Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air brakes/spring brakes

I'm studying hard for this Non-commercial Class B test. Reading the CDL manual. I came across this caution: Never push the brake pedal down when the spring brakes are on. If you do, the brakes could be damaged by the combined forces of the springs and the air pressure.

So in what order do you do these when starting your engine?
Release spring brake?
Press on brake pedal?
Put it in gear?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

What do you need a Noncommercial CDL for?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
What do you need a Noncommercial CDL for?
It's a Non-commercial Class B. I need it because I live in PA and our motorhome weighs more than 26,000 pounds. Since the coach has air brakes, I also have to do the air brake test. The only manual available from the state to study is the CDL manual.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
It is the law in Texas.

You have the order correct. Release park brake and then push on the service brake. Do not matter when you shift the transmission.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #5

The question was! What order would you do these things before starting engine. Why would you do any of the three. I would start the engine with the parking (spring) brake set. Then when ready to move release parking brake, apply service brake, put in gear.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:33 AM   #6

You know anybody that don't have there foot on the brake pedal when they push the emergency brake knob? Didn't think so. Maybe I"m wrong but don't you have to have air to release the brakes? Am I backwords?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, more confusing stuff from the CDL manual. I always put my foot on the brake before releasing the spring brake but that caution concerned me. Thought I'd check with the experts here who've been around longer than me.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

Forget everything but what what the book says and the answer that they want...
Foxhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
I'm studying hard for this Non-commercial Class B test. Reading the CDL manual. I came across this caution: Never push the brake pedal down when the spring brakes are on. If you do, the brakes could be damaged by the combined forces of the springs and the air pressure.

So in what order do you do these when starting your engine?
Release spring brake?
Press on brake pedal?
Put it in gear?
That "advice" is absolutely wrong for modern air brakes (since at least 2000). The modern units use a double acting diaphragm and can't be hurt by full pressure of the service brakes.
But to pass the exam you need to answer the way they want!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The OP's question was about combining forces. Nothing else, not about why you need the air brake certification or anything else.
What happens when the spring brakes are applied, the air that was keeping them released is exhausted and the springs apply a manual spring tension on the brakes. It is in the range of 35-45# psi. If the spring/park brake is applied and you apply air pressure by way of the foot brake pedal then whatever pressure you apply with your foot is "compounded/combined". So if you apply full tank pressure of 130# and the spring brake is on you now have 35-45psi plus 130psi so therefore you now have 175# psi applied to the brake system which could lead to bent parts.
You would not normally apply that much foot pressure so if you only apply enough foot pedal pressure to keep the coach from rolling you would only have maybe 40#psi therefore you would only have maybe 90-95# combined pressure. It is good to be aware of the compounding/combing issue just be aware that you should not apply full foot pedal pressure until the park brake is fully released. BTW it is an issue to be aware of but I've been dealing with air equipped vehicles and machinery for 40 years and never seen any damage attributable to compounding. I always just lightly apply the foot pedal pressure and release the spring/park brake. Hope that clears up your question I know it's long winded!
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #11

Most, if not all, air brake equipped vehicles employ an anti-compounding valve to prevent this damage from happening. You therefore can apply service back pressure while the spring brakes are engaged. I always use lighter pressure than normal for this task. The reason this is still taught is the fact that you must be able to operate any vehicle year, including ones that may be old and may not be so equipped.
Never the less, it is still a good practice to not apply heavy pressure to the service brake while the park brake is engaged.

Peter
Old 08-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #12
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
That "advice" is absolutely wrong for modern air brakes (since at least 2000). The modern units use a double acting diaphragm and can't be hurt by full pressure of the service brakes.
But to pass the exam you need to answer the way they want!
If it was a problem, there would be countless MHs with brake problems and there is not, as most owners know very little about air brakes.

I don't ever recall hearing of a problem.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #13

Too bad the clown writing the manual , and the test questions for that matter; couldn't state " Apply service brake lightly, while releasing park brake". A lot of difference, between a 10% application; to keep the coach from rolling, and a 75>100% application that would damage a system without anti-compounding features.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can you say Government Employee? Most are al least Brain Surgeon qualified.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes