RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #1

Aftermarket 360 Birdseye options

I was reading StuartWís thread on the 360 camera system and regret I was not aware I could have added to our Dutch Star order last year. Not the end of the world, but after driving 10K miles, I can see how this would be very helpful, particularly in tight spaces, backing in, etc.

Has anyone added an aftermarket system? We have the Xcite radio, so there is potential to tie it into that.

LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Following, Iím also curious if this has been done.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

Also curious as I could still nix the option on my build. Lots of folks unhappy with the XITE Radio option which is required if you get the OmniView 360. If there were an aftermarket option with 360 camera options that would also give me those nice big 10" screens that come on the Essex+ lines, I'd be all about it. +10 if it gives me CarPlay/Android Auto as well.

Saw redbaron's post customizing his screens. Pretty awesome, but I ain't opening up the dash and splicing wires and replacing screens...
Old 01-22-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

Not the end of the world, especially when it comes the system on the Dutch Star.

I donít want to start an argument, here, but Iím going to state my opinion; from a TECHNICAL vs. VALUE standpoint.

THIS IS NOT AN INSULT TO THOSE WHO HAVE PURCHASED THE SYSTEM! If you are happy with it, great!

The 360ļ camera system on the DS is flat out horrible for the money for the following reasons:

1. The cameras are not high resolution.
2. The monitor is too small and lacks clarity.
3. No DVR
4. No triggering alarm zones (ie. lane, sides, backup)
5. AND IT REQUIRES YOU TO HAVE THE XITE RADIO...and donít get us started on THIS issue...itís being well covered on another long thread of those who are sick of that piece of junk.

Again, these are my opinions based on comparing OTHER systems Iíve used, and seen on other coaches such as the Allegro Bus.

Ok, shoot...sorry...that was a complete veer off the road of your question; I just wanted you to feel better, because Iím in the same boat!

Mike, at Lindstrom RV, and I have discussed this topic and he shares the same feelings about the cameras as I do. Heís an extremely competent mechanic/tech and said, without question, that a much better set of cameras could be installed. If anyone knows how to wire aftermarket items on the DS, itís Mike!

Couple his knowledge with the power of guys like the RedBaron, whoís even installed a ROOF CAM, and Iím confident a killer 360 system can be installed.

The downside is, I know it will be costly; given the extra difficulty of installation of the cameras. Mainly, the issue is that the cameras must be placed on the sidewalks UNDER any obstruction such as the awnings or spoiler. This necessitates running wires into the wall, not just across the roof.

Optimally, it would have been nice to have a PRE-WIRE from Newmar. But, I found out that costs over $4,000 and comes with a free XITE radio! LOL

There are a lot of high-end custom installers in this area; given our proximity to Hollywood. So, my thoughts are to contact one of them to see what they can come up with...for a guy whoís not driving a $3M Custom Prevost! Ugh.

Here is an example of a system thatís under $1400 with a 9Ē monitor. Itís VGA, so not the highest rez but is still better than the stock system.

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/360-b...rvs-79130.html

Again, if youíve read this far, please donít jump on me and sidetrack this OPís question with defending the stock 360 on your DS. Itís too late, he and I donít have one. We just want something nicer than the option that was offered.

Respectfully,
Capt. Gizmo
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
I was reading StuartWís thread on the 360 camera system

Really? Where was that? Post that link so we can reference it.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post

4. No triggering alarm zones (ie. lane, sides,
This is not true, my system has left & right turn and backup triggers.

I agree that the screen is small and resolution could be much better.
As far as adding it after the fact, camera wire routing would be the challenge, unless a wireless system is available.
4 cameras, front cap, rear cap, right side wall and FWS on the left.

Absolutely, you can always pay more for better in America

Old 01-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #7

Adjustable Triggering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
This is not true, my system has left & right turn and backup triggers.

Argh..stupid Edit-Lock kicked in already! Even after I proof-read a couple times, I knew someone would find a flaw in the details!

Yes, I’m aware that there are lane-change and backup alarms.

My “triggering” comment was intended as a GROUP. In other words, a “state of the art” system will allow ACTIVE and USER ADJUSTABLE triggering zones; much like a security camera. Let me explain a tad further.

By “active” and “user adjustable”, I am referring to the ability to monitor zones of intrusion (my wording) WHILE DRIVING normally, aka not changing lanes or backing. For example, this is common on virtually every vehicle system, today, whereas a simple YELLOW light/symbol will illuminate in the side-view mirrors when a vehicle is in the adjoining lane. Additionally, the user should be able to set parameters in which those zones will alert the driver.

Say you have a more elaborated system, like what RedBaron has fashioned. Perhaps you want to not just use those cameras while “backing” or “changing lanes”, but instead, would like to use them while PARKED for security or recording purposes.

Sorry to kick up dust on this...I guess my brevity subjected me to further questioning.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just for the record:

DVR and Triggers can be added to the dutchstar version of the omniview 360. I have done both. I have a trigger based on turn signals to bring up the side monitor of the side that has the turn signal going.

The radio can be replaced with any radio that accepts an analog video input.

The way my system works is when I turn on the left turn signal, the mirror camera displays on the OEM screen on the left, and the Omniview camera displays full screen on my 10.1 inch dash radio on the right. The trigger can be overridden by pressing a button on the dash which will allow me to view the normal omniview 360 views, cycling as expected.

The DVR cost me $1200.00 and was a direct plug and play. It uses an SSD hard drive, and outputs its video via analog. I have connected this to the Front Camera video input of my radio. It has 5 trigger inputs. 1 for each camera, and another to mark an event on the recording.

Left and Right will trigger a full screen view of that camera, but then choosing my override switch on the dash (simulates going into reverse), I then switch to the omniview 360 output, which is the standard display on the xite. The toggles will work.

Before placing my order I researched the options for an aftermarket, and did not find anything that would be as clean as this. Newmar refused to run cat 6 cables to the camera locations, either as a standalone special or as an additional run with the Omniview setup.

The cables that are there are good to replace with HD resolution cameras, but I have decided not to do this.

You could come up with roof based cameras, and mount them on the corners for a true top-down view, and that would be easy to do after market.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I did look for a lane warning system, and determined that the cameras would need to incorporate the technology. I have not found a good method to include this technology, so I settled for defaulting camera's to 2 views.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #10

RedBaron,

Yes, ďturn signalĒ triggering to activate a camera view of the side of your coach is possible but not what Iím talking about.

Iím talking about a passive alarm or light that simply signals you when something is in your side ďzoneĒ that youíve set up. IOW, if I want to simply create a BLIND-SPOT zone, to alert me when something is in that zone.

I think maybe we are over-thinking wires...so letís hold out for HD Wireless Cameras!! You know, the kind that will be solar or lifetime lithium powered! ;-)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
With digital cameras you can create alert zones, but teaching them the difference between road stripes and cars is tricky. I gave up on that...too much effort for fun.

Old 01-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
On mine I felt that having the 360 camera switch to the turn view was a waste sitting side by side with the voyager camera that was showing the turn camera view so I disconnected the trigger wires. I prefer having a view of my TOAD and the turn at the same time. I will say that the 360 Birdseye view is very handy turning into tight spots like campsites with tables and hedges. The New Aire, London Aire, Essex, and King Aire have a high definition 360 camera system that puts the OmniView system to shame. Thatís the one to have in my opinion

Old 01-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
On mine I felt that having the 360 camera switch to the turn view was a waste sitting side by side with the voyager camera that was showing the turn camera view so I disconnected the trigger wires. I prefer having a view of my TOAD and the turn at the same time. I will say that the 360 Birdseye view is very handy turning into tight spots like campsites with tables and hedges. The New Aire, London Aire, Essex, and King Aire have a high definition 360 camera system that puts the OmniView system to shame. Thatís the one to have in my opinion
What I have noticed is that there is a blind spot on the passenger side. It extends from the front of the coach to about 2 ft behind the mirror. Not a large spot, but big enough that a motorcycle or small car can hide there.

The 360 birds eye view is distorted on this particular area, but when select just the side camera with no other digital enhancement, you can clearly see this blind spot. The only way to do this is either tap the camera, or install the NVR and take the feed from the NVR for this image. That is the route I went.

I don't need it for the drivers side, but for now it is connected. Once I do my first real journey, I will know more about what I want or don't want.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainGizmo View Post
Really? Where was that? Post that link so we can reference it.
Heís actually got a couple of them. Hereís the one I was reading, but it was too old to send a response:

Xite radio with 360 cameras installed

It would be very interesting to know what Willipaul ended up doing.

At this point, Iím wondering if there might be a lower tech/cost option for me; for example, something that gives you right front dead spot visibility when backing into a campsite, etc.

LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote