Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #1

I have an 06 KSDP but it came with only 2 house batteries, can I add 2 more? if so, how do I hook them up?

05 Pontiac Sunfire
Rjcarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2006, 02:27 AM   #2

I have an 06 KSDP but it came with only 2 house batteries, can I add 2 more? if so, how do I hook them up?

05 Pontiac Sunfire
Old 01-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #3

Hooking them up would be the least of challenge. If they are all 12 volt you would wire them parallel, positive to positive, negative to negative. If they are 6 volt wiring them in series pairs. The real challenge will be where to mount them and whether the charger will require replacement to handle the larger amperage storage. The location must be well ventilated yet protected. This is typically difficult to do as most coaches use up all the space efficiently not leaving many choice locations. Perhaps you have that one solved, I'm not real familuar with the '06 KSDP. Was it even an option from Newmar?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:57 AM   #4

To; Rjcarbo;

My rig came with 4 6 volt batteries wired series/parallel and I added 4 more 6 volters in the engine compartment by removing the rubber boot/ shield that Newmar has on both sides of engine. I had a local welding shop fabricate a rack to hold new batteries and engine heat isn't a problem because there is a lot of air circulation.

Another important thing, I upgraded all battery wirig to 4/0 welding cable for less loss in wires.

Also, after talkig to Interstate and Xantax, I am waiting for the temp to go up so I can CROSS-TYE the batteries, this they say will let battreies equalize better ???

Hope this info is useful..

Thanks,..======AJBJRVERS
Old 01-22-2006, 02:38 AM   #5

Ajbjrvers, What is "Cross-Tye"? I'm not familuar with that term and I always like to learn something new.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Battery questions come up often. Here's some information we have posted in our blog: Battery Info

Mac
Old 01-23-2006, 02:39 AM   #7

To; Lug Nut;

I have to go down to the rig to get my paperwork on cross-tieing.

I think it connects the two posts on set of 2 6 volters together so everything is tied together.

Not sure ,but I am going down to rig later and I will post actual info.

I have an all in one, printer, scanner, copier and fax and I've heard I can put something in scanner which is transfered to computer and then it ALL GOES AWAY,, WHERE?? I don't know,,

I'll be back this PM

Thanks==== AJBJRVERS
Old 01-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #8

I do have the room in the battery tray. It looks like Newmar forgot to add the additional batteries. I think I will call Newmar to find out if the charger has to be replaced, hope not.
Thanks, I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out

05 Pontiac Sunfire