Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

AGS start voltage vs Low Voltage Cutoff

Hello All,

I am curious to get some settings for the Magnum inverter with AGS. We are boon docking and lost all AC power this morning when the batteries hit the LVCO point. I was a bit surprised by this as I had the AGS armed.

Doing it a little research it looks like AGS kicks in after 2 minutes at the specified AGS voltage and the inverter cuts off power after 1 minute at the specified LVCO voltage. Newmar had both set at 12.2 volts.

As you can imagine the LVCO triggered, killed all of the AC load, after which the batter voltage recovered to a voltage that was higher than the AGS voltage.

My inclination here is to lower the LVCO voltage to 12.1 so that the system gets the generator running before LVCO hits. Thoughts?

How do you successful boon dockers have this configured?

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

John, I think you are setting them too high. The setting I use, and this was Newmar's service number also, is 11.8 volts. While you may think this is too low, you must understand this. The setting you use should be the "rested state". When the voltage drops as low as 11.8 (and this is usually reached during normal spiking,) the rested state is generally about 50% charge, or 12.3 volts.

I have used this figure since 2006 and have never had an issue.

Peter
Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
John-

I agree with Peter although I have a different system. Maybe yours has these settings as well but my AGS can also be configured to start only after a predetermined period of seconds or minutes below a specified voltage so as to prevent a generator start triggered by a momentary voltage drop caused by a brief high load condition.
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
John, I think you are setting them too high. The setting I use, and this was Newmar's service number also, is 11.8 volts. While you may think this is too low, you must understand this. The setting you use should be the "rested state". When the voltage drops as low as 11.8 (and this is usually reached during normal spiking,) the rested state is generally about 50% charge, or 12.3 volts.

I have used this figure since 2006 and have never had an issue.

Peter
Are you setting both the inverter's LBCO and the AGS the same 11.8V?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #5

No, I have always left the invertor at the factory default, which I believe is far below 11.8 volts and only had to set the AGS voltage
Old 04-24-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
No, I have always left the invertor at the factory default, which I believe is far below 11.8 volts and only had to set the AGS voltage
OK thanks. I believe the default LBCO setting is 10.0V. What temperature do you set you AGS?
Old 04-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #7

The temperature start is triggered by any demand for AC on any or all zones. It works great on a hot boondocking night. Set only the bedroom AC on cool and close the door to isolate the sleeping quarters. The genset will start and stop all night and keep you comfortable. Generally it will run a total of say 15 minutes per hour. Great feature.

Peter
Old 04-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback so far. As I mentioned both LVCO and AGS start were set at 12.2v. We boondocked over night. I ran the generator for two hours before bedtime (10:30) and turned most everything off. With a bit of fridge, tv, and furnace (1 hour in the morning) I hit LVCO after about 10 hours. I was a bit surprised that we hit it quite that fast.

I am trying to determine what we should have those set at. I believe that the voltage for LVCO is likely set by the amp hours of the batter setup as well.

John
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
12.2v seems too high for LVCO. The factory default setting is 10.0v. I would try that and set the AGS to 11.8 like Lug Nut mentioned. The voltage can drop well below 12.2v under a heavy load, although your charge is still above 50%.