Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #1

AGM Batteries

Anyone would share an estimate of cost to replace 8 old batteries with sealed AGM batteries?

SOLD 2013 Newmar Ventana 4346
msy4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msy4us View Post
Anyone would share an estimate of cost to replace 8 old batteries with sealed AGM batteries?

decent sized ones about -$2600.00 +++

personally(my opinion) unless you boondock a lot with this unit their a waste of money
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
decent sized ones about -$2600.00 +++

personally(my opinion) unless you boondock a lot with this unit their a waste of money
Your price is about right for eight Lifeline 6V AGM batteries.

But a "waste of money" . . . I don't think so. They're one of the most dependable AGMs available. However, if you like watering batteries and planning for your next equalization, get a set of flooded Trojan AGMs.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
6volt Deka AGM's run around 210.00 I recently bought
4 Lifeline 6 volt AGM's for 280.00 each. The Deka batteries
are thought to have a 6-8 year life. Lifelines are thought to
have a 10 year life. But, a lot depends on your usage.
The AGM's are worth the extra money for a lot of reasons,
and zero maintenance and zero corrosion in the compartment
are a tremendous advantage. Absolutely not a waste of money.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Your price is about right for eight Lifeline 6V AGM batteries.

But a "waste of money" . . . I don't think so. They're one of the most dependable AGMs available. However, if you like watering batteries and planning for your next equalization, get a set of flooded Trojan AGMs.
read my reply I said ""IF U don't Boondock" ;; my US2200 series batterys are 6 years old and I add water maybe at most two times a year
I don't remember ever equalizing them and last trip when staying overnite and using fridge and heat etc batterys stood up very well
I know AGM are better just no point to them when in situations like me
also I have Zero corrosion
Old 12-12-2016, 01:25 PM   #6

Sams has theirs at $25 off making the price $154 each for the six volts.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
Sams has theirs at $25 off making the price $154 each for the six volts.

way too small only 190AH US battery flooded are like 240AH

price out a decent sized AGM and there like 300$ each
Old 12-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The old AGM vs wet battery discussion. Take away the price Delta and AGM are better overall. Add in the price Delta and one has to decide if it's worth it to them. IMHO.

If one does not dry camp much or the reduced capacity is not a big deal, the Sam's battery can be a way to go.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #9

Whatever you decide, make sure your charger is compatible!!!
GScherrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by GScherrer View Post
Whatever you decide, make sure your charger is compatible!!!
His having a 2013 Newmar I suspect the inverter/charger is compatible and programable to either AGM1 (Lifeline) or AGM2 (all others AGMs).

This is a decision based as much on intrinsic value vs dollar comparisons.

IMHO, I'm all in for AGMs regardless of whether you boondock or not. I like that fact that you don't have to do much at all with them. No messing with water is a very nice advantage. Perhaps one other issue I found important was the fact that I can look at just about any battery bay and tell you if they have water batteries without even seeing the batteries. I've seen some significant corrosion from outgassing in too many of them.

One other advantage of AGMs is their ability to take a higher charge level. That can be an advantage in some situations like boon docking with a significant solar panel set up.

Like I said, it really has as much to do with what you want from your system vs just wanting something to do the job. Of course, your budget might be the final arbiter of what you do.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
His having a 2013 Newmar I suspect the inverter/charger is compatible and programable to either AGM1 (Lifeline) or AGM2 (all others AGMs).

This is a decision based as much on intrinsic value vs dollar comparisons.

IMHO, I'm all in for AGMs regardless of whether you boondock or not. I like that fact that you don't have to do much at all with them. No messing with water is a very nice advantage. Perhaps one other issue I found important was the fact that I can look at just about any battery bay and tell you if they have water batteries without even seeing the batteries. I've seen some significant corrosion from outgassing in too many of them.

One other advantage of AGMs is their ability to take a higher charge level. That can be an advantage in some situations like boon docking with a significant solar panel set up.

Like I said, it really has as much to do with what you want from your system vs just wanting something to do the job. Of course, your budget might be the final arbiter of what you do.
Agree completely. No water, no corrosion and forget them. I run 8-100 amp 12v AGM's. They're 3 years old and still running 14 to 15 volts. When the time comes to change I may try the Duracell brand at Sam's. At $150 each the added cost is worth the reduced maintenance and clean battery bay.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #12

I've had Lifeline AGM's in my last 3 coaches & would not have anything else PERIOD! No outgassing, no compartment corrosion, no checking the water levels, no maintenance, 1.5X the duty cycles (full charge down to 50% charge), longer life & higher charge capacity than regular lead acid type batteries. I just recently replaced the Newmar OEM Discover AGM's that came with the coach when I ordered it- those were a REAL PIECE OF JUNK from CHINA- only lasted 22 months in service. I went with 8- Lifeline GPL-6CT (6V) AGM's & they are great- each one has 300 amp hr. which gives me 1200 amp hr. @ 12 V. otal cost was $3,100 for the 8. I can go many many Hrs without having to start the generator when tailgating or boon- docking.
Trust me- 46 years of RVing experience- Once you have them, you'll never go back to the regular cheapos again!
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:43 AM   #13

I WENT BACK

We full time and the cost to me is way to high to stay with agm batteries . My AGMs went bad after three years. Cost to replace was twice what it cost my to put in Trojan T125s and a watering system. Adding water takes all of five minutes. Stopping corrosion is not that tuff. Just pay attention and treat the terminal tops.
To each his own but to me I will take the lower cost option that also gives me 25% more amps.

Good luck with whatever you do. Both options work well.
Trapper2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
I've had Lifeline AGM's in my last 3 coaches & would not have anything else PERIOD! No outgassing, no compartment corrosion, no checking the water levels, no maintenance, 1.5X the duty cycles (full charge down to 50% charge), longer life & higher charge capacity than regular lead acid type batteries. I just recently replaced the Newmar OEM Discover AGM's that came with the coach when I ordered it- those were a REAL PIECE OF JUNK from CHINA- only lasted 22 months in service. I went with 8- Lifeline GPL-6CT (6V) AGM's & they are great- each one has 300 amp hr. which gives me 1200 amp hr. @ 12 V. otal cost was $3,100 for the 8. I can go many many Hrs without having to start the generator when tailgating or boon- docking.
Trust me- 46 years of RVing experience- Once you have them, you'll never go back to the regular cheapos again!
Where is the best place to purchase lifeline AGM batteries?

Tags
batteries