Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Air bags auto deflate while lowering jacks

I have always dumped the air bags then started manually leveling with the jacks first thing in a new campground. The other day I lowered the jacks first while at home and when I stepped out I could hear air escaping as the bags deflated.

On a 2015 Dutch Star is this common for the bags to deflate when the jacks are lowered manually? Also, recently for the first time I found out the bags won't begin to air up until the jacks are completely retracted. Guess all this has a purpose.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:27 PM   #2

Yes. Everything is working correctly.
judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First question........why are you lowering your jacks manually. The system works pretty well and is pretty smart about what to do. When you lower manually, you'll never get ALL the jacks to touch the ground. Your system, when lowering automatically, lowers all the jacks as needed and then does a search to make sure every jack has pressure on it. Any jack without pressure is lowered some more until it feels pressure. When you lower manually, your jacks lower in pairs and you'll never be able to get all of them to touch the ground (occasionally you can luck into them touching). Consequently, your coach will be wobbly if only three jacks are touching.

Because of the jack pressure check issue, I try never to adjust my jacks after they manually set, unless I get the excessive slope light.

-When you manually dump your air bags, the jacks shouldn't do anything.

-I don't recall if mine ever tried to dump air when lowering the jacks manually. I don't think I've tried to lower them that way in three years and 31K. No need to.

-My coach, the airbags inflate when I start the coach. It often takes a while and usually doesn't happen until my tanks are almost full. Then in the last 3-4 minutes, my bags will inflate. I do this all the time so that I don't get that big drop when I retract the jacks.

Please explain why you're circumventing the automatic leveling system.....is there something we're missing or an issue you're having?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 12:46 PM   #4

The less automatic stuff I have to work with the better, then I'm not surprised when it doesn't work. Tried the auto leveling at first and didn't like the way it worked the coach around searching for the level spot. Kind of like the way the Trav'ler dish on the roof keeps searching up/down and round/round for the satellite for several minutes.
The jacks don't do anything when manually dumping the air bags, it's the air bags automatically dumping if the jacks are lowered first manually, maybe to just get a little rise in front for the roof water to run off the back since the front roof drains seem to be the worst about stopping up while setting in the back yard.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I have always dumped the air bags then started manually leveling with the jacks first thing in a new campground. The other day I lowered the jacks first while at home and when I stepped out I could hear air escaping as the bags deflated.

On a 2015 Dutch Star is this common for the bags to deflate when the jacks are lowered manually? Also, recently for the first time I found out the bags won't begin to air up until the jacks are completely retracted. Guess all this has a purpose.

I hit the Auto-level button. That's it. It dumps the air and levels the coach. Never a problem.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Actually, you're more likely to have issues circumventing than the automatic levelers, by manually lowering the coach. As I stated, your jacks can't/won't sit properly the way you're doing it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks