Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #1

Did I hear right that John (Lane) replaced his batteries with AGM's or was that just a rumour? If so why? Why for that matter from anybody that did it. I know they offer advantagous, however I would have a hard time justifing changing them when the rig is just months old.

Peter
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #2

Did I hear right that John (Lane) replaced his batteries with AGM's or was that just a rumour? If so why? Why for that matter from anybody that did it. I know they offer advantagous, however I would have a hard time justifing changing them when the rig is just months old.

Peter
Old 04-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Peter...John was in fact at North Trail dropping the rig off when I was there last week...He mentioned he was having the batts changed to AGM's as well as taking care of a thing or two.
Must've been an easy day as when I got back from the post office after lunch they were gone.

I know you probably already know this but the LADB comes with AGM's....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 AM   #4

How do you like the AGM's Bob? Perhaps John will jump in and give us the scoop. I would like to know what amp hour rating they use. Do you know what Amp rating yours are?

Peter
Old 04-22-2007, 06:00 PM   #5

Peter,

Didn't see your message on AGM's until I posted my prior message on corrosion.

There are 3 types of batteries commonly used. Lead acid, gel cells and AGM's. gell and AGM's solve the outgassing/corrosion problem, gel cells are tempermental. If chraged too rapidly they fail prematurely. AGM's can be charged twice as fast as LA batteries and last 2x the number of charge discharge cycles. When they are charged they don't get hot and they don't outgas.

Only problem is cost. They aren't cheap.

I put AGM's in mine while at the factory. I'm very happy with the bucks spent. How much did you spend for the stainless on the bottom of the coach and what benefit does it buy you?

Dick
Road Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Dick, I think Peter's "months old" comment was meant more towards there being nothing wrong with the batteries that came in the coach...

In that vein alone, replacing the batteries with AGM's would be suspect...

AGM's work wonderfully in the "coach" application but not so good in the chassis application partly because of the lack of CCA's....
Old 04-22-2007, 07:24 PM   #7

To get the 8 house AGMs on a new 2007 Essex was a little over $2,000 and had to be ordered as a special - for 2008 they may only allow the 8 house battery option only on an all electric. I got the 8 batteries on a non-all electric. The chassis (or starting) batteries are still flooded cell. Newmar originally had some reluctance to use AGMs as chassis batteries (probably due to CCAs) but that may have changed.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 AM   #8

Interesting. What make and model AGM did Newmar use?

Peter
Old 04-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Newmar originally had some reluctance to use AGMs as chassis batteries (probably due to CCAs) but that may have changed. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't believe Spartan has changed this....
Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 AM   #10

Hi! John has been on the road for a few days and will probably answer this soon. He changed over so that he could dry camp longer, among other reasons. I am sure he will explain the whole thing soon. Paul
Old 04-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #11

Got home today - safe and sound and without event except for mirror blow-out. Peter, we replaced perfectly good lead acid batteries with AGMs to get more AMP hours. The lead acid produced about 110, the AGMs produce approx 210. We experimented with "dry camping" at RB and could not get more than 7 to 7 1/2 hours running frig, TV for a few hours and minimum lights. The crucial electrical need is for DWs breathing machine. Believe me, when we ran out of juice, she woke up! We looked at a few options including adding 2 more lead acid batteries but decided to go with the AGMs. We get the desired amp hours and the "maintenance free" aspect is very handy. Needless to say, you have to pay to play. NT did cut me a nice break.

Un-numbered Amigo
Lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #12

Peter,

They are Interstate GPL-4CT's. They are the same ones they are now offering as an option on Essex's. I paid the same price as if I had ordered the option orginally from Newmar. If you do a search on the internet, their option price isn't as inflated as many other options.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:41 PM   #13

Bob,

I don't know where the chassis versus coach thing came from but I replaced only the Coach or house or Newmar batteries. I believe I now have what is an option in the Essex and standard on the LA? I have no idea what the cold cranking amps are for the glass mats.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #14

Lifeline Battery Part Number GPL-4CT
Voltage 6V
CCA's 1095 @68deg 925 @32deg 750 @0deg
20hr rated capacity 220amp-hrs
Discharge capacity 492mins@25amp 856mins@15amps 1692mins@8amps

With an 8 battery 12V set up multiply the above by 4. Pretty impressive numbers.