Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #1

AGM Batteries, B.I.R.D and Relay

I recently installed four (4) Life Line AGM's as replacement for the original lead/acid coach batteries. When I oiginally thought to make this change, I was told by one of the Newmar Techs that I had to install another relay for the B.I.R.D to work properly (i.e charge chassis batteries from shore power, and house batteries from alternator). I was given the part number and purchased the relay and a fused link. I was also given a hand-drawn diagram on how to wire it, and told it was pretty simple.

This weekend I changed out the batteries, and I set the preference (on the EPlex panel) to AGM - Note: I don't have AGM-2 as part of the set-up in my preferences. I then went to install the relay, and much to my amazement, I have no idea how, or where, to wire the relay.

I called Newmar for help, but as yet they haven't gotten back to me.

Has anyone done this same installation? Anyone know how to wire the relay? A picture would be great.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2011, 02:27 PM   #2

Don't understand why an additional relay is required as the Lifline AGM batteries use the SAME setting on the charger as Lead Acid(per the owner of Lifeline). We also changed out to four Lifeline AGMs this winter but have not gotten on the road to check out their "boondocking or dry camping" capability.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav5942 View Post
Don't understand why an additional relay is required as the Lifline AGM batteries use the SAME setting on the charger as Lead Acid(per the owner of Lifeline). We also changed out to four Lifeline AGMs this winter but have not gotten on the road to check out their "boondocking or dry camping" capability.

Dave,

I don't really have a good answer, other than that's what Newmar said: "Change preference to AGM (from lead/acid) and install the relay." Did you keep your preference as lead/acid?

With the coach sitting in the drive way, all seems fine without the relay. I think it has to do with the charging profile (AGM vs. lead/acid), and when the B.I.R.D is activated. But, I don't really know for sure.

Sebastian
Old 04-25-2011, 05:50 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is sometihng ike 0.1 volt difference in teh charge profiles on my Xantres for Generic Lead Acid and Generic AGM.. And an even greater difference between "Generic" and selected brand names.

For 0.1 volt I don't think you'd need to change the relay
Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I changed-out two lead/acid coach batteries for two AGM's when we bought the coach. When it was done the dealer said nothing else was required and no change to any settings. My reason for the change was that the batteries were not on a pull-out tray and the clearance made it almost impossible to check the water. Now all the batteries are sealed and require no maintenance. They have been doing just fine for the past 16 months. Joe
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi SX_RVing,
I changed my coach batteries to AGMs almost 3 years ago. Did nothing but a thorough battery replacement. Everything works as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a conversation about agm's and the eplex system. The OP don't have the eplex.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/agm-...ion-73738.html

Search the Nemwar forum for other discussions involving the relay and agm setups
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I came across this thread also about Newmar not wiring BIRD correctly.
There are two different BIRD's one for gas and one for a DP.
Links are in Quick Tips.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";840297]I came across [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/coach-battery-charging-80887-2.html#post795988
this thread[/URL][/B] also about Newmar not wiring BIRD correctly.
There are two different BIRD's one for gas and one for a DP.
Links are in Quick Tips.
Outdated links.

There are 4 different BIRDS (Intelitec part numbers in BOLD):
00-00362-100 (The "original"???) http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTE...300362.000.pdf
00-00366-000 Diesel 1 http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTE...300366.000.pdf
00-00839-100 Diesel 2 http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTE...300839.100.pdf
00-00956-000 Gas http://www.intellitec.com/pdfs/BATTE...300956.000.pdf
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Like GaryKD I also changed to 4 AGM batteries. Had one of Newmar techs check profile for the charge rate at Rally and he said everything was OK. Have used for Boondocking and have had no trouble.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SX_RVing View Post
Dave,

I don't really have a good answer, other than that's what Newmar said: "Change preference to AGM (from lead/acid) and install the relay." Did you keep your preference as lead/acid?

Sebastian
Yes and am pretty sure the existing bird relay is working properly. Ours is located next to the transfer relay in the power cable compartment.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
TechWriter thanks for the links with updates.
I was going to correct some of my links but after looking at them have found it may confuse threads because we must have older MH's with one type both DP & Gas.
I have seen most of yours in owners MH's yours are more detailed but this last one for GAS 00-00956-000 is new to me.
Maybe in the newer gas coach's.
I like to post threads with actual members problems when all these links are in the FILE link we irv2 have we loose how the problem might have been solved.
I will post your post in Quick Tips in the BIRD group of threads.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #13

Thanks to all for your responses.

After following some of the recommended threads and reading the B.I.R.D manual, here's what I've deduced: The eplex system overrides the built in settings in the magnum charger/converter. With the eplex preference set to AGM, float charge occurs at approximately 13.0 volts. In order for the B.I.R.D to allow the chassis batteries to charge from shore power, the charge voltage has to be above 13.1 for at least 2 and 1/2 minutes. The relay is a way to override the B.I.R.D and allowing charging of the chassis batteries at the lower float voltage. Normally this would not be a problem, unless the coach sits for months at a time. At that point the chassis batteries will likely be dead.

I went out to the coach and re-selected the lead/acid option and the float voltage immediately went up to 13.3 volts, thereby activating the B.I.R.D and initiating charging of the chassis batteries from shore power.

I read the lifeline manual and it states that the recommended bulk charge is at 14.2 to 14.4 volts, and float charge is at 13.2 to 13.4 volts. I don't remember the bulk charging voltage the eplex uses for lead/acid batteries (I think it's 14.4 or 14.5 volts), but certainly, the float voltage is within the range recommended by LifeLine.

As yet, Newmar has not gotten back to me in reference to my query.

So, after some investigation, I've decided to keep my eplex preference set to lead/acid as suggested by Dav5942 and others, unless Newmar makes a different recommendation. Which I doubt that they'll make any recommendation at all. If they do, I'll post it here.

Thanks again to all that responded.

Sebastian
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks to you for bringing up the question have stored in Quick tips.