Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #1

After almost 3 years why hasn't NEWGLE been the answer

We had a in service training at the service center last week when having work on our coach. Shared with Christy the manager who did the training why more Newmar owners aren't using NEWGLE. I am going to keep trying to use it more but still hasn't won me over. She really wants suggestions on what could make this factory approved information more user friendly. Would suggest this could be a valuable asset if we had some suggestions to make it better.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Having information more specific and not so generic would be a good start.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I've requested an account (sign up) twice and no response. I gave up.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:26 PM   #4

I just tried to look up our air conditioners a couple of days ago. Frustrated would be putting it mildly. I ended up giving up and using our model #'s and went to the Dometic site to try and get some answers that I needed. I thought when they remodeled the site some time ago it was supposed to be user specific. If it were at least model and year specific that would help. It would be amazing if they would ever make it serial # specific. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate what Newmar does for me when I call and request help but I am not opposed to doing some of the legwork myself.
oregonhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:49 PM   #5
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Tom; if you are talking about the Newgle training session conducted in the Service Center, I attended it in Nappanee last month. The consensus of those in attendance was that Newgle needs to be coach-specific. Newmar has its data set up by coach number and could set up Newgle to utilize it so that it would find the specifics for a particular coach.

Newmar has developed Newgle in-house and lacks the IT skills to turn it into a useful product. Until they gain more IT expertise...or, hire some IT folks with experience in developing this type of application...Newgle will continue to be a collection of general information. As such, it will also continue to be not very useful.

All of this was conveyed to Christy (Kristi?) during the training I attended.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:44 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Maybe they should quit using the Amish IT team!
Old 07-24-2019, 10:58 PM   #7
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Don...I'm sure you meant that as a joke, based on the fact that the Amish don't use computers in their homes, but I think it does a disservice to them.

Every one of the Amish workers I met at Nappanee was a skilled craftsman and dedicated worker. I'm sure that if they were to take on an IT task, they would do it very well.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 AM   #8

With all due respect, this is not a job to consult with end users on. This requires expertise that’s found at peer companies, software professionals, and professional technical writers. Not DIY for Newmar and coach owners. That seems to be the problem with the current situation.

This is not new ground, plenty of companies have documentation controls in place. This is a case for identifying who’s best in class (or what service level will meet the need) and writing a (big) check.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:10 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
They could take a lesson from Winnebago. Not perfect, but much information is there to sift through. I can put in my serial number, and get a build sheet, see 3D drawings in 3D!, download prints, etc. The 3D software take a little expertise to get working, but it is great for finding where they hid various items. For example our converter is located under the vanity in the bathroom.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Escape PHEV and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:06 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Useless, I tried many times.

Why do people make excuses for these trillion dollar companies, I will never know.

Example : steps didn't deploy, lippert website had it all, stood by their product sent me replacements for the motor and controller.

It was easy peasey.

These companies don't care, why should they, we still buy what they make.

Oh I have to rebuild the pantry, I have the bottom shelf temporary fixed just fell down. That royally pissed me off seeing how shoddy it was put together.

" Skilled craftsman " Now that's funny ... when I get home before I rebuild the pantry I will take pictures while I am laying on the floor upside down to see under the bottom shelf, then I took a look under every shelf, they all need beefing up rebuilt, one brad staple holdin up a corner nothing in the middle.
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
With all due respect, this is not a job to consult with end users on. This requires expertise that’s found at peer companies, software professionals, and professional technical writers. Not DIY for Newmar and coach owners. That seems to be the problem with the current situation.

This is not new ground, plenty of companies have documentation controls in place. This is a case for identifying who’s best in class (or what service level will meet the need) and writing a (big) check.
I could not disagree more. Yes the implementation of the software takes skills that the end user (us) don’t usually have and you should use experienced IT staff. But most systems fail because the developers failed to understand the people who were going to use it. What seems obvious to a techie may be totally confusing to the older people who are supposed to use it. I’ve watched people use smart phones, cable boxes, remote controls, in car gps system and just get frustrated to no end. There is a big difference in “what the user wants to ability to do” versus “what do we think they need” or worse “what to we want to let them do”.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I could not disagree more. Yes the implementation of the software takes skills that the end user (us) don’t usually have and you should use experienced IT staff. But most systems fail because the developers failed to understand the people who were going to use it. What seems obvious to a techie may be totally confusing to the older people who are supposed to use it. I’ve watched people use smart phones, cable boxes, remote controls, in car gps system and just get frustrated to no end. There is a big difference in “what the user wants to ability to do” versus “what do we think they need” or worse “what to we want to let them do”.
That’s where end user testing comes in. It’s a part of the process. But you seem to be suggesting a bunch of mostly retirees with no experience can design a complex document control application. Can you give some examples of successful implementation using that method?

Cummins and Freightliner are two close to home examples for Newmar. How were their systems done? Did anyone here participate in that?
Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #13

What is the system suppose to do? What are the specifications for it. Last time I tried to use it . . . well, it was like using DOS. No one today outside of a programmer is going to be able to make heads or tails out of that system.

1) Define what it is suppose to do (or as others have suggested, what the CUSTOMERS need it to do).

2) Get the solution organized and architecture - don't just sit people down and have them start to code it. You should design in growth and new features.

3) Get some experiences software people to code up the solution, and yes, I agree with Don . . . not the Amish. And yes Jim, that was a joke . . . kind of. While they may be good at non-techie things . . . I wouldn't hire them to code the program for landing the lunar module. This isn't a cost thing so much as getting it right.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Yes.....this was a joke....I guess I should have put a happy face after it.

The Amish are great and we watched them all hustling and working hard.