RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #1

Advice choosing between a CS 3424 and CS 3810

Hi all, new here, and new to the Class A life. My wife and I decided we want to trade in our little pull-behind and get a class a, and we found 2 Newmars at a local dealer we really like. Since we like this dealer so much, and they are local, we really want to stick to one of these two units. Of course the longer we wait they may get a different Newmar.

2014 Canyon Star 3424 vs 2013 Canyon Star 3810

I like the shorter/smaller 3424, but worry about the weight limit (it's on the 22k chassis). The 3810 is on the 26k chassis.

Pretty similar other than that. The 3810 has a residential fridge and bunks. We don't have kids and have never had any guests in our current trailer so the bunks aren't really needed.

As I've never driven a class a before I really like the shorter one, but that could be a stupid point once I get used to it. I will be towing a MINI Cooper sometimes.

Thanks for any tips/advice. I'm sure these questions get posted a lot, I'm just excited for my new toy, sorry if this is annoying. Hope to really join the Newmar Owners soon!

toddkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi toddkc,
All things being equal, bigger is better. You will find something to do with the bunk area. Some turn it into an office area. Some an exercise area.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
KJR

What floorplan do you like the most.

Do all the major areas of the floorplan work for you; bedroom, kitchen, living area and bath.

Enough storage for clothes, dishes, pots and pans, small appliances.

Check the carrying capacity labels. The 22k and 26k chassis will allow only a 4000lb toad before the extra weight must be subtracted from the carrying capacity.

If you desire to camp inside national parks then a shorter coach is more desirable.

Test drive throughly and get the coach inspected before purchasing.

Good luck.

KJR
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

@GaryKD, I agree. The bunks aren't a positive or a negative. I know I can find some use for the space, maybe even just for napping

@KJR all good points. I like the floorplan of the 3424 better, simply because it's smaller. I do want to go to national parks (but plenty of other places too, and boondockin). However, I worry about that 2700lb cargo weight vs the 5100 of the 3810, especially if I have it full of water for dry camping. My TOAD is 2500lb so not an issue there. Whichever we pick will of course be driven and inspected.

Thanks for the helpful responses, and as this is my first class a any more tips/advice is welcome.
toddkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #5

We have the CS 3610 on a 26K Chassis and it drives great. You will get used to the length of the 3810( you are only talking about 4 feet difference), but can never make the 3424 any bigger or create anymore extra CCC. I think the bigger chassis size is a better ride. Ours has 5200 lbs of CCC, and there is no way even my wife can put enough stuff in the MH for me to worry about weight. I generally drive with a full water tank, and somewhat full gas/propane tanks, especially when dry camping.

As for towing anything, the max on most gas MH's is 5000 lbs. On the 3810 even if you used 1000lbs less CCC to accommodate for a 5000 lbs toad( should you chose a different toad someday) you will still have 1400 lbs more CCC than the 3424.

We have the Norcold fridge and ours works great, but there is some advantage to the residential fridge in the 3810 as long as the MH has the electrical equipment to run the fridge while dry camping. Ours has a bath and a half which is really nice to have, not sure if either one of those models does. The bottom line is chose whichever floorplan you like the best, you will get used to the size either way. Both are great MH's, and Newmar is a quality MH.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice