Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 05:46 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Question Adding a wet bay exit hole (5 inch)

I have the two parts for the wet bay sewer drain port, the white screw collar and the black flange that goes below it. Has anyone drilled a second exit port for the wet bay? I'm thinking of adding one better lined up with the sanicon when I get that install completed and finalized. It's a 5 inch hole. Just curious if there are any concerns about drilling it and even if it's possible to get through the materials involved? I have a bi-metal 5 inch hole saw. I'll put it at the same position as the existing one most likely, just towards the hose reel.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 06:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
I have the two parts for the wet bay sewer drain port, the white screw collar and the black flange that goes below it. Has anyone drilled a second exit port for the wet bay? I'm thinking of adding one better lined up with the sanicon when I get that install completed and finalized. It's a 5 inch hole. Just curious if there are any concerns about drilling it and even if it's possible to get through the materials involved? I have a bi-metal 5 inch hole saw. I'll put it at the same position as the existing one most likely, just towards the hose reel.

Haven't tried it but I think I'd pull the original collar out and have a look at the layers in the bottom of the compartment.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Shouldn't be a problem. I assume you looked that there aren't any structual supports in the way, that the water pan is tight to the floor there (no hollows inbetween) etc. Drill from bottom up. ie: thru the steel, then the plastic. And, the two holes don't overlap which would prevent either of them from getting a fitting to close...
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

Neal, with a 5" hole saw, you better be holding on to that drill motor. I've seen people break wrists using a large hole saw when it decided to bite in.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinfla View Post
Neal, with a 5" hole saw, you better be holding on to that drill motor. I've seen people break wrists using a large hole saw when it decided to bite in.
NealC ... I just looked but can't find it, but I do remember someone posting a picture of what the bottom looks like as to a cross section of the different materials. He had cut a bigger hole through his floor. If you find it ... please post it again as I am getting ready to enlarge the factory sewer hose hole in mine as it needs to move about 2" to better fit the outlet.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
NealC ... I just looked but can't find it, but I do remember someone posting a picture of what the bottom looks like as to a cross section of the different materials. He had cut a bigger hole through his floor. If you find it ... please post it again as I am getting ready to enlarge the factory sewer hose hole in mine as it needs to move about 2" to better fit the outlet.

FLSteve
I think it may have been in one of the Sanicon threads. I'll scan for it. I'd like to see a picture of the problem you're experiencing and why you need to fix the hole.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks google!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/have...or-424269.html
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I'd like to see a picture of the problem you're experiencing and why you need to fix the hole.
I still use the "large gravity hose method" and when I install a 90 degree fitting to look straight down it extends past the factory hole. I have the shortest 90 degree fitting I can find so just need to move the hole out a few inches. Will post a picture when I get home.

FLSteve
Old 02-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are the images and parts/prices I got from Newmar (Joe G.)

PN 23815 - $22.13 (black flange)
PN 49736 – $10.18 (screw top)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flange-schematic.png
Views:	66
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	234705  
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll have to measure the hole or wait to hear back from Stuart in the other thread. Not exactly sure on the hole diameter just yet.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSteve View Post
I still use the "large gravity hose method" and when I install a 90 degree fitting to look straight down it extends past the factory hole. I have the shortest 90 degree fitting I can find so just need to move the hole out a few inches. Will post a picture when I get home.

FLSteve
Ours is the same way-- just a bad install. I can just barely get a 90 on there, but it ends up pointing toward the center of the coach. So, I put a 45 on the 90 to get the flow shooting back toward the Drivers side.
Are you going to move the existing hole or try to find a larger port ?
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
Are you going to move the existing hole or try to find a larger port ?
I am going to just try to move the hole about 2" away from the outlet (towards the edge of the wet bay) and fill in the back side to keep it round. Can't use a hole saw since I am only doing a partial circle cut out ... so will have to use a normal saw. Will keep you posted.

FLSteve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2959.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	234844  
Old 02-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I still would like to see a picture of this. You may be able to actually slide your gray/black toward the door. Empty both and they are quite light and see if there is any movement. When I was replumbing my gray side from 1.5 to 3 inch plumbing the black tank actually moved left/right, which helped, this may have been their design. You'll also see wooden cross support for the tanks. I think you would be better off correcting the plumbing position vs. a physical hole change. Something was not done right in there but I think you could correct it with a good look at it. Or have Newmar correct it under warranty. You may destroy your wet bay floor.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
You may destroy your wet bay floor.
NealC ... you are scaring me ... however it's a very good thought and I will definitively check that before doing any cutting. If I could just gain 1" ... it would work.

FLSteve