Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
I found I can see under the shower pan by removing the heat vent in the bedroom on the opposite side of the wall from the shower.

When water is running in the shower, there is a fast drip right at the drain connection to the pan. So it appears that the flange is no longer sealed inside the pan or the pipe is cracked where I cant see it.

To get in there, the Oasis heat exchanger must be removed as it blocks any chance of getting an arm in there to repair.

Stay tuned...
My guess is if it's a leak at the flange at the pan, looks like the plumber's putty wasn't spread out well or the flange wasn't tightened. I'd loosen the flange , add more putty and re-tighten.

I have the same bath and a half configuration but also have an access panel to the shower base at the master bedroom floor area.

Good luck

Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #16

Can you run a bead of silicone sealant around the flange (where it meets the pan) to provide a temporary fix?

Old 12-29-2015, 08:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Can you run a bead of silicone sealant around the flange (where it meets the pan) to provide a temporary fix?
The thought has crossed my mind more than once. Not sure how reliable it would be to seal it this way however. Might try it as a last resort till I get back home in April. For now, I'm using RV park showers working on a proper fix.
Old 12-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #18

Just finished repairing my leak under the shower. Removed the vents on outside of my shower pan and took loose elbow apart, then installed new plumbers putty and added a better rubber gasket on elbow. Tighten everything and tested ok.

Looking back the trouble started after first complete cleaning of shower after traveling for 3 months.
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #19

Craig and Austin from Extreme RV Service came out yesterday to work on the leak. If you need a mobile repair in Portland OR, they did a good job.

The Oasis heat exchanger blocking access to the space under the shower was pulled out of the way. There was just enough service length on the hoses.

The drain was disassembled. We discovered that the flanged tailpiece that forms the shower drain was not tightened enough. The butyl caulk was not compressed very well and the flange cocked in the recess of the shower pan. The tailpiece was reset with new caulk and securely tightened. No more leak under the shower pan.

This morning, after taking a shower, there is another puddle of water coming out from under the shower pan onto the bathroom floor. I checked for leaks under the shower pan and found none.

After a quick call to Newmar CS. I pulled the 2-handle shower/diverter valve and found it leaking badly out the back of the valve (and down the inside of the wall) when the cold water was turned on.

I went over to Camping World and bought a new shower valve. It worked fine when installed. No leak.

So there were 2 unrelated leaks happening. I would not have discovered the drain leak had the shower valve not been leaking to catch my attention. (does that make me lucky the valve was leaking?)

The coach was winterized with pink stuff run through all the fixtures so there is little chance the failure was caused by freeze damage.

Newmar customer service has been very helpful.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalama View Post
I pulled the 2-handle shower/diverter valve and found it leaking badly out the back of the valve (and down the inside of the wall) when the cold water was turned on.
I got bit by that one on my Ventana. Easy to fix. Confounding that you had two leaks at once.

Hopefully leak-free showers from here on out.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Hopefully leak-free showers from here on out.
Not sure if we're home free just yet. Find out tomorrow after the caulk is all cured.

For sure the drain flange was leaking. For sure the shower valve was leaking. I could see a fast drip on both. I just can't figure out how water got on top of the tile in order to leak out into the bathroom.

I'm starting to think maybe there is a hole under the shower enclosure/door track. The track is not caulked on the inside (it is caulked on the outside) and if there were a hole, it would leak down onto the tile. If I'm still seeing water after showering tomorrow, the enclosure will have to be removed from the pan to see if there is something going on under the track.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:18 PM   #22

We've been using the shower for the last few days with no further leaks or water on the floor.

I'm going to check with Newmar on Monday to see if the faucet that came on the coach might have a warranty longer than the one year from Newmar. Seems like I should get more than 5 months use over 2 years out of a faucet.

One final thought. If you see butyl caulk squishing out from around the shower drain as ours did, it might be worth checking underneath for hidden leaks and drips.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #23

It doesn’t seem to matter if we use our motorhomes or not, the repairs and maintenance will continue. Thanks for the update and hopefully no more drips.
Vivarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
I had a leak in my shower drain assembly, and just recently got it fixed properly. I found out that the cheap plastic drain was tightened from below with a cheap plastic nut and plumber's putty for the seal below! There should only be plumber's putty under the drain flange on top - not below! So I replaced the plastic parts with metal parts and used a rubber washer and also a cardboard washer (to reduce friction when tightening the nut against the rubber washer). Got a good bead of plumber's putty on top and took a pair of channel locks to tighten the metal washer from below (had my son hold the top drain still with a pair of needle-nose pliers). I've had absolutely no leaks since then (about 3 weeks of full-time use with 3 people). Now my insulation below the P-trap is finally dry and I can remove the little bowl I've had under there for months catching the drips I'll try to post a pic of the completed connection.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:36 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Attaching pictures on this forum is a little challenging (the picture is upside down for some reason), but hopefully you can see the rubber washer, the cardboard washer, and the metal nut that was tightened up against the uneven surface of the underbelly of the fiberglass shower pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proper Connection.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	118813  

Tags
shower