Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Smile Adding built-in soap dispensers to counter tops

I can't remember who did this recently and gets the honors, I think it was FLSteve, but I hate stowing and retrieving the hand soap bottles at each stop. I have one of these built in soap dispensers at home and really like it and with my Evil Kenevil mod addiction I figured I'd go ahead and install these as well. Heck, Newmar is only 12 hours away, let's do it!

I changed my master bath faucet to a Moen and like it so I figured I'd order Moen soap dispensers too, brushed nickel. They came and I ordered a new hole saw kit knowing I'd need a 1-1/8" hole per my measurements, oddly Moen doesn't tell you the size to drill.

I read up on all the tips here and also did my usual YouTube research such as how to drill through Corian counters, etc. so I donned my parachute and figured it's time to pull off this stunt.

Before I dove into the big counter, the kitchen counter, which I know is a $4K counter per my inquiry with Newmar to get a single bowl sink installed, umm, no, not doing that, I would start with the master bathroom. First is obviously plan where the hole is going to go, left vs. right, obstructions, etc. I took a close look and saw there was a mount or shim I had to miss so some measuring, etc.

Stuart had a great suggestion with the wet bay hole I'm destined to drill soon in testing using a box and with multiple boxes arriving on my doorstep daily, for some reason, I had one to use as a test so I drilled into it, checked the fit, all was good, let's do the counter. Mild shaking ensued, pit in the stomach, will Karma pay me a visit or leave me alone?

I drilled a pilot hole first per recommendations, I used the same size bit that the hole saw uses, or close. MISTAKE! LEARN FROM MY LESSONS! You want to use a smaller bit because the bit in the hole saw stabilizes the hole saw. I had a little bit of wobble, oh joy, but it ended up fine. It was harder than I thought to get through the counter but slow and steady not burning or splintering, of course masking tape applied which I forgot to mention. Ahh, purrty hole, in the soap dispenser went. UH OH! Karma has just paid me a visit and he wasn't invited! I made sure the hole was clear of obstructions but I did not visualize or DRY MOUNT so to speak the under side and sure enough my pretty hole lines up perfectly with the sink drain pipe heading to gray.

I'm so glad Alvin isn't doing the estimator thing anymore or I was going to have to face him again but let me see if I can solve this first. So I figured let's cut down the threaded tube and get the clearance I needed for the soap bottle to be above the pipe. Okay, that seems like it's going to work but now I need to cut down the pickup tube, etc. It is not happening! Karma, I hate you.

So off to Lowes I go and can't find separate soap dispensers, they seem to come bundled with kitchen faucets. So I asked for help and was lead to the soap dispensers they sell which is ONE in four different finishes. So I got the brushed nickel and the satin stainless, they were all of $25 ea vs. $50 for the Moen. Back to the coach and thank you anti-karma - it worked perfectly and in fact I like this one better because it's a top fill setup, no need to disconnect the bottle from below. Sheeeeyouuuuuh! Saved!

So now it's time for the kitchen, gulp. Left vs. Right again and this one could also really get you if you don't learn from my lessons. I would have liked to mount it right but the narrow sliding drawer right of the sink angles back AND the drain pipes go off to the right so left it is. Ha, Karma you're not getting me this time! I drilled after measuring, masking, checking for meteorites, etc. and have me a nice clean hole. I tried the other Moen I had for it, didn't like it (going back to Amazon) and used the satin stainless as my kitchen faucet is a little more shiny than the Moen faucet in the master bath. Nope, not a good match, back to Lowes and time for the brushed nickel for this one too which matches nicely. Soap dispenser installed, soap installed, test, it works great, looks great.

So learn from me! Let's review for your test:

1) Not only make sure the hole is clear but make sure the assembled under sink setup will clear

2) Use a smaller drill bit for the pilot hole than what is used in your hole saw

3) Drill slow and steady

4) Arrive at your coach with a full tank of gas for multiple runs to Lowes

5) Enjoy never having to deal with soap bottles at a CG again

FYI, I did this now so as to find anything I can to avoid putting my wet bay panel back up! Dreading finishing that project but I think that's this coming weekend. Stay tuned for more entertainment by NealC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	235480   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0056.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	235481  

Name:	IMG_0051.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	235482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	235483  

Name:	IMG_0054.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	235484  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looks nice. I hate the soap bottles also so will do the same thing. I have never seen a pilot bit that wasn't 1/4". Did you find a tapered bit?
Old 02-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Looks great Neal, thanks for being so candid, helps everyone learn.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Well done Neal! Looks nice.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 PM   #5

I did this to our fifth wheel and then a neighbors fw. I didn't drill a pilot hole first, I just used the hole saw drill through the Corian counter top. We use Dawn Ultra dish soap in the pump which can be used for dishes or hand washing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Soap Dispenser.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	235512  
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:56 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
good job
when i did mine, i had no idea about drilling through corian...
then i found out corian is french for thermosetting polymer.

corian told me i had to hire a licensed corian contractor....
hmm i just went slow and steady...
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
Before I dove into the big counter, the kitchen counter, which I know is a $4K counter per my inquiry with Newmar to get a single bowl sink installed ...
Great job NealC … I remember that feeling when you first starting drilling into a perfectly good counter and wondering "what's going to happen". Thanks for telling the story. Now others may follow in your foot-steps.

FLSteve
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #8

For those of you that may have the same finish on your Kitchen Facuet- Polished Nickle i bought the Kohler K-1893-C-SN from Amazon ($50) and its just about a perfect shape and finish to the faucet in my Coach. I used a spade bit to drill hole but like everyone else it”s a little scary till install is complete, good luck
Old 02-20-2019, 06:10 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
At my sticks and brick I bought vinyl tubing to put over the pickup tube. Set a large refill size soap container on the floor and pulled right from it. I have had it for over a year and never had to get under the sink to change it. I may do the same in the RV if I can figure out how to secure it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:20 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
At my sticks and brick I bought vinyl tubing to put over the pickup tube. Set a large refill size soap container on the floor and pulled right from it. I have had it for over a year and never had to get under the sink to change it. I may do the same in the RV if I can figure out how to secure it.
Oooh, that one is gorgeous. More spare boxes may be coming for hole drilling!
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
The pilot hole first method(same size as the pilot drill on your hole saw, most 1/4”) is not mandatory. What it does for you is allows you to start out with a very small hole that you can look at top and bottom (1/8) inch to make sure your location is correct, although not great you could put silicon in a 1/8 inch hole if you had to. Next go to the 1/4 inch size of the hole saw pilot , this assures that the hole saw won’t walk or slip. Of course If your confident you can drill it all in one step.
Old 02-20-2019, 06:57 AM   #12

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Adding built-in soap dispensers to counter tops

By drilling a 1/8 hole first for a 1 1/8 hole you could move the finished hole 9/16 of an inch in any direction and still be ok
Old 02-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
By drilling a 1/8 hole first for a 1 1/8 hole you could move the finished hole 9/16 of an inch in any direction and still be ok
Now I get it. Thank you
Old 02-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #14

Had soap dispensers in my old coach. When it was in storage and got hot, the soap would dry up in the nozzle rendering the pump useless. Just something to consider.