Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #1

Access to wet bay

Does anyone have an issue with accessing their wet bay on a Newmar with the full wall slide? It appears you have to get on your knees to dump your holding tanks, turn on your flushing valve, and/or any other activity in the wet bay. One who is somewhat age challenged will find this extremely inconvenient. Would appreciate comments from owners who have the full wall slide. Thanks for comments.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

This is correct. Our full wall slide does however have a small cutout to allow easier head access but not complete. I have to get on one knee or take the slide out in during dumping. I make my decision based on what I am wearing.

I don't have to dump that often so it is not really big deal. Once every three days is acceptable to me.

Phil

aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:16 PM   #3

Phil,

I understand your response. That is of course doable. We will keep our coach on an ownership lot fully hooked up for convenience as we are there about 50% of the time. I almost always dump my black tank daily especially in warm weather to avoid odors and etc so the inconvenient access seems to be a bit bothersome. We are really becoming a Newmar fan for so many other good reasons but this one concerns me.

Quinton (owner to be - hopefully)
Old 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Do a search for Dutch star don and check out the mod he did. He installed electric dump valves and put the switches inside of the coach along with a macerater switch. I think about doing it every time I crawl under the slide to dump the tanks
Good Luck
Jp
Mr JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:25 PM   #5

They are all pretty much like that no matter what brand you buy, so it really has nothing to do with Newmar. You would pretty much have to buy a MH with no slides to avoid what you are concerned with. I hook up all my wet bay stuff and electrical prior to putting the slides out as it is much easier. As far as dumping in my opinion you are dumping way to often if you do it daily. You should let the tank get around 3/4 full before you dump, as you will get a much better flow and it will get all the waste out. It should not cause any odors in your MH no matter how full your tanks are and if you do there are likely other issues with the system or you are not using it correctly, ie flushing the toilets with the fan on. I usually dump about every 4 days when we are traveling, and even then we are not near full. Then it's just a matter of pulling/pushing on the valve which is easy to do, even with the slide out.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
They are all pretty much like that no matter what brand you buy, so it really has nothing to do with Newmar. You would pretty much have to buy a MH with no slides to avoid what you are concerned with. I hook up all my wet bay stuff and electrical prior to putting the slides out as it is much easier. As far as dumping in my opinion you are dumping way to often if you do it daily. You should let the tank get around 3/4 full before you dump, as you will get a much better flow and it will get all the waste out. It should not cause any odors in your MH no matter how full your tanks are and if you do there are likely other issues with the system or you are not using it correctly, ie flushing the toilets with the fan on. I usually dump about every 4 days when we are traveling, and even then we are not near full. Then it's just a matter of pulling/pushing on the valve which is easy to do, even with the slide out.
X2!
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Agreed! If you buy a floorplan that puts a slide over the wet bay - you'll have this problem. If you buy a floorplan that doesn't - you'll no doubt be sacrificing floor space that could have been made usable if a slide were there. Pick your poison.

The wet bay is under the full wall slide in our coach ... as Mike suggests - performing your hook-ups before extending the wall slide certainly helps. But, in the big scheme of things - having to duck under the slide isn't a showstopper for most of us.

When we're in a park - it's the gray tank capacity that dictates when the tanks need dumping - and it's the # of showers taken (and/or loads of laundry done) that determine when the gray tank is full. If we both shower daily - we'll dump every 3rd day. I keep gardener's foam knee pad tucked in the wet bay to that I can at least knee once I bend down to empty the tanks.

If this is my only worry ... I've got no worries at all!
SpaceNorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
We were looking at Hershey last fall at a Ventanna 4037 we might be interested in down the road, loved the inside layout. Full wall slide-out really roomy, however, I went outside an was in disarray at the wet bay access especially having knee issues. Our current CS3953 has 4 slide-outs (essentially splitting the full wall in half) with no slide-out over the wet bay making access extremely easy....
Having said this, the full wall slide is awfully nice.....
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:16 PM   #9

Leave the gray tank valve open, and dump the black tank when the red light comes on. Works for me, and I don't even have a full wall slide.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #10

Newmar has a four slide model that leaves the wet bay wide open even with slides out.

I'm not sure if the name FULL WALL SLIDE clearly defines how much of the side wall is used for the slide. As stated before: Pick your poison, wide open inside and covered outside or wide open outside, close quarters inside.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:14 PM   #11

Same logic on keeping the grey valve closed until you have a good load of water in the tank. Helps flush out the particles in the grey tank. Good video out on the web from the gent that invented the Wastemaster system.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
No knees on ground

We have the full wall slide over the wet bay. I have never had to put one or both knees on the ground to hook up or to dump. Just duck your head down and either lean over or squat.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another somewhat simple solution is make yourself a pull/push stick. Broom handle with a 90 degree piece of aluminum or similar makeup to use. Store it in the bay during travel and next to the pedistal once hookups are complete. My thought as I'm getting older.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #14

I agree with everything that's been said. I bought some stadium seat cushions at WalMart to rest my old knees on while dumping.
Here's an issue I just found. It seemed that we were having to dump the black tank too frequently. This week when the red light came on the sink in the half bath wouldn't drain. I go out to dump and the sink immediately drained.
Found out my half bath sink drains into the black tank. Called Newmar, earliest appointment May 31st. To get it corrected.
If you're in doubt empty tanks, run water in half bath sink and see if the flow comes from the gray tank or the black tank.

Newmar Hoots looking for a roost
Bill Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote