RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2019, 10:00 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air conditioner is bad, need recommendation on new

Hi - my rear air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. I'm sitting at the shop right now. The tech did the compressor is only pulling 6 amps on full cool and it should be pulling 16 amps there is some kind of internal failure in the compressor unit, and it needs to be replaced. He tried to get it to kick in and it won't.

What should I replace it with? I figure putting another 13500btu unit probably isn't a good idea. If I put a 15000 BTU unit up there what brand and model is likely to not need replacement for a few years? I don't tend to run it year round.

I appreciate it!

ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post
Hi - my rear air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. I'm sitting at the shop right now. The tech did the compressor is only pulling 6 amps on full cool and it should be pulling 16 amps there is some kind of internal failure in the compressor unit, and it needs to be replaced. He tried to get it to kick in and it won't.

What should I replace it with? I figure putting another 13500btu unit probably isn't a good idea. If I put a 15000 BTU unit up there what brand and model is likely to not need replacement for a few years? I don't tend to run it year round.

I appreciate it!
I would get a second opinion. An AC can fail at any time but three years is very short. Most shops are honest , but some will sell you a new AC and put in a new capacitor and sell your old AC for 500.00.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

What price did they quote you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericllucas View Post

I appreciate it!
I have a rooftop 11,000 BTU on my Class B; it's working fine, but, it's a 2012..

What is the typical life span in years of these units? Just curious?
MWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #4

Depends. My 2005 unit is still working fine.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm guessing you have a Dometic unit, since that's primarily what Newmar uses. Dometic has had issues with quality control over the past 5-6 years. Units not working when new, units breaking down in the first few years etc.

Personally, if I had a chance to switch to another brand, I would. Just make sure everything is compatible with how it's mounted and the thermostat.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:50 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
How do I know which makes and models work on a 2016 Canyon Star? I'm told the wiring is unique to Newmar...
Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 PM   #7
DJJ

If it is a Dometic ac unit you might want to call the warranty dept with your serial number. One of my 3 1/2 year old units went out the end of the summer, with the help of this forum I determined the coils in the compressor were shorted out. Unit would kick the CB when the compressor would try to kick in. The guy I spoke with at the warranty department said the compressor was not a serviceable part and since the whole unit would have to be replaced they would cover it under warranty. The warranty is 2 years. The thing is I did not even have to ask he just said that's what he would do.

He said he could not send me the unit it would have to go to an authorized Dometic service place. I replaced both units myself 3 1/2 years ago. He would put a note in the system under the serial number so when an authorized dealer called in it would be covered. New AC came in yesterday and I am taking RV in in the am. Local guy charges 1 1/2 hours labor. Newmar uses a unique cross over gasket so I ordered and have that for tomorrow.

So just letting you know it's worth the call to the warranty department you might just get lucky too.

Jeff
DJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #8

New options

I recently came across another option for replacing A.C. units. It's Furrion AC. Furrion is making waves because all of them have "soft start" built into them so you don't have the large voltage draw.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:15 AM   #9

We just installed a Coleman 15k btu Mach 10. It’s been a great unit. I might mention I needed a little technical help from their factory and they could NOT have more helpful. I’m very appreciative for their help.
Traxless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #10

I agree with the post to call Dometic. They may offer some assistance. I do suggest you get the 15k unit. We only have one in our 31 ft BSS but it works really well unless parked in direct sunshine and 90 temps.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
You need to eyeball the capacitors, how a person can do that one might ask.

Get on the roof remove the cover, look for a silver can, maybe 2, if they are deformed, take it out climb down the ladder with it or both after taking a few pictures of where each colored wire is located on the can, go online and order 2 of each.

Easy peasey !
Chief Alen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE - I did get on the roof, take the cover off, visually inspect the unit and I took pictures of the nameplates.

I called Dometic and spoke with a nice lady. She informed me immediately that because I am not the person that owned the rig when the air conditioner was replaced, the warranty is no longer in force.

I said, I understand the air conditioner is less than a year old. She said, essentially, they can put a new air conditioner in on a Monday, sell it on a Tuesday morning, the AirCon fails Tuesday afternoon, and Wednesday morning the AirCon has no warranty protection.

I asked if there was someone I could speak to about this, as it doesn't make sense that Dometic wouldn't stand behind a product simply because the person that owns it changes. She said no, there is no one that can change their policy.

She took my name and number and provided it to her supervisor.

She confirmed that Dometic no longer makes RV Air Conditioners in the USA.

She confirmed that given the compressor drawing half the current flow it should, the entire unit needs to be replaced.

Okay, I looked all over and didn't see any caps externally replaceable. I took a bunch of pictures so that I could look at them later, which I did. There are no can-type caps anywhere on that unit I could see. The wiring comes from the harness to the air-moving motor and to the compressor. They go directly through a grommet-type hole in the compressor and that's it. No external can-type can, with wires that go thence into the compressor. If there is a cap, its inside the compressor.

There we have it.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:44 AM   #13

Even if you are the original owner, they will work you over with their warranty. Our rear unit on our 2014 BS went out at 2 years and 9 months. They replaced it under warranty (used to be a 3 year warranty). They then told me that the warranty for the brand new unit was whatever was left of the original warranty (3 months in our case). I told her that they didn't have very much confidence in their products. Fast forward 2.5 years and that unit just went out again. I had it replaced, on my dime, with the High Capacity 15,000 btu AC/HP. It works like a champ so far. We were out in Rock Hall MD this past week. Other than a monsoon rain storm, followed by a Bomb Cyclone (winds around 35 - 40 with gusts over 50) everything worked well. I had the front unit set to HP 68 and the rear unit set to HP and 69. The front did 95% of the work. Since they both share the same duct work, the front unit kept the whole place toasty. Total additional cost to go with the 15,000 unit was about $250.

If you have a Dometic Penguin II, I would probably unfortunately stick with Dometic, unless they can make the new unit work with the Dometic thermostat.

We have had no problems out of our front unit. It works, and it works well. The new unit actually cools better than the front unit. I can't say anything about the HP portion, yet.

Good luck!

BPoland is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner