Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #1

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

My husband thinks we need air brakes for our toad, a Honda CRV. What are others thoughts on airbrakes for toads? Are they needed?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2007 Newmar Ventana 3933
KarenEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:15 PM   #2

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year!

My husband thinks we need air brakes for our toad, a Honda CRV. What are others thoughts on airbrakes for toads? Are they needed?

Thanks in advance for your input!

2007 Newmar Ventana 3933
KarenEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">welcoem aboard to irv2... Since the CRV is not that heavy and the MH is heavier then the toad it self you don not need beakes of any kind I tow a tahoe behind my coach and use no brake syatem at all my coach also wigh's 15 tons and 17 1/2 tons fully loaded... the tahoe weigh's about 5500 pounds.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seth....with all due respect intended, I believe you are sadly mistaken..... I hope I never travel in front of you when you make that panic stop or have to stop that mess coming down a mountain....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Karen,
Read this and then decide if you need a supplemental brake system for your toad. This is my 30th year of owning coaches. My first toad had no supplemental brakes. I didn't like it. Got supplemental brakes for it and every toad since.

There are many different brands and models of supplemental brake systems. The best advice I can share is for you to find the local dealerships that sell different brands. Go to the dealership and have the choices demonstrated. Then you try what the salesman just showed you. When you find a system that you feel comfortable with the hook up and unhook tasks, that is the one you should purchase. For me, I have my system (US Gear)set for maximum toad braking.

Lastly, individual states set their own towing laws regarding supplemental brake systems. There may be a large liability if the unfortunate accient happens and you are in need of a supplemental braking system and didn't have one.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I too recommend toad brakes.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #6

Peter,

Think safety. The main reason for a breaking system on a toad is for that unforeseen emergency. Imagine your toad breaking away at 55mph with out a breaking system installed, or doing a panic stop while going down a steep grade and having it whip around to one side of your MH like a wet noodle. Either one of these scenarios spells disaster. For these reasons I would use a breaking system, weather it was a 1000lbs or 15000lbs to be towed.

Good luck in your shopping,
Chris
Old 01-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Seth,Tiffany and Henry(MH Dog) Winick:
rebalbeach... I have never had a problem with stopping or had to do a panic stop... I try to avoid those situations... and have been blessed to... But I do use brakes when towing the trailer with all those toys and that much weight... But never had a problem with the Tahoe... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Godspeed with your hopes to avoid all those instances where brakes would be helpful, but remember they're called accidents simply because you don't plan to have them...

As others have posted, I would first rather err to the side of safety and furthermore I'd rather be able to show to some attorney or judge that I did everything in my power should there ever be an accident.

Signed,

rebelsbeach
Old 01-05-2008, 02:47 PM   #8

Rebelsbeach,

Good point on the legal side. Another thought, could one actually be able to live with them-self if there toad should break away and harm or kill another just to save a few dollars. I couldn't.

Chris
Old 01-05-2008, 04:10 PM   #9

I have towed two Honda CR-Vs behind diesel motorhomes and I never considered towing without auxillary brakes on the CR-V. There are many quality braking systems on the market so choice the one you like best. Be sure you have a break-a-way system too.
Old 01-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #10

A ginger comment on this very delicate and deeply religious topic.

Basically, without argument, we can all agree that most, not all, states/provinces require brakes on heavier TRAILERS. The religion on this whole issue is do YOU consider a TOAD a TRAILER? It's that simple.

Will the police, if ever pulled over for this, see it the same as you do? Will your insurance, if they ever check things out, say the same?

Have you talked to anyone who has slammed on the RV brakes in a panic stop and caused frame damage to an UNbraked toad because the UNbraked toad had to be completely panic stopped by the frame mounted hitch plates? I actually have, an F-150 no less. Yep, even if you think the RV may be able to handle an UNbraked toad, the real question to ask is can your toad handle being UNbraked?

For ME, a toad IS a trailer no matter how I slice it and I will always have brakes in MY toad. I also do this for the safety of anyone on the road as well. That's my personal religion.

There now, I think I took all religious rants out of this post and simply presented the things we each need to personally consider.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

Oh Jeffy..... you're my hero!
Old 01-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I really have an issue with the folks that hide behind a poorly written law which states that a dinghy is not a trailer. I am sorry but the laws of physics far out weigh the laws of a state. What it all boils down to is that the motorhome does not know if it has a "legal trailer" of 3500# in tow vs. a dinghy of 3500#.

3500# IS 3500# NO MATTER WHAT YOU CALL IT. And you need the additional help of slowing down the addition weight.

I also could never sleep if I had a dinghy come loose and harm someone. In the past year, there were a couple of cases where a dinghy came loose and resulted in more than damage to the dinghy.

No way I can put a dollar value on a persons safety, so when we had a motorhome and towed a dinghy, we had dinghy brakes and a break-away system.

KJen
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 PM   #13

The only place I towed my Wrangler without brakes was to the RV shop to get the brakes installed.
I have 4 trailers ranging from 2,500# gross to 10,000# gross, and ALL have brakes. I know the law says the smallest one doesn't have to have brakes, but I say it does.
If you've ever seen the carnage that a breakaway can cause you'll never tow anything without a breakaway system again. If your failure to have brakes on your toad causes a crash that seriously injures or kills someone, you could face vehicular assault or vehicular manslaughter charges due to criminal negligence.

BTW Seth, Tiffany & Henry, you are way over length with a 38' trailer behind your coach. I put you at about 13' too long, and that is assuming your 38' includes the tongue. I don't even want to go into a 5500#, 20+ foot long toad with no brakes.

CSX4350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
If your DH wants air brakes I would suggest M&G, they are a very simple 1 minute hookup each time you tow. They have provided me with 6000 miles without problems so far. They carry an excellent warranty.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote