Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Adding a cutout to cargo bay

I installed a pressure washer in the passenger forward bay and I would like to have a “cutout” in the floor like the water hose cutout On the other side so I can pull the washer hose out and close the bay door. What’s involved and how do I do that?
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It might be easier to go thru the floor with something like the Sewer exit, maybe smaller.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #3

floor

The more I think about this mod I think you are right. I can put a "quick connect" between the washer wand and the hose and I need to add a very small hole with a cover into the floor to drop the hose through and pull it out under towards the side of the coach. Any thoughts on how to cut the floor and what material is the floor? My basement floor has carpet so I am thinking it is some fiberglass wood combo. I don't want to touch it unless I have a clear idea what I am doing.
Orinda, CA
Old 11-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post
The more I think about this mod I think you are right. I can put a "quick connect" between the washer wand and the hose and I need to add a very small hole with a cover into the floor to drop the hose through and pull it out under towards the side of the coach. Any thoughts on how to cut the floor and what material is the floor? My basement floor has carpet so I am thinking it is some fiberglass wood combo. I don't want to touch it unless I have a clear idea what I am doing.
I did the same on my current coach; drill a small pilot hole dead center of where you want your hose to go. Mine was metal, and really tough to do. Since the hole was only 1 1/4 inch, I just used a grommet to protect the hose from the sharp edges, and left it open. Never experienced any issues. I did use a hole saw for the final hole size.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post

Out of the wet bay of a 18 DS 4369, you can use a strong magnet to check prior to drilling.
What about putting a PVC pipe through the floor with a 90 elbow and quick release fitting? I would use a flexible hose between the unit and this pipe to allow for movement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	266596  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:22 AM   #6

sheridany-

The Newmar folks, such as "Stuart W" above, can tell you what to expect with your coach. Our coach has molded plastic storage bays, with steel supports. I suspect the plastic was easier to drill through than the sandwich he shows.

That said, I added this hatch to our coach's wet bay floor,:

Valterra Black A10-2137BKVP Medium Round Cable Hatch

It fits a garden hose just fine. There are others (example here), slightly larger. Make sure the "skirt" is deep enough to go through the wet bay floor.

I bought a hole saw just large enough to fit the hatch. It required a strong, corded drill and a two-handed grip.

Pick a flat spot. Make sure you have room above the location to use the drill with the hole saw mounted on it. Look underneath for anything in the way. Measure carefully, then drill a 1/8-inch hole in the center. If it's where you want it, drill a 1/4-inch hole for the hole saw's mandrel. If not, then measure again and drill the small hole again. Epoxy/tape/etc. can fix a 1/8-inch hole better than a four-inch hole!

Oh, don't forget the hatch has a lip. If you do, you may try to place it too close to something else.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

Excellent

Excellent advice and thank you! Thank you Stuart W for the pictures of the floor layers as that gives me context on what I am dealing with.
Orinda, CA
Old 11-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Added this to mine for powerwasher. Picked up parts while at the factory.Click image for larger version

Name:	20190930_191325.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	266641Click image for larger version

Name:	20190930_191317.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	266642
Old 11-12-2019, 11:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Adding a cutout to cargo bay

I should point out that Newmar uses two pieces, the one that goes in from the top (pictured above) and another flange from the bottom to seal the floor space. I highly recommend sealing both the top and bottom..
(Picture taken over sink courtesy the famous Neal C)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4649.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	266644   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0555.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	266645  

Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote