Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lightbulb Adjusting and Securing Pantry Sliders

This is a two part series. Part 1 - How to adjust your pantry sliders Part 2 - How to secure them. My interest and need to do something with the pantry sliders is that over time the soft locking mechanism in the slider rails essentially became a no lock system. Initially it was fine, now I've been battling the pantry door coming open and all of the sliders coming out. Not a big deal but not ideal either.

Part I - Newmar has an interesting setup that makes adjusting the pantry sliders up/down to your liking very easy. If you look at the sides of your pantry you'll see a wooden strip with holes in it. You can remove a pantry slider by fully extending the slider and then you'll see a plastic lever on each rail. One side you'll push up, the other down, they're opposing. With those tabs pressed you can then pull the drawer out of the rails. Now that that's done you can pull inwards on the rails and they will come out of the holes like pegboard. Move to any location you want. Beware, the rails are just setting in the back bracket, not a big deal but you may experience the entire rail coming off in your hand. Just press it back into the bracket. So with that said it's very easy for you to adjust these to your liking.

Part II - Securing the sliding drawers. I realize in 2020's Newmar is now using a locking mechanism on the pantry door. I'm not sure this is the right answer but it is a better solution than what I have now. I would much prefer just having a latching mechanism like we have on every other drawer and door in the cabinetry of the coach. While under warranty Newmar put a drawer latch on the back of my dish drawer above the sink as that was wanting out of the cabinet on its own. They used the same latch mechanism as on our bedroom drawers, a very secure latch. I have those but decided to first give the softer close latches like on cabinet doors, the wedge that spreads two rollers.

This ended up being a much easier implementation than I thought I would face. I thought I would have to put a wood panel on the back wall of the pantry to mount the latch on but Newmar's sliding drawers are a unique self contained system that completely comes out including the wood backer panel. A quite flimsy system when removed but secure when installed. What Newmar should do is what I did, install a locking latch on the back of the back wooden panel that the sliding drawer latches to. As my hobby is 3D printing I printed the ABS plastic brackets for things to screw into but you can just use about a 1 inch thick piece of wood. Very very simple system. If these latches don't work I'll use the black plastic drawer latches which are a much firmer open/close latching system. So far the drawers feel good, they are secure when closed.

Pictures attached show the pantry sliding rail system and the latch I added to the back of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0628.png
Views:	71
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	259912   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.png
Views:	71
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	259913  

Name:	IMG_0630.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	259914  
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2019, 01:54 AM   #2

When I started reading this, that’s almost exactly what I was going to suggest. Great minds...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Very nice and simple fix. Thanks for the pictures makes it much easier to understand
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Today’s drive verified the latches. If I didn’t have them the pantry door would have again opened and the drawers extended. Not one drawer budged. Friggin roads near Jackson MS. I may have been on a formula 1 track. Have to check!! So many winding turns.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Nice work, Neal!

I'm wondering if Newmar changed their slider mechanism after 2017. With our 2018, what you call a "soft locking mechanism" has a really firm feel when you push the pantry drawer/slider all the way in. Over the past year plus, it has not seemed to have changed.

I'll file away your solution in case we start seeing a loosening of the slider locks.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Today my DW said "get on your forum and find out how to fix those pantry drawers from sliding out when we travel."

Neil for the 2nd time today you have a great solution to a common problem. I am going to Home Depot and get six of those door latches and install them as you have. That is a perfect solution to an annoying problem.

Thanks again
Steve
Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Nice work, Neal!

I'm wondering if Newmar changed their slider mechanism after 2017. With our 2018, what you call a "soft locking mechanism" has a really firm feel when you push the pantry drawer/slider all the way in. Over the past year plus, it has not seemed to have changed.

I'll file away your solution in case we start seeing a loosening of the slider locks.

TJ

Have to agree, two years on the road and never the cabinet door opening. I checked them tonight and there is a definite detent or locking feel when you push the drawer in. Must have changed in 18.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
My 18 no opening pantry
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #9

On my 18 I have drawers of varying “tightness” when fully closed. I love Neal’s solution and will also be doing this on my drawer above the sink that is constantly letting go.
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
For anyone considering adding the 2020 latch fix, the only complication is that on units without (prior to 2020) Newmar installs a 3/4 x 3/4 strip on the the backside, top of the cabinet, the 2020’s have two pieces with a gap in the middle to accommodate the new latch
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0858.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	260106  
Old 09-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
For anyone considering adding the 2020 latch fix, the only complication is that on units without (prior to 2020) Newmar installs a 3/4 x 3/4 strip on the the backside, top of the cabinet, the 2020’s have two pieces with a gap in the middle to accommodate the new latch

The other issue that I saw was the catch is made of plastic. So if it is secured close and you pull on it it may break the small tab. I saw this at one of the dealers. They hoped NEWMAR May try to source a metal version for the tab.

I had service install a latch as has been mentioned on the door itself, midway up the door.
Old 09-12-2019, 12:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
The other issue that I saw was the catch is made of plastic. So if it is secured close and you pull on it it may break the small tab. I saw this at one of the dealers. They hoped NEWMAR May try to source a metal version for the tab.

I had service install a latch as has been mentioned on the door itself, midway up the door.

I have also seen this, the door has quite a bit of leverage on that plastic piece
Old 09-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Neal that’s a great fix this problem has came to life this summer here is what I came up with for a on the road fix the first picture is the adjustable door jam bar the second picture is a crown royal bag over the fork end to protect the cabinet and the last picture is the bar installed with one end against the bed and the fork end in the cabinet handle
JP

Name:	IMG_2835.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	487.9 KB
ID:	260307

Name:	IMG_2836.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	260308

Name:	IMG_2837.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	260309
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Lot's of winding crazy roads into Angel Fire RV Resort, NM - fix is certified good! I've had zero pantry drawer issues since adding these catches.

Tags
slide