Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #1

While living in our condo in Florida during the winter, our coach will be stored nearby. We have found an outside covered storage facility (giant carports) with 30amp electrical. During the winter down here, we plan on using the coach for long weekends every six weeks or so. So, here's the question:
Should I leave the front air on, perhaps set to 80 degrees, to try and keep the humidity down in the coach during storage?
Or, should I get a free standing de-humidifier and run the drain line into the shower or kitchen sink?

The storage facility is in Punta Gorda, which is just north of Ft. Meyers.
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:29 AM   #2

While living in our condo in Florida during the winter, our coach will be stored nearby. We have found an outside covered storage facility (giant carports) with 30amp electrical. During the winter down here, we plan on using the coach for long weekends every six weeks or so. So, here's the question:
Should I leave the front air on, perhaps set to 80 degrees, to try and keep the humidity down in the coach during storage?
Or, should I get a free standing de-humidifier and run the drain line into the shower or kitchen sink?

The storage facility is in Punta Gorda, which is just north of Ft. Meyers.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Usually these facilities won't let you run an A/C. The electric service is for the refrigerator etc. Check with them first before you commit.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I really don't have any experience with this, but I think I would try the AC method and see how it works.

My big concern with the dehumidifier would be the draining on the water. You could set it in the shower with the door blocked open and not worry about draining the water.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 AM   #5

There is an extra charge for using the electric, so they really don't care what you run.

If I use the dehumidifer, I would put it in the shower. But then I have to store it when we use the coach.

I think I'll try the AC and see how that works.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But then I have to store it when we use the coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 AM   #7

I live in Punta Gorda. My MH sits next to my house, with one of the roof airs on and set at 90 degrees, during the warm months. November through May, I use a 25 pint dehumidifier. The humidity during those months are pretty low, so the dehumidifier isn't needed that much, if at all.
I use a roll of the foil covered bubble wrap, on the inside of the windshield and a towel over the screen door to keep the sun from coming through the window in the door.
I keep a humidity gage in the MH so I know what the relative humidity is inside, while it is parked next to the house. It rarely gets over 50%. I have to be careful that I don't get it too dry inside the MH. Don't think that would be good for the wood work or leather.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BCook57:

The storage facility is in Punta Gorda, which is just north of Ft. Meyers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
FYI:
Be sure and keep an eye on your batteries, being plugged in will run the water levels down.
jmon129 is offline   Reply With Quote