Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #1

Air Buzzer Alarm

Has anyone ever had the problem of the air alarm buzzer not shutting off ? Ours worked right when we bought it and we have used it several times, but when we got home from camping last week, we had to listen to it all the way home ! (10 miles ). We have been told it could be a sensor. If he can find the sensor, is there a way to test it ? Our unit is a 1999 Dutch Star, Freightliner chassis. I sure hope someone can help us !
kawliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not familiar with the workings of a 99 Dutch Star, but is your jack alarm and air alarm the same sound. If so, you could be low on jack fluid.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
air buzzer alarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I'm not familiar with the workings of a 99 Dutch Star, but is your jack alarm and air alarm the same sound. If so, you could be low on jack fluid.

Yea, my 2010 Winnebago DP used the hydraulic fluid level in the tank as the jack alarm. It was ALWAYS going off the five years we owned it unless the fluid was filled to overflowing. Stupid system of monitoring weather the jacks are down or not. If my jacks really were really down, I would have ignored the alarm and drove off anyway causing all sorts of damage.

Boy (alarm) who cried wolf?

Our 2015 Ventana has a micro switch on each jack. Makes a lot more sense to me than indirectly monitoring fluid level.

If your air alarm is really going off, your pressures would read low on the gauges. THAT would not be good and would compromise the ability to stop.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why test limits? Take it to a Freightliner shop and solve the problem. These things need to be maintained.
blang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

No low fluid warning on my HWH system , no sensor in the tank.
Air buzzer defect is a common problem. Here's the fix.
Second document may come in handy too. If you have further problems.

kawliga; I've collected a great deal of info on my 99 Dutch Star in the 4 1/2 years since I bought it , a lot of it here in the forums , and a bunch more by joining " Access Freightliner "

www.accessfreightliner.com

Also keep the Free help line # handy, have your serial number, with you, when you call.
1-800-385-4357
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VDC_Repair FL VDU.pdf (235.5 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 37 views)
Old 06-22-2015, 11:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
air buzzer alarm

Ah yes, the wonderful VDC dance! Ours went loopy a while back.

Kawliga, one thing you didn't mention was the behavior of your other air indicators. Are your gauges fluctuating? Very rapidly? My rear air gauge would go from normal to zero, to max high, to zero,-- often instantly-- and the buzzer would trigger for every low reading. Compressed air simply does not do that-- has to be a sensor or system issue, and in our vintage that often means the VDC failure. I disconnected my buzzer to avoid insanity, and when we were in Gaffney during the winter for our M3 I had the VDC replaced. For the record, diagnosis, parts, and labor covered without hesitation by my service contract, and approved immediately to Freightliner (Pat) while I stood there. As a matter of policy FL does not handle any funds on service contracts, but they will make the calls and handle the approvals. I paid FL for the VDC (a bit over $400) and had my reimbursement check in hand 4 days later. Cost me only my deductible. :-)

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:08 PM   #7

Cool instructional pdf on the VDC repair! I'll keep that in mind if and when our goes tango uniform!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 04:05 PM   #8

Just want to thank everyone for helping out ! Took the rig to the repair shop and he asked if the jacks were all up, we checked, and one was down about 2". Raised it all the way up and the buzzer stopped. When we left the campground, it was pouring down rain and I didn't get out and check them like I usually do. I will do it from now on, rain or not ! I also had an oil leak and the repair shop fixed that, too. Ended up costing $94.00. The rig is ready to roll again and we have reservations to camp on the lake about 10 miles from us.
kawliga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:46 PM   #9

This info sheet may be of interest if cleaning the jacks doesn't help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HWH jack & spring info.pdf (8.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 06-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My MH uses the same piercing alarm for air, jacks and when I leave the turn signal on too long. The last one scares the crap out of me every time.

I bought a new alar to replace the piercing alarm but I'll be darned if I can find the OEM alarm, I can't stand to listen to it long enough to locate it.
ScoobyMike is offline   Reply With Quote