RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-13-2019, 07:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
BPoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 941
Air Conditioning Question

About 3 years ago, we had to have our rear AC/Heat Pump replaced under warranty. We had the work done at a local RV repair place an although it does cool to some extent, it’s nothing like the front unit as far as performance. I have heard that Newmar uses a special gasket when installing their AC units, and I’m wondering if the shop used the right gasket. If the front unit is running and the rear one os off, I still have a good amount of air flowing to the vents in the bedroom. If the rear unit is on and the front is off, I still have air flow thru the front vents. Are zone 1 and zone 2 independent, or is it really 1 vent system that both AC units share

We do not get the performance out of the rear unit to keep the bedroom cool in the Florida sun. So before we head that way, I need to figure this out.

Thanks in advance
__________________

__________________
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune, CHF
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 35,961
In our '02 DSDP the plenum's were just a straight run so if only one heat pump was on you got air out of the whole system.
__________________

__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 Jeep JKU
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:03 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
About 3 years ago, we had to have our rear AC/Heat Pump replaced under warranty. We had the work done at a local RV repair place an although it does cool to some extent, itís nothing like the front unit as far as performance. I have heard that Newmar uses a special gasket when installing their AC units, and Iím wondering if the shop used the right gasket. If the front unit is running and the rear one os off, I still have a good amount of air flowing to the vents in the bedroom. If the rear unit is on and the front is off, I still have air flow thru the front vents. Are zone 1 and zone 2 independent, or is it really 1 vent system that both AC units share

We do not get the performance out of the rear unit to keep the bedroom cool in the Florida sun. So before we head that way, I need to figure this out.

Thanks in advance

I don't know about a Baystar but all Newmars I've seen use the same type of installation. Techs that are not VERY familiar with a Newmar install may be unaware of the special "dogleg" gasket requirement. It is an additional gasket (available from Newmar ... not Dometic. Not installing the gasket causes an air leak from cool side to warm side. Low performance and frost are the side effects.
Yes... the ductwork is common path for warm and also common for cool.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
BPoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 941
If I have to replace it, can I increase the size?

Currently both units are Dometic 13K. Can I have them install a 15K heat pump for the rear, or do I have to stay with the original 13K heat pumps?
__________________
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune, CHF
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:48 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
We_B_Tripn's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Sterling, VA
Posts: 1,086
I have a 2018 Bay Star. Our front AC is 15k and the rear is 13.5k. I donít see why you couldnít upgrade to the higher unit. I think itís called ďhigh capacityĒ now versus 15k. Ours has the common plenum so either unit pushes air throughout the coach.
__________________
Bill and Dustee and the Kids
2018 Newmar Bay Star 3406
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA: F482061 | NKK: 22422
We_B_Tripn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
FatChance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2,400
The "dogleg" gasket used with a Newmar A/C installation can be easily made from a second inexpensive Dometic 14x14 gasket. In fact, you can do two installations with 3 inexpensive Dometic gaskets. The Newmar gaskets are about $120 each from Newmar, the Dometics are about $30 each...
__________________
'04 Newmar Mountain Aire 4016
400ISL/Freightliner
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #7
Community Moderator
 
"007"'s Avatar


 
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 29,548
Here is the AC seal set up for your coach and there is more information on AC's in QT's 1 & 2.
__________________
98KSCA, 99MACA, 03 KSCA-3740- 8.1 Chev-- ALLISON Trans
VISIT the NEWMAR QUICK TIPS & EASYMODS 1 & 2
QUICK TIPS # 3
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
The "dogleg" gasket used with a Newmar A/C installation can be easily made from a second inexpensive Dometic 14x14 gasket. In fact, you can do two installations with 3 inexpensive Dometic gaskets. The Newmar gaskets are about $120 each from Newmar, the Dometics are about $30 each...

This is true. Make sure you use genuine Dometic gaskets ... many substitutes are a different density.
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:07 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
imgoin4it's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 359
We have a 13.5 unit in the rear of our kountry Star DP. It is the original unit, never replaced and it will get the bed room cold. Used to tell people I could use it for hanging meat. The original front unit was also a 13.5. I replaced it with replace it a year or so ago with a 15 k unit. Until I replaced the front I put a fan on the floor of the bed room and used to to help cool the front. Putting the 15k unit in the front was the best thing I could have done. Don’t have to use the extra fan any more and can cool both ends of the coach. Suggest you take your coach to a repair facility that understands Nemars and have it checked. Something is wrong
__________________
Howard & Connie. USAF Retired
2007 Newmar KSDP tow Jeep 4dr wrangler
member of IRV2since 2003
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Currently both units are Dometic 13K. Can I have them install a 15K heat pump for the rear, or do I have to stay with the original 13K heat pumps?
I would put the 15k in the front and leave the 13k in the rear. The front is the area you use the most and with a large window it is the area that gets the warmest.
__________________
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2011 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
BPoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 941
We had the coach out locally over the weekend. I had a partially shaded sight. I had the rear unit set at 71 degrees. It was doing ok, until 11am. At that point the outside temp went to 88, and the rear unit turned on and ran solid until 8:30pm and only managed to keep the temp around 74.

So my plan is:

Go back to the shop that installed the replacement rear unit, and ask them about the dog leg gasket. Since the Dog leg gasket is specific to Newmar, I can't really say it's their fault, I just need it fixed.

Have them remove the rear unit and inspect for the dog leg gasket.
If the dog leg is missing, install it along with a new set of gaskets.

If the dog leg gasket is installed (which I doubt) then install a new unit Ö.again.
__________________
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune, CHF
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
We had the coach out locally over the weekend. I had a partially shaded sight. I had the rear unit set at 71 degrees. It was doing ok, until 11am. At that point the outside temp went to 88, and the rear unit turned on and ran solid until 8:30pm and only managed to keep the temp around 74.

So my plan is:

Go back to the shop that installed the replacement rear unit, and ask them about the dog leg gasket. Since the Dog leg gasket is specific to Newmar, I can't really say it's their fault, I just need it fixed.

Have them remove the rear unit and inspect for the dog leg gasket.
If the dog leg is missing, install it along with a new set of gaskets.

If the dog leg gasket is installed (which I doubt) then install a new unit ….again.

You don't need to remove the unit to inspect ... you can stick your hand in from up top with the cover removed and feel it. If I was betting ... it's not there.
If you go here A/C Removal
and look at #14 you will see an A/C flipped up with the gaskets on it ... note the piece that looks like a hockey stick. That's the dogleg gasket. It keeps the air from bleeding from the small square vent to the bigger oval vent. You can reach into the oval vent and feel the gasket with your fingers.

A/C Removal
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:14 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
BPoland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 941
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
You don't need to remove the unit to inspect ... you can stick your hand in from up top with the cover removed and feel it. If I was betting ... it's not there.
If you go here A/C Removal
and look at #14 you will see an A/C flipped up with the gaskets on it ... note the piece that looks like a hockey stick. That's the dogleg gasket. It keeps the air from bleeding from the small square vent to the bigger oval vent. You can reach into the oval vent and feel the gasket with your fingers.

A/C Removal
bruceisla,

Forgive the stupid question. When they originally replaced the rear unit, was there any bracketry or base plates that are Newmar specific, that they should have transferred to the new unit, or does the dog leg gasket go straight on the base of the new unit? I ask because if there was a special plate or bracket for Newmars, they probably didn't transfer that over. As I said, I'm not going to be trying to blame them. They are a general RV repair place, and probably wouldn't have known about the dog leg gasket. Even if they were to charge me $150 to yank it, install ALL the right gaskets and reinstall, I would still be money ahead.
__________________
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune, CHF
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
bruceisla,

Forgive the stupid question. When they originally replaced the rear unit, was there any bracketry or base plates that are Newmar specific, that they should have transferred to the new unit, or does the dog leg gasket go straight on the base of the new unit? I ask because if there was a special plate or bracket for Newmars, they probably didn't transfer that over. As I said, I'm not going to be trying to blame them. They are a general RV repair place, and probably wouldn't have known about the dog leg gasket. Even if they were to charge me $150 to yank it, install ALL the right gaskets and reinstall, I would still be money ahead.

No special hardware is required.
A typical parts list for a Newmar would be:
1) new topside Dometic unit (typically a Penguin low profile).
2) Dometic square foam gasket.
3) Newmar dogleg foam gasket (or make one from a Dometic square gasket).
4) a roll of Reflectix (or similar) metal tape (to repair any loose/damaged ductwork tape).
5) new lag bolts (if necessary).
6) silicone sealer (for lag bolts).


DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN LAG BOLTS. The Dometic torque specs to do not apply to a Newmar install since lag bolts are used instead of Dometic bolts.
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air, air conditioning



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dash Air Conditioning: Cabin Air Filter? RTegarini Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 3 06-24-2018 07:42 PM
Chassis Air Conditioning Question Volunteer Fleetwood Owner's Forum 8 09-09-2010 03:05 PM
Dash Air Conditioning putting out hot air Keith727 Newmar Owner's Forum 19 08-19-2009 08:44 PM
Another GNR Question - Air Conditioning??? sightseer 30B Winnebago International Travelers Club (WIT) 6 01-29-2008 05:31 PM
loss of air conditioning and fresh air through vents cwg Newmar Owner's Forum 2 03-31-2007 06:45 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.