Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

AC on Eplex no more

Was in for service and while my front temp senser was being replaced also had them install duo therm cc stat. The cost was not that bad and now Eplex issues will not cause me to loose AC function. Tech had to reprogram Eplex and just used existing wire from Eplex unit and plugged it into new stat.

Rig is 2008 Essex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	131822  
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

I loved the layout and general e-plex display I had in my '07 Essex. I think it looked cleaner than the SilverLeaf I now have. The only plus for the SiverLeaf is how well it works. It is also quite a bit more pages and functions.
However, when you rely on getting A/C when it's hot out, it better work. You will now have the cool when needed.

Peter
Old 07-04-2016, 04:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Did you have the factory do the change over to the Domestic Thermostat and reprogram the Eplex? My Zone 1 Eplex Sensor is no longer operating.
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

Shamrock
I was having issues where the Eplex was locking up due to the temp senser for zone one being bad. Eplex would stay locked up until RV cooled off at night. This was an issue since we were and will be in a location that averages 95 daily. RV would cool but at a lesser rate since my front unit is out waiting for replacement to arrive. Eplex was reprogrammed by Newmar dealer that was doing the work after tech and I discussed options. I wanted cooling to work separate so if Eplex had issue I could still keep unit cool. So far working great. Front AC to be replaced in two weeks. This will also be done at Newmar dealer in city I am now in.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #5

How does the new controller get zone temp info? the existing sensors are tied to eplex.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #6

All they did was unplug the AC from Eplex and plug into the new stat. Stat uses the existing temp sensors.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapperbob11 View Post
All they did was unplug the AC from Eplex and plug into the new stat. Stat uses the existing temp sensors.
Aquahot/Hydrohot/furnace ?
Old 07-06-2016, 02:32 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hydro-hot and heat pumps should work normally. All the Eplex system does is emulate the Dometic thermostat commands. The rooftop units manage all the actual operation including commanding the Hydro-Hot system to take over when it gets too cold for the heat pumps. If you look under the midship bathroom sink you should find a Dometic control box. That is how the Hydro-hot is interfaced into the Dometic control system.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Hydro-hot and heat pumps should work normally. All the Eplex system does is emulate the Dometic thermostat commands. The rooftop units manage all the actual operation including commanding the Hydro-Hot system to take over when it gets too cold for the heat pumps. If you look under the midship bathroom sink you should find a Dometic control box. That is how the Hydro-hot is interfaced into the Dometic control system.

Yup ... that's the interface on my older (non-eplex) unit.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:05 PM   #10

My understanding is that I only need to turn on the Oasis boiler using the Eplex screen and then the new stat is used for everything else.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:13 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
I plugged in the new thermostat like the one you are showing and all I got was EE on the screen. Do you know how it was programmed?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:58 AM   #12

The stat was installed by a Newmar dealer. I have no idea what if any programming was done to the stat. He did hook a computer to Eplex to make program changes to it's software exactly what he changes in Eplex I can not say. Sorry
Old 07-07-2016, 09:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
I plugged in the new thermostat like the one you are showing and all I got was EE on the screen. Do you know how it was programmed?
The Dometic 5 button thermostat does not require any programming. Assuming you have the original units on the roof, the 5 button thermostat should connect via the cable that looks like a telephone cable and communicate with the rooftop units. EE is a communications error ... you can try a reset ... turn off the thermostat, hold the top button and the bottom button in (simultaneously) and turn on the thermostat.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:54 PM   #14

Trapperbob, brucelisa, azskier you guys saved my butt today. Sweltering in 90+ temps and high humidity and our acs (all 3 of them went out). Turned out to be the Eplex controller but after reading your thread here I purchased a 5 button dometic controller "just in case" and today was the day! Thanks again
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote