RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2017, 10:58 PM   #1

Air Conditioner Replacement

I recently purchased a 99 Dutch Star DP 3884 and one of my concerns is that the A/C units are old and not working as good as they could. the A/C units installed now are the Dometic Penguin 13500 BTU. They may be the original. I have looked at replacing them with the Brisk Air 15000 BTU or maybe the new Penguin rated at 15000 BTU. These are ducted units. Do I understand correctly that if I get the newer style universal plenum seals or whatever they are called, I can install any Dometic A/C unit. I have studied the quick tips on this forum regarding this project. Also is the only difference between the ducted and non ducted units the inside air box and controls, is the top the same ? I am in Alaska and don't want to pay shipping for the wrong air conditioners. No one stocks anything up here. Thanks

nutcker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2017, 04:42 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
why wouldn't call the manufacturer?

jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcker View Post
I recently purchased a 99 Dutch Star DP 3884 and one of my concerns is that the A/C units are old and not working as good as they could. the A/C units installed now are the Dometic Penguin 13500 BTU. They may be the original. I have looked at replacing them with the Brisk Air 15000 BTU or maybe the new Penguin rated at 15000 BTU. These are ducted units. Do I understand correctly that if I get the newer style universal plenum seals or whatever they are called, I can install any Dometic A/C unit. I have studied the quick tips on this forum regarding this project. Also is the only difference between the ducted and non ducted units the inside air box and controls, is the top the same ? I am in Alaska and don't want to pay shipping for the wrong air conditioners. No one stocks anything up here. Thanks

This gets a little complicated for the era of your RV.

Do you have a 4-button or 5-button thermostat?

Does your ceiling have large square A/C vents or smaller circular vents on the COLD side?
Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 AM   #4

Nutcker, bruceisla and I had some very detailed discussions and post on this subject and since you are in Alaska, spend some time in reading our posts. In order to determine which AC unit to buy, you will need to know the exact configuration of the roof plenum assembly and what modifications may be required. Your options would be the Brisk II, Penguin II, Blizzard, or even the Atwood series. But again, depending on the roof configuration, modifications to the plenum are required. The only possible exception would be the Penguin II series.

If you decide to modify, we can show 2 different ways to go.

To your question on the newer style plenum, modifications will be required. I'll post some picture of that new style.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #5

For reference here's a picture of the roof mount plastic plenum. Left side is supply, right side is return. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0692.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	157416
Old 04-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #6

Subscribing, I have a 2000 DS gasser and am researching the Penguin to Penguin ll swap. I currently have the 5 button CCC thermostat and round supply and return vents.
onebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:20 PM   #7

New Part helps conversion

I have a 96 London Aire and also looking to upgrade old Penguin units. In doing research, including many helpful posts here, I came to understand about the unique Newmar plenum layout used for the original penguin units.

I reached out to Newmar tech support and they provided a PDF with a couple of parts to convert layout for use of Dometic Brisk Aire II units. The primary one is a new plastic plenum plate Newmar P/N 123981 and an aluminum brace tube, Newmar P/N 04460Z. The PDF had instructions on how to make the conversion, apparently new was dated 3/17. I called the parts department and ordered 2 of the plenum plates @ ~$37 ea, I decided not to order the aluminum square tube as they were ~$41 ea and consist of a square aluminum tube with angle brackets on either end. These are easily fabricated and materials are way less than cost of prefabricated ones.

The PDF was titled:
How to Modify an Air Conditioner Roof Plenum to Accomodate a 13,500
BTU Brisk Air II Air Conditioner

I just ordered them this week and look forward to receiving them and am procuring the Brisk Air II units in the meantime.

My MH had been upgraded by previous owner to the 5 button CCC P/N 3109228.001 with P/N 3109226.005 control kits in each unit. From what I can find online it appears as though the new Brisk Aire 2 units will work with the controls I have which should help the process. Anybody know different?
FL_ED2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #8

Newmar Brisk Aire II conversion Instructions and P/N

Hopefully attached is the PDF.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #9

I'm glad to see that Newmar realized the need for the new plenum design and wish that they had it last November when I did my Blizzard installation.

The universal plenum #52956 is required for the Penguin II AC units whereas the new #123981 will work for the Brisk II and Blizzard series.

The reasoning for the new design is the Dometic moved the location of the supply side opening which would cause a mixing of air between the supply and return ducting.

Ironic but that new plastic design is very close to what I made out of aluminum.

It definitely worth the $37 for the molded plenum.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #10

Glad they heard to call.

Lass,

I had read your posts on the conversion and was not looking forward to trying it myself. I was on their website and saw the 52956 part in the online catalog and initially thought it was a conversion plate as the pics of the plenum area I had seen were taken after the plate was removed.

A bit of follow up with folks on the phone at Newmar led to the info I posted. They haven't added it to their online library yet. In general, they don't have the best website.

Guess dumb luck worked in my favor this time....
Old 04-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #11

FL ED2, 007 should add your PDF to the stickies. It will be a benefit to anyone looking to upgrade their AC systems.

I had to engineer my own design and also had the advantage of CNC equipment at work but your information makes it a lot easier.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:14 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here are two links on ac installations --- # 1 plus mounting info and # 2 ------additional info.
This link will lead you to all TSB's and recaiis, brochure, owners guide on your coach.
All the links below in my signature will have info for your coach.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:52 AM   #13

Be aware (after looking at the pics supplied by Newmar) that the new Brisk Ait II will not have the cold air output centered over the cold air ductwork .... this may result in a very slight loss of air flow ... maybe not even noticeable. BTW, I am very pleased with my new Brisk Air IIs.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:52 PM   #14

I want to thank everyone that replied to this post, I have read all the replies and spoke with Newmar and Dometic, I think I am going to go with the new 15000 BTU Penguins. I have e-mailed Dometic the model and serial numbers of my existing units and the thermostat I have, (four button Duo Therm), and I am waiting for them to give me model numbers of the units and thermostat I need. Hoping I don't have to change too much wiring, Dometic said they would advise me of that also. I don't think I will need to replace plenum with these but we will see. Will let you know how it works out, Thanks again.

nutcker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air conditioner, replace, replacement