Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
AC1 and AC2

We’re out RVing in ND later than we should be. It’s snowing. The state park that we’re in only has 30 amp service. Can I run the furnace on AC1 and AC2 or am I going to have to run the diesel burner to keep warm tonight. Temp at about 30 degrees.
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2018, 06:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
We’re out RVing in ND later than we should be. It’s snowing. The state park that we’re in only has 30 amp service. Can I run the furnace on AC1 and AC2 or am I going to have to run the diesel burner to keep warm tonight. Temp at about 30 degrees.
You mean the heat pumps?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Heat pumps will only work to about 46 degrees or above.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
And you have to turn on your diesel burner to get the furnace to work. AC 1 and AC 11 are for the hot water only.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:18 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Below about 40 mine needs diesel.

Left YELL in time...but two a/c on in FL
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Each element is 1500 watts. Both on is 3000 watts or 25 amps at 120 volts. That doesn't leave anything for charging batteries, lights, refrigerator...

When I am on 30 Amps and it is cold I use AC1 and the oil burner. You can try it with just AC1 but the fans and pumps will run all the time. The oil burner will keep you toasty warm. We like the hydronic heat and don't use the heat pumps.

We unfortunately do not have the electric floor heat. That may be the best choice with the oil burner assisting.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:34 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
In our coach, the Oasis AC1 and AC2 elements will provide some heat in addition to heating water, but at 30 degrees, I would be running the diesel burner. We are still at our Western Montana place and the temps are dipping well into the 30s at night, so we're running the diesel burner.

We did discover last night that leaving the heated floors on the "4" setting (just comfortably warm on the feet) overnight kept the coach at 62-63 degrees all night. That's about where we like it for sleeping anyway. Not sure if your coach has electric floor heat, but if it does, that's another option...though you'll have to manage your current draw with a 30A service.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I want to correct myself about the AC1 and AC2. I was told that was for water in the summer mainly. To use the burner for heat. I believe you can use them. For heat after reading a couple of other posts. I've only had this coach since February so I'm still in the learning faze.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickemb View Post
And you have to turn on your diesel burner to get the furnace to work. AC 1 and AC 11 are for the hot water only.
Not on the newer coaches. We heat all the time with the Oasis on electric only.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Some misinformation...you can use AC1 and AC2 for furnace heat. The problem when on 30amp, you'll be pretty much limited to AC1. Overnight, when you have everything turned off, you might get away with running AC2. Your coach will shut down AC2 if you exceed the 30amps.

With that said, when on 30amp, I leave AC1 on and turn the diesel on as backup. If AC1 can't keep up the diesel burner will come on. This way I use electricity as much as possible and run the burner if more heat is needed.

Now here's another way to cheat a little. Typically, your the 30amp shore post has a second 15amp plug. Generally, these are on a separate circuit. If you have neighbors close by and don't want to blast them all night with the Oasis, you can run an extension cord inside the coach and plug an electric heater into it for the bedroom or main cabin.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Not to high jack this thread, but with all the talk about cold weather operation and the Oasis operation I thought of a question for you seasoned operators. On our Ventana we have the Hot Water by the generator valve and I was wondering, what keeps it from freezing in cold weather. The Oasis is supposed to heat the basement - automatically - but the generator compartment isn't closed. I was told to be safe run some pink stuff through that valve to essentially 'winterize' that outlet.

Real life opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Not to high jack this thread, but with all the talk about cold weather operation and the Oasis operation I thought of a question for you seasoned operators. On our Ventana we have the Hot Water by the generator valve and I was wondering, what keeps it from freezing in cold weather. The Oasis is supposed to heat the basement - automatically - but the generator compartment isn't closed. I was told to be safe run some pink stuff through that valve to essentially 'winterize' that outlet.

Real life opinions and experience would be greatly appreciated.
On ours, there is a shut-off valve for the front water line located in the forward cargo bay on the passenger side. Shut the valve off, then open the faucet in front and let the line drain.

TJ
Old 10-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
On ours, there is a shut-off valve for the front water line located in the forward cargo bay on the passenger side. Shut the valve off, then open the faucet in front and let the line drain.

TJ
I will have to check that bay, however our valve is on the drivers side. I any Ventana folks out there now where the shut off might be I would appreciate it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:07 AM   #14
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I will have to check that bay, however our valve is on the drivers side. I any Ventana folks out there now where the shut off might be I would appreciate it.
Sorry...mine is on the drivers side too. And, the valve is in the forward cargo bay on the DRIVER'S side. Don't know what I was thinking.

TJ