Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #1

AGM Battery setting on Power mgt system

I am getting ready to replace my National House batteries.. From what I read I am going to put in AGM batteries. my question: On my power Management system I can reset it for various batteries, What is the difference between ( AGM 1) and (AGM 11) VACMAN
VACMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
VACMAN,

Give Chris at Tekris Power a call. 732-938-4996. He set me up with 4 6-volt AGMs and reset the switches on my existing Dimensions inverter based on my new setup. He is a great guy and really knows his stuff.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
VACMAN,

Give Chris at Tekris Power a call. 732-938-4996. He set me up with 4 6-volt AGMs and reset the switches on my existing Dimensions inverter based on my new setup. He is a great guy and really knows his stuff.
Thanks but I don't think Chris would be much help now, because I replaced the batteries today. I removed the 4 6-volt interstates out and replaced them with 3 12-volt PC2150 ODYSSEY's. On my MAGNUM Energy panel it has TYPE OF BATERY.. the ones that were in there were (flooded type). but the ODYSSEYs are AGM.. But my panel has AGM 1,,and AGM 11,, I have went thru my owners manual and I can't see were it tells you how or what the dif in the 2.. VACMAN
Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu have to go to the battery manufacturer's web page and download the charging specs for that battery model.

Then you go to the page in your manual that lists the specs for each AGM setting

And pick the best match

From what I have determined, so long as maintenance, mounting and ventelation are not issues.. There is absolutly NO advantage to AGM's long term

Perhaps a bit faster on recharge if you have the horse power to charge 'em wih

But frankly.. It's money you did not need to spend.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From my Magnum 2000 manual:
The fi xed voltage selections are GEL (for Gel batteries),
Flooded (for liquid lead acid batteries), AGM 1 (for Lifeline AGM batteries),
and AGM 2 (for East Penn/Deka/Discover/Trojan AGM batteries).

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 08:25 AM   #6

Thanks wthomas1,, I think I will use AGM 2, for now then contact MAGNUM mfg. next week,, Thanks VACMAN
Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Happy to help!

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #8

For those who have an ePlex controlling their Magnum inverter, Newmar (Nevin Miller) is actually recommending using the "lead acid" setting on the ePlex in certain (if not all) situations. Apparently, the ePlex is involved in controlling the charge profile and the AGM setting can be (NOT always) just a fractional of a volt below the BIRD relay clamping point. If this is the case, what then happens is that the chassis batteries might become discharged over EXTENDED shore power conditions (the BIRD is not seeing enough voltage to bind the house-chassis batteries in these certain situations). The lead acid ePlex setting has a very similar charge profile to the AGM but uses a tad higher voltage which will ensure the BIRD activates the clamping relay.

Just another FYI and consideration.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
a k

Newmar Owners Club
I wish they would let out the programing feature for the E-Plex. How do you reprogram the inverter if you don't have the remote for it?
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #10

I got a reply from MAGNUM MFG today Here is thier answerer to what the diff is between Agm1 And Agm2 .......Contact battery manufacturer and ask what their suggestion would be, another words do they prefer for absorb charging to be at 14.3 or 14.5......

can .2 really make a dif ? i quess so they are the experts VACMAN