RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #1

AGS setup advice needed and question about AGS firmware version

I read some threads a week or so ago on setting up my AGS, which I'm glad I did, as we are in Branson and the park is experiencing power issues (30 minutes yesterday and about 6 hours on Thursday).

In reading the thread, I read that I might have a firmware/software version that would keep the generator going until the external thermostat sensor was no longer calling, or I might have one where the only option is time (.5 hours, 1 hour, 2 hours, etc.). In my case, I have the time based one.

So, the question is whether that software/firmware in question is in the AGS itself or the ME-RC / ME-ARC? If in the remote, then I was planning to replace with the ME-ARC and the ME-BMK to have the improved battery monitoring and was wondering if that would give me the non time based option for temperature controlled AGS.

Also, for my current one, where I'm just focused on keeping the coach cool for the dogs if power is lost, is there any downside to simply leaving it at .5 hours run time and external temperature input? I'm thinking that will result in the shortest run time if a point is reached where the AC is no longer calling for cooling. Or, is there a reason I should go with a longer time period?

tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You want to change your ags cool point to ext. Input.

Go to ags setup, option 4 and change to ext. Input
Option 3, runtime should be 0.5. This means it will run at least 30 minutes each cycle. It will run as long as ac cooling is called for.

The ARC works based off of the ext trigger for off value, adding cool down.

Do you see a firmware newer than 5.2 for the ags-n?

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
You want to change your ags cool point to ext. Input.

Go to ags setup, option 4 and change to ext. Input
Option 3, runtime should be 0.5. This means it will run at least 30 minutes each cycle. It will run as long as ac cooling is called for.

The ARC works based off of the ext trigger for off value, adding cool down.

Do you see a firmware newer than 5.2 for the ags-n?
That's how I have mine set (ext. input and .5 hour run time), I don't think I worded that very well.

I'm showing an AGS Rev of 6.0 in my ME-RC.

In my runtime hour, I have 30 minute increments from .5 to I believe 25.5.

When I was in the coach on Thursday for the first power outage and believe I had the run time set to an hour then, after an hour, the AC kicked off with an E7 error, but the generator continued to run, and then after a short period of time, the E7 went away and the ACs started to come back online.

What I don't know is if that E7 will happen every time the time expires, or if what actually happened was park power came back on briefly and then went back off.

My goal is to keep the run time as short as possible, but keep the air running non stop when it's needed. Not knowing what caused the E7 makes unclear if that was an isolated thing, or if that will happen every time time expires and the air is still being called for.

Will switching to the ME-ARC give me the control being completely based on the AC calling for cooling and not need to use the .5 hour run time?

Also, while I don't anticipate using this part, the default setting is 11.0V on the battery level based start. Is this the right threshold?
Old 06-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just checked and I too have the rev 6.0.

The arc has the function to turn off as soon as ext input is no longer called for. Here is the excerpt from the manual.

Quote:
• Set Gen Run Temp Start – This menu is used to enable and set the temperature that trig-

gers a generator autostart. If the temperature start feature is not needed, set to the OFF

position.

Default setting: OFF

Range: OFF, Ext Input, 65F - 95F (or 18C - 35C)

◊ Ext Input – This setting is used when an optional pigtail adapter (ME-PT1, or ME-PT2) is

used. When an AGS pigtail adapter is connected to the AGS’s REMOTE port, an external

command—either from a thermostat connection on an air conditioner control circuit or

an external relay control circuit—is recognized and causes the AGS to begin a generator

autostart sequence. Once the external command is no longer recognized, an autostop se-

quence is given and the generator stops after a minimum two-minute delay.

◊ 65F - 95F (18C - 35C) – These settings determine the rising temperature value that trig-

gers a generator temperature autostart.

□ Set Gen Run Temp Time – This menu sets the amount of time the generator runs

after a temperature autostart (when using the remote temp sensor).

Default setting: 2.0 Hrs

Range: 0.5-25.5 Hrs (0.5 hour increments)

Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Regarding the E7, I get this for the time before the warmup period has expired. This is a function of the ccc2 controller where you normally see an hour glass when the compressor is initially called for.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #6

Ok, another question or two.

We just had a momentary park power failure, so my AGS kicked in (as AC was calling cooling) and it fired up. All good.

I go out to the poll and we have power, so I'm pretty sure it was a momentary power failure.

So, I disabled the AGS to shut down the generator, and let the transfer switch go back to shore power, and then after that re-enabled AGS.

Question, if I wasn't there, and it had switched over, would the unit ever have switched back to shore power? As hot as it is, at least one of the ACs run all day, so after the .5 hours, there would still be an AC calling and so I assume, it would simply start another 30 minute timer.

With my home generator and transfer switch, if utility power comes back, it always reverts back to utility power. I take it that's not the case with these RV's. Will this change if I install the ME-ARC?

Is there any change to the remote or AGS module that would result in it always reverty to shore power when it comes back?
Old 07-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I can say this, the Power priority is as follows:
Genset is 1st, no genset, transfer switch looks to Shore Power, if no shore power, it looks to inverter for residential loads, not the a/c loads based on temp. I have the stock unit in ours, and I know some of the parameters are not set the way I think they should be. I believe a gentlemen on here posted a very detailed outline of the Magnum AR-ARC-BMK, etc. I know I downloaded it, maybe it was batteries, anyway. I am going to take the manual, read and highlight the important bits, and then take that over to MH and make changes to settings. Now with that, today I checked batteries (front panel) and both house and chassis are at 12.58VDC and this after three days in storage with everything turned off. The solar panels are keeping them up fairly well under cover even. Now to get the bugs off the front cap, that is the question.
Old Rv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 09:36 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow...that was hard to find.

The only reference I can find isn’t where you would normally look.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...ME-PT2_Web.pdf

Skim that document and you will find it explained. Revision 5.3 and newer. I have Revision 5.4....

I had a debate a long time ago with another member. We were both adamant about our experiences with AGS. Once I found this reference it was clear we BOTH were correct, we just had different revisions.

I found it when I was trying to explain to others that Newmar uses this dongle in lieu of a remote temp probe. It simply networks the Dometic control box to the AGS. I don’t know why they don’t explain it in the AGS manual. They aren’t the best a documentation sometimes.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:47 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Forgot to mention...

The 2 minute cooldown and shutdown worked even before I replaced my ME-RC. I swapped out the ME-RC for a ME-ARC more to take advantage of SOC from the ME-BMK. Of course you will find other very useful improvements as well.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:01 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
Wow...that was hard to find.

The only reference I can find isn’t where you would normally look.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/si...ME-PT2_Web.pdf

Skim that document and you will find it explained. Revision 5.3 and newer. I have Revision 5.4....

I had a debate a long time ago with another member. We were both adamant about our experiences with AGS. Once I found this reference it was clear we BOTH were correct, we just had different revisions.

I found it when I was trying to explain to others that Newmar uses this dongle in lieu of a remote temp probe. It simply networks the Dometic control box to the AGS. I don’t know why they don’t explain it in the AGS manual. They aren’t the best a documentation sometimes.

Hope this helps.
According to that, high temp doesn't work with the PT-2. So now I'm confused. Do we all have the PT-2 and no high temp?
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkhorses View Post
According to that, high temp doesn't work with the PT-2. So now I'm confused. Do we all have the PT-2 and no high temp?
I have a PT-2 manual in with all my newmar manuals, so it's a standard installed item.
Old 07-05-2019, 11:10 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't profess to know what Newmar installs...other than 2016 Ventanas...but I would think if you have a non-silverleaf moduled rig...and dometic a/c units...you probably have one of the PT dongles.

It doesn't mean it won't trigger on high temp...it just means you have to use Ext. INPUT instead of a temperature setting. The temperature is set at the CCC2 thermostat.

I believe the PT2 using Ext. INPUT is more intuitive...

If you look at your AGS module it's easy to see what they have wired to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170427_175510.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	263.2 KB
ID:	252268  
Old 07-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I don't profess to know what Newmar installs...other than 2016 Ventanas...but I would think if you have a non-silverleaf moduled rig...and dometic a/c units...you probably have one of the PT dongles.

It doesn't mean it won't trigger on high temp...it just means you have to use Ext. INPUT instead of a temperature setting. The temperature is set at the CCC2 thermostat.

I believe the PT2 using Ext. INPUT is more intuitive...

If you look at your AGS module it's easy to see what they have wired to it.
Thanks, will take a look when I get it back. It's in for the usual new coach warranty fix stuff.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:43 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been awhile, didn't have a chance to look at mine. Seems the day before I was to pick it up from warranty work someone drove around the end of the building and ran into our new coach. Then they didn't report it to their insurance. What a mess. Finally got it repaired and back so that was the delay and we were finally able to look what we really had.
My setup is like yours so it appears that if any of the AC units calls for cooling the G
AGS will call for the Gen to start. So that doesn't really work for us. Looks like we will have to go with power out then start the gen.

Tags
advice