Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #15
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ed.....to ask you a silly question.....what makes you think it's accurate if it always returns to the same position? That's my argument. You can run a filter for 10 years and the gauge never changes!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2017, 03:50 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnegatepic View Post
This may be the wrong forum to ask this but I wonder how accurate the indicator for the air cleaner is? When I went to pick the new MH up the tech was showing me around the coach and when we go to the back he had to reset it and told me that they always trip and not to rely on it. Does anyone else see their tripped? I only have a 1,000 miles on it
Hello Nick, here is a thread you might be interested in reading:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/revi...nt-102149.html
Also, take a look at "Spike45" other posts in other threads.............
42 years in this business............
Old 03-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnegatepic View Post
This may be the wrong forum to ask this but I wonder how accurate the indicator for the air cleaner is? When I went to pick the new MH up the tech was showing me around the coach and when we go to the back he had to reset it and told me that they always trip and not to rely on it. Does anyone else see their tripped? I only have a 1,000 miles on it
I question how accurate the indicator is on my rig. Considering the fact I've not taken any extended trips on dirt roads, restricting my travels to the interstate and secondary roads, the indicator gets reset every time I check the oil and coolant and it always pops back to it's default level, which is indicating I need to change the air filter. Knowing that diesels need massive amounts of CLEAN AIR to operate efficiently, I've been changing my air filter annually. Peace of mind is worth the $115 for a new air filter from FILTERBARN.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #18

I think that some of you are missing the point the OP raised. He has a brand new coach with virtually no miles and already the vacuum gauge is hitting the end stop. So either he has a bad gauge or a dead Possum in his filter that is causing this problem. Whatever, he is under warranty and should get Freightliner to fix it. Saying these gauges are not accurate is not acceptable.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:01 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I think that some of you are missing the point the OP raised. He has a brand new coach with virtually no miles and already the vacuum gauge is hitting the end stop. So either he has a bad gauge or a dead Possum in his filter that is causing this problem. Whatever, he is under warranty and should get Freightliner to fix it. Saying these gauges are not accurate is not acceptable.
That's my whole point on why I was asking if its accurate or not. I am definitely going to have it checked either way for a piece of mind.
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 05:13 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have A 2017 DSDP 4369 freight liner chassis. At just over 3,000 miles I found my differential indicator pegged at the top. I found the end of my air cleaner cannister (end toward firewall) off laying in the engine compartment. The filter element was laying down on the duct to the turbo. Called freightliner and they documented with photo and replaced air cleaner cannister. I have never seen a failure like that and the freightliner manager had not either. I believe the cannister had exceeded it shelve life before the installation by freightliner, dry rotted and separated. Freightliner documented the case so any future turbo issues are covered under warrantee due to cannister failure. Another good reason two change every couple of years
wishalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So since it has been weighing on my mind I decided to take a look at this myself and I dropped the filter and did not see any wrong with the canister or any of the ducting. The only thing left now would be a faulty gauge?
barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If there had been something in the filter or housing, the coach would have displayed a loss of power.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:43 PM   #23

Dutch Star Don, that really wasn't a silly question. I am afraid I mislead you with my post. Over time, my gauge definitely goes up. But any point, to make sure that it isn't hung up, I'll reset it and see if it returns to the position it was just prior to my resetting it. The last time we went to Alaska (we have driven there 7 times) it took a big jump after navigating through a particularly rough and long construction zone. So I was convinced that it was doing something!!!

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 07:30 PM   #24

Having worked in mining (in dust conditions you can't imagine), don't trust those indicators. They LIE!! I've pulled filters on equipment with indicators reading 11-15 pounds, and pounded them against a tire, watching POUNDS of dust fall out. That fact that the engine even ran was amazing. If you run in very dusty (boondock areas), replace yearly. Otherwise follow recommended change periods. Just my experience-worth what it cost.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat