Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #1

I've posted three additional NHTSA documents re: this recall on the Yahoo Newmar Owners forum in the files section under Dometic Refer Recall. They are a copy of the letter being sent to the customers, the reimbursement procedures and one on how to find the serial number and turn off the gas. Here's a link to the folder where they are:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newmar...efer%20Recall/

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2007, 12:36 PM   #2

I've posted three additional NHTSA documents re: this recall on the Yahoo Newmar Owners forum in the files section under Dometic Refer Recall. They are a copy of the letter being sent to the customers, the reimbursement procedures and one on how to find the serial number and turn off the gas. Here's a link to the folder where they are:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newmar...efer%20Recall/

Jack

Old 03-23-2007, 11:51 PM   #3

According to Newmar CS and the NHTSA website under newmar, the recall dates are 1997-2003 models. But I have a 2004 Newmar.

I called Dometic with the model and serial # to double check and you guessed it. Mine is on the recall.

Not sure how Newmar keeps track of the equipment in my motorhome, but something fell of the tracks for the Dometic Frig Recall.

Workingnoway
and Loving it
Sitting still until
2004 KSDP
Freightliner built 6/30/03
NHTSA recall 03V-488
and ......
Workingnoway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 AM   #4

You may have a 2004 model year motorhome, but many of the components in the motorhome may be from a previous year. I have a 2004 Mountain Aire, but my chassis is a 2003, my appliances are also all 2003. When Dometic is talking about the model year, they are referring to their refrigerator model year, not the motorhome. The last I heard, Dometic was dealing with individual dealers directly on this recall rather than through the motorhome manufacturers. So far, my dealings on it have been directly with Dometic and my dealer. I haven't involved Newmar at all.

Jack

Old 03-24-2007, 07:42 AM   #5

Jack: My MH was purchased use with warranty and I use the NHTSA website for my recall info. Here is a copy of the Newmar recalls since the first of the month and as you may see Newmar list the model and year of model:

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
NEWMAR / ALL STAR 1997-2003

NEWMAR / AMERICAN STAR 1997-2003

NEWMAR / AMERICAN STAR LIGHT 1997-2003

NEWMAR / DUTCH STAR 1997-2003

NEWMAR / KOUNTRY AIRE 1997-2003

NEWMAR / KOUNTRY STAR 1997-2003

NEWMAR / LONDON AIRE 1997-2003

NEWMAR / MOUNTAIN AIRE 1997-2003

NEWMAR / SCOTTSDALE 1997-2003

Manufacturer : NEWMAR CORPORATION

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 07V075000 Mfg's Report Date : FEB 15, 2007
Component: EQUIPMENT:RECREATIONAL VEHICLE
Potential Number Of Units Affected : 16190
Summary:
CERTAIN CLASS A AND DIESEL PUSHER MOTOR HOMES AND FIFTH WHEEL TRAILERS EQUIPPED WITH A TWO-DOOR REFRIGERATOR, MANUFACTURED BY THE DOMETIC CORPORATION, MAY HAVE A DEFECT IN THE BOILER TUBE. PRESSURIZED COOLANT SOLUTION COULD BE RELEASED INTO AN AREA WHERE AN IGNITION SOURCE (GAS FLAME) IS PRESENT.
Consequence:
RELEASE OF COOLANT UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS COULD IGNITE AND RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
NEWMAR WILL BE WORKING WITH DOMETIC IN ORDER TO REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS (PLEASE SEE 06E076). DOMETIC WILL REPAIR THESE REFRIGERATORS BY INSTALLING A SECONDARY BURN HOUSING, A THERMAL FUSE, AND A MELT FUSE FREE OF CHARGE. DOMETIC HAS RETAINED STERICYCLE INC. TO MANAGE THIS CAMPAIGN. STERICYCLE WILL ASSIST YOU IN LOCATING DEALERSHIPS OR SERVICE CENTERS AND WILL PROVIDE ASSISTANCE WITH SCHEDULING OF APPOINTMENTS. OWNERS MAY CONTACT DOMETIC AT 1-888-446-5157, STERICYCLE AT 1-317-860-1163, OR NEWMAR AT 1-574-773-7791.
Notes:
CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

Workingnoway
and Loving it
Old 03-24-2007, 07:58 AM   #6

The recall you're referenceing is a different recall number than the one we are all talking about. See NHTSA recall number: 06E076000 which was issued in November of 2006. My motorhome is not included in the Newmar recall, but it is included in the Dometic recall. I also have not received a recall letter from Newmar, but I have from Dometic. I'd strongly urge you to contact Dometic and make sure you're on the recall list they are compliling and then they will line you up with a service center to get the correction done. My dealer has already ordered my repair kit from Dometic. When he tried to order it from Newmar he was told I wasn't part of the recall. Dometic says I am and emphatically warned me not to run my unit on propane. It may also be worth noteing that the formal letter I received authorizing my repair is from Dometic and not Newmar. If you go to the Yahoo site, you'll also see that Brent (a certified Newmar tech) is saying the same thing, that it's not a Newmar recall that we're talking about. You may also want to read all the letters from Dometic, Dometic's attorney's and Dometic's proposed fixes that are located in the files section of the Yahoo site. None of them reference Newmar or any other Manufacturer. The quote you're referenceing also states that "Newmar will be working with Dometic" which further points out to me that Newmar is going to "help" Dometic handle the situation. I think you'll find you'll get faster action by going directly to Dometic. They also have a screen on their web site where you can put in your model and serial # and it will tell you if you're part of the recall. It's too bad Newmar is missinforming people as to whether or not they're involved.
All I can say is if someone chooses to ignore the Dometic recall, I hope they don't camp next to me.

Jack

Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 AM   #7

I finally had a chance to take a closer look at the notice Newmar has posted to the NHTSA web site re: units included in this recall. Take note that the heading of the column where they list the years is: "Model/Build Years" It is not just model year. This means it does potentially include 2004 model years if they were built in 2003. It further reinforces the need for people to check their refer model and serial number to see if their unit is included.
It's a shame Newmar's notice has lead some people to believe that if they have a 2004 coach they are automatically not included. NOT TRUE

Jack

Old 03-25-2007, 05:12 AM   #8

I would just like to have some good old customer service.

If you compare the Newmar recall to the Dometic recall info on the yahoo website. Newmar references (please see 06E076) is the same listed on the Dometic paperwork.

I understand that the Dometic Customer letter stated that they would be contacting the manufacture (Newmar) and you could possibly get two letters but it would be the same recall.

Newmar should have a list of Dometic Frigs that was installed in their MHs. And since the recall said model/Build then it should whichever comes last to ensure that everyone is notified.

Since Newmar's recall said to call them then Newmar should know about the recall.

The main thing is to have a knowledgable manufacture and good customer service for any type problem.

Workingnoway
and Loving it
Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 AM   #9

If you've got a refrigerator that was built by Dometic in 2003 and has one of the listed serial numbers, you are part of the recall. It's a bad mistake to take Newmar's word that you're not when the manufacturer of the item involved says that you are. I agree Newmar SHOULD let each of us know about the recall, but I doubt that's going to happen very quickly. As an example, Dometic filed the formal recall last November and Newmar filed their notice in February. I've also found their records of the individual components in my motorhome are incorrect. Don't wait to hear from Newmar, because you may be waiting a long time. As far as Model / Build date, it's the build date that is important in yours and my case. My rig was built in July 2003, but is a 2004. In an ideal world the rv industry would function the way you would like it to, but the absolute fact is that it doesn't. I've seen it over and over again that the rv manufacturer does not accept responsibility for the components in the rig. Newmar is one of the better ones, but even they aren't perfect. It's nothing at all like the auto industry. On some issues, I'd be willing to take the stubborn road and wait to hear from the rv manufacturer and blame them when I didn't or when I had a problem. In this case, it's involving a potential loss of property and life. Particularly when I know for sure that my refer is part of the recall, I'm going to get it fixed as Dometic described. I would sincerely hope you would do the same. If you still don't believe you're part of the recall you really need to point out to Newmar when your rig was built, when your refer was built and what your REFER SERIAL NUMBER is and IGNORE what model year your motorhome is and the motorhome seril number. If they still tell you you're not part of the recall I'd tell them to get their head out of the sand and still get it fixed by Dometic. It would really be reckless to wait.

Good Luck

Jack

Old 03-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In total agreement the longer you wait to get the recall done the more messed up it will get for you. Its a pain in the butt but if your serial# is listed get it done do not wait for dealers or MFG's you have the info than use it pronto.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #11

I have a simple question about Dometic Recall. I have fridge which qualifies under the re-call information. It is in a 1998 DutchStar Motorhome.
Do I still have to contact Dometic to get this thing fixed or are the Propane dealers in the know about this thing and will they install the fix if I go to them and request the upgrades.
All the dealer needs to do is inform Dometic that they repaired a fridge which qualified under the re- recall specs and collect the money from Dometic.I know I can sent Dometic an e-mail to tell them about my fridge but I can not see what good this will do.
I am the second owner of this RV and I doubt that Dometic has my address even though I bought from a reputable dealer. So do I wait untill my rig goes up in smoke or do I send Dometic a message that says my rig will go up in smoke or the simple thing just let me get it fixed at the nearest propane dealer and be done with it.
Whats the deal, doI have to hang around the phone or will they acsept a dealers word that this unit neede to be fixed
Old 03-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #12

Gerdathome

I would suggest you contact Dometic directly and follow their advice on how to proceed. As far as I know, everything is being handled by them. If you go to a dealer directly, all they are going to do is contact Dometic to get you on the waiting list. Dometic will take your name and address, refer model and serial #s and then line you up with a dealer to do the repair. They will send you a letter authorizing the repair which you take to the dealer who will then order the repair kit. This is the way it's worked for me so far.

The number to call at Dometic is: 888-446-5157. This number is set up specifically for the recall. If it won't work from Canada, try their web site: www.dometicusa.com/recall.php

Jack

Old 03-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #13

Thank you, Jack Foster.
I think I will try the web site and enter my No.s in there. I have heard that is almost impossible to get someone on the phone because it is always busy
Gerry
Old 03-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
don't know where you got the phone info but my wife got right through about a month ago...just wanted to confirm i was one of the lucky non recall units..suggest you call vs e mail or get the info off web site
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote