RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2010, 10:14 AM   #1

Add Slide Topper to Slide under Patio Awning

I have a 2008 Newmar 3910KS

I am interseted in putting a slide topper on the kitchen slide, however that is also where the patio awning is. I'm tyring to figure out if there is enough room to mount the brackets, etc and not get in the way of the awning.

Has anyone done this or know if it's possible ?

The reason I'm doing this is because of high wind or rain, the awning rolls itself up, and they the slide to gets wet..I've already had to repalce the entire seal, I'm thinking this may help with keepign moisture off of that slide seal.

Randy Cunningham

rjcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Randy,
Do not put a topper on that slide. Consider the following to keep the slide top dry.

1. Extend the slide.
2. Open the main awning far enough so the joint in the middle of the forward arm is the same distance from the coach side as the slide wall.
3. Turn off the auto retract feature.

When breaking camp, always close the slide first, then retract the awning. Any water or debris on the awning will fall to the ground.

I have done this for 5 years, with total success. The awning is not out far enough to be bothered by wind. The top of the slide stays debris and water free.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ditto on the above. I swept the roof off a several times before I figured out the same thing. Only difference is I seldom turn off the auto retract and the wind has never activated the slide when it is out just enough to cover the slide.
imgoin4it is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #4

Gary, You say "Do not put a topper on the slide." Why not?

Joe
Bahamabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The locks on arms for slide will cause dipples in your main awning when out or put groves in main awning.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions..I was looking for easy/no thinking solution, but what you have said makes perfect sense. I'll give it try soon, heading to Key West on Christmas day for 2.5 weeks.
rjcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bahamabay,
The reasons I say do not put a topper over the passenger side living area slide are (in no particular order of importance):

1. What 007 posted.
2. I'm cheap and do not spend $s where is it not needed. I see no value in adding a topper to the passenger side slide. Putting out the main awning following my earlier post instructions allows me to use what I've already paid for. The arms are in far enough so one should not hit their head on the arm elbow.
3. If one wants shade for those windows one can purchase a window awning. This is what I did. Got window awnings for all my windows (from Newmar). For me it is too much to worry about trying to remember to retract the main awning before leaving the coach and then re opening the awning when we return. Extending the main awning to cover the slide (now the main awning's job) and lowering the window awning gives me what is needed.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 AM   #8

Ok. Thanks for the info.

Joe

Bahamabay is offline   Reply With Quote