Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 07:31 AM   #1

Advantium Upgrade...

There are a couple of us on this site that are in the process of ordering new Dutch Stars. Mine actually goes into production next week so I have to decide quickly. Wondering if anybody out there can help us with this decision regarding the microwave upgrade.

We know that there were a lot of issues and problems with the Frigidaire brand. If Newmar was still using the Frigidaire, we would not be having this discussion. We would pay for the upgrade to the GE Advantium. But as we all know, they have switched to the Whirlpool Gold for 2015.

So here is the question. Is there anybody out there that used to have a Frigidaire brand microwave that has a new coach with the Whirlpool Gold? If so, are you much happier with the Whirpool unit?

Also, what is the approx cost of upgrading to a Advantium on a Specials sheet? Is the Advantium unit larger or is Newmar able to install either brand in the same size cabinet cutout? I ask this because it may be already too late for me to request this change. But if i get enough feedback that I need to still look at the Advantium, I certainly can ask Michele the question about upgrading.

There is no need to list the advantages of the Advantium again. I have read many threads that have stated that. Its obvious that it is a great option. But in the past I feel as though it was a necessity due to the drawbacks of the Frigidaire. I am just wondering if its as necessary now with the change in brands.

Thanks in advance. Adil.
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #2

Great question and I too would like to hear feedback. My advantium has given me issues blowing the thermo fuse, at least 4 times.
Hopefull someone will chime in with a comparison.

Peter
Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Adil,

We have the Whirlpool Gold in our current coach. It has been a fine oven from a microwave perspective. As for the convection features, that works well also, but does take a very long time to preheat and as such heats up the entire coach. In Texas, that's an issue in the summer! We went with the Advantium in our 4312 due to the positive reviews - both here and elsewhere on the web, and the fact that it requires no preheating to use as a regular oven. Also, we were told, and I think others have reported, that is is not feasible to do after the fact as the sizing is different and the cabinets need to be redone. We don't get our Dutch Star for a couple more weeks, but are really looking forward to it.
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #4

The Advantium appears to be smaller than the WP model.

D. H. W

WP is 16; 17 1/4; 29 15/16

Adv. is 15 1/2; 16 1/4; 29 7/8

Based on this the Advantium should be an easy replacement for the WP.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
CaputTech,
Could you tell us the approximate the cost of the upgrade?

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:35 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had several specials on my coach and they do not break them out individually. My dealer said around $700. They do adjust the cabinet sizing somewhat, so that may account for most of the cost.
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you. Your coach looks beautiful.
Congratulations.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
Old 08-28-2014, 04:25 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Great question. Sorry I cannot help with the answer. We just finalized our order for a 2015 Dutchstar and we did go with the Advantium as a special based on the reviews from people on this site. Would not have done it if we had more time for positive feedback on the Whirlpool unit.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
JJr4
We have a 2015 Dutch Star 4369 on order too. Our order date is 8/8, with the Production Order report signed and returned to Newmar on 8/18. We do not have the production schedule yet. Did you get an approximate delivery time yet?
We choose the Advantium also, because we had real good luck with it in our 2008 Dutch Star and my wife really likes it. It seems to me that it's price went up significantly since 2008.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Andyh,
No firm dates yet. I sent you a pm with the details so I do not hijack the thread.
Jeff
Old 08-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't say enough about the Advantium. It is larger than the standard unit and the cabinetry is built out slightly to accommodate the larger size. It is absolutely worth the $600-700 to get it.

The new luxury coaches from Newmar show an Advantium with slightly different design than ours -- I assume that would be true on '15 Dutch Star too. Might want to ask Michelle about this to be sure but, again, the Advantium is something I would not want to be without.

Given all the chatter about it on this Forum, we ordered it as the last change we made on our build and the change was made literally a day or two before our coach went into production. My wife and I thank our lucky stars all the time that we were able to get the change made in time. The Advantium has proven its worth to us time and time again.

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We also upgraded to the Advantium and I can say without a doubt this is the single best appliance we have purchased, EVER. If you Google the GE Advantium you will see nothing but excellent reviews on this appliance.

We just love the way it cooks and my dear wife thinks this oven is better than many conventional gas or electric ovens. Actually on the microwave side we have never used that portion. We are just not fans of the nuke process but hey, other folks have said the microwave function is excellent as well.

When we ordered our coach we did not do so with the Advantium. We did however do factory pickup and on day two we upgraded to the GE Advantium. Since we only tested by turning on the one that came with the coach Newmar was really good about the price to upgrade. If I were ordering again, I would take Deek's advice and change the order now. It will be one less thing for you to deal with. Put simply, it just works and really well.

Best of luck
KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade