RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 10:18 AM   #1

Air door seal

Have you had this issue? 2008 Essex.
No matter how hard I shut the door before airing up I always can hear air leaking while driving. Sometimes worse then others. Sounds like mostly coming from the bottom of the door. Picture attached show a split at the bottom of my door seal. Is this supposed to be there or is my seal torn open? Is this where the air seals the door?
If this is the problem how do I fix it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Vacationfools is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationfools View Post
Have you had this issue? 2008 Essex.
No matter how hard I shut the door before airing up I always can hear air leaking while driving. Sometimes worse then others. Sounds like mostly coming from the bottom of the door. Picture attached show a split at the bottom of my door seal. Is this supposed to be there or is my seal torn open? Is this where the air seals the door?
If this is the problem how do I fix it? Thanks for any help you can give.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	220386sorry forgot to attach picture.

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 AM   #3

Is the door actually latched on the 2nd latch? When closing the door (not slamming the door) you should hear 2 distinct clicks as it closes. The 1st click will hold the door in an "almost closed" position with a little slack. The 2nd click will be fully latched with no slack (door flush with body).

BTW, if you continue to slam the door you will eventually break the window seal and the window will fog.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Yes it is latched with two clicks.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Is the door actually latched on the 2nd latch? When closing the door (not slamming the door) you should hear 2 distinct clicks as it closes. The 1st click will hold the door in an "almost closed" position with a little slack. The 2nd click will be fully latched with no slack (door flush with body).

BTW, if you continue to slam the door you will eventually break the window seal and the window will fog.

Thanks for the heads up on slamming. Should have but didnít think about that. Does your rubber seal have a slit like mine?
Old 09-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up on slamming. Should have but didn’t think about that. Does your rubber seal have a slit like mine?

Where is that slit? (side/top/bottom/etc.) I'll have a look.

OK .... had a look. My pieces are seamless except in the corners and along the hinges. In other words, top is 1 piece, bottom is 1 piece, latch side is 1 piece.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #7

Does your door have the pneumatic powered latch on the top front of the door? It has a black roller-like on the end. You should hear it engage when you set your park brake. This device pulls and holds the door tightly while the park brake is off, for travel mode. If so, these get damaged or broken if the door is opened while the park brake is still engaged. The loss of this can contribute to wind whistler while under way.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Where is that slit? (side/top/bottom/etc.) I'll have a look.

OK .... had a look. My pieces are seamless except in the corners and along the hinges. In other words, top is 1 piece, bottom is 1 piece, latch side is 1 piece.

Yeah, as pictured my bottom piece is slit open. Is that rubber suppose to air up for the door to seal?
Old 09-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
Does your door have the pneumatic powered latch on the top front of the door? It has a black roller-like on the end. You should hear it engage when you set your park brake. This device pulls and holds the door tightly while the park brake is off, for travel mode. If so, these get damaged or broken if the door is opened while the park brake is still engaged. The loss of this can contribute to wind whistler while under way.
Yes, I do hear it engage. Iíll check my device and see what it looks like, thanks.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Yes, I do hear it engage. Iíll check my device and see what it looks like, thanks.

It is also adjustable to pull the door top tighter.
Old 09-24-2018, 02:23 PM   #11

Quote:

My 2005 "had" one .... it was removed/disabled as part of a Newmar door fix instruction sheet. I didn't own the coach when it was done so can't comment on how it worked. I have some very minor whistle at a certain speed but it's above my towing speed (65mph). I'm in and out all the time with engine running and parking brake set .... can't imagine not doing it.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
My 2005 "had" one .... it was removed/disabled as part of a Newmar door fix instruction sheet. I didn't own the coach when it was done so can't comment on how it worked. I have some very minor whistle at a certain speed but it's above my towing speed (65mph). I'm in and out all the time with engine running and parking brake set .... can't imagine not doing it.

I think lug_nut meant with parking brakes release , pushed in.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
I just had my door catch replaced while in Napanee. The operation of the door catch that the service tech explained to me was that there was a pneumatic slide that engages a catch on the door when the air brake is released and pulls the catch on the door to draw it in tight.

My catch was damaged and the tech told me that opening the door without the air brake engaged will damage the catch. He also replaced the solenoid that controls the slide too as they often weaken over time resulting in the slide not fully engaging.

2008 Newmar Essex
Cummins ISM 500
Allison 4000
Miked2145 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, door, seal