can get at the adjustments on these doors.

Opinions? <------That ought to solicit some conversation.
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome to the OCD club of which I too am a member in good standing.

To prove my club membership qualifications I'll report that today I turned the switch that controls the step cover 180 degrees. Now when I push the switch up the cover goes up. it used to be backwards. push the switch up and the cover would go DOWN. I couldn't live with that.

Newmar does a great job of filling nail holes with matching putty so they are HARD to see. You might have to get UP CLOSE and take off or put on your glasses (as needed) to find them

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
my understanding is that the gap between the bottom of the bypass doors and the flooring is intentional, possibly something to do with air flow throughout the coach. just an opinion.
NKK Member 21619 / FMCA Member 465836
rewillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNSNWT View Post
Welcome to the OCD club of which I too am a member in good standing.

To prove my club membership qualifications I'll report that today I turned the switch that controls the step cover 180 degrees. Now when I push the switch up the cover goes up. it used to be backwards. push the switch up and the cover would go DOWN. I couldn't live with that.

Newmar does a great job of filling nail holes with matching putty so they are HARD to see. You might have to get UP CLOSE and take off or put on your glasses (as needed) to find them
In my case it would be glasses off but I will take a better look at the valances today when I visit the coach to exercise the engine and generator.

As far as switch positions....well, yeah. They gotta be in the right position don't they? I feel your pain.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:03 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rewillia View Post
my understanding is that the gap between the bottom of the bypass doors and the flooring is intentional, possibly something to do with air flow throughout the coach. just an opinion.
Haha...well, my intention is to adjust them so that the gap is minimal. I guess I'll see if they'll come off without breaking or splitting them.

Tags
door