Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Air filter Restriction Indicator

This may be the wrong forum to ask this but I wonder how accurate the indicator for the air cleaner is? When I went to pick the new MH up the tech was showing me around the coach and when we go to the back he had to reset it and told me that they always trip and not to rely on it. Does anyone else see their tripped? I only have a 1,000 miles on it

barnegatepic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #2

I found my to be very inaccurate. I replaced my filter at 7,000 miles because it was over 3/4 yellow. Big mistake because it was reading the same again in 500 miles. I think the only accurate way to tell is pull the filter and see how dirty it is. What do you think?

Old 02-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

I assume you mean the reset button under the gauge. With a new filter the gauge should show a vacuum of around 11. When it gets clogged up it will climb to 25. But you will be changing your filter long before then due to age. It may make you happy when you reset it to 0 but it will jump to 11 as soon as you start the engine. Just ignore it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Check the indicator with engine running and after you have driven a fair amount that since last reset. Change the air filter about every three years.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
I assume you mean the reset button under the gauge. With a new filter the gauge should show a vacuum of around 11. When it gets clogged up it will climb to 25. But you will be changing your filter long before then due to age. It may make you happy when you reset it to 0 but it will jump to 11 as soon as you start the engine. Just ignore it.
I will have to check it while its running at idle but after I take it for a ride and check it the indicator hits the limit and needs to be reset. I am hoping the filter is brand new. The next question I would have is where and how do I get to the filter to check it?
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The only way to tell if your Filter-Minder is working correctly is to pull a vacuum on the device to see if it responds.

I have a Donaldson Air Filter Informer. The SOP is as follows; once the RED line gets to 19 inches reset it by pushing the button on top and once the RED line returns to 19 inches replace the air filter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Filter Minder-03.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	153403  
Old 02-28-2017, 02:01 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
The only way to tell if your Filter-Minder is working correctly is to pull a vacuum on the device to see if it responds.

I have a Donaldson Air Filter Informer. The SOP is as follows; once the RED line gets to 19 inches reset it by pushing the button on top and once the RED line returns to 19 inches replace the air filter.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
My stock one trips at 25. I have had the MH out twice and both times when parked I had to rest the indicator.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I'm a bit confused by the term "tripped?". I am fimilar with Resetting the Vacuum Gauge but I'm not fimilar with this gauge tripping.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Nick.....personally, I think the indicators are absolutely useless. They really don't give you any accurate information. You're better off to just follow a maintenance program. In my opinion, if you drive between 5K - 7K a year, replace every three years. If you drive more than that, replace every two years.

The three year suggestion that I made is to make sure your filter doesn't rot and fall apart (can happen if it gets wet). They actually have a shelf life and should not be bought and stored. Buy a new one when ready to replace. The two year suggestion is because of dirt build up if you drive a lot of miles. I change mine every two years because we do 10K a year. I can feel a performance increase when I replace mine.

Lastly, NEVER remove a diesel filter and shake or clean with compressed air. I believe yours has a metal canister that is disposable and you really can't inspect the air cleaner. A good rule.....don't remove the air cleaner, unless you intend to replace it.

On my Dutch Star, the air cleaner sits horizontally above the engine. It has a 90 degree turn on the end that bends down toward the turbo. Between the turbo and the air cleaner, there is a rubber boot, connecting the two. When I change mine, I first do a quick wash of the engine compartment to remove dirt and dust. I disconnect the rubber boot from the turbo, and remove the filter. I remove the boot from the filter and place it on the new filter. Here's why......when you look at the connection where the boot joins the filter to the turbo, you have the filter sliding into the rubber boot. It's very easy for the lip on the boot to collect dirt. The dirt can easily fall into the turbo while removing the air cleaner. The point where the boot connects to the turbo, the boot goes "over" the turbo and it's less likely you'll get dirt in the turbo when removing the air cleaner.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don thanks so much. What you say makes so much sense. I was just worried that something might have crawled in there causing a blockage which was the reason for concern.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:28 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danleininger View Post
I'm a bit confused by the term "tripped?". I am fimilar with Resetting the Vacuum Gauge but I'm not fimilar with this gauge tripping.
Sorry I mean that the gauge has to be reset as it has reached its max
Old 02-28-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnegatepic View Post
Sorry I mean that the gauge has to be reset as it has reached its max
Get to a Freightliner dealer and have this checked asap. If it has hit 25 that quickly something is wrong and you need to get it checked out. Resetting is not going to fix it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
Get to a Freightliner dealer and have this checked asap. If it has hit 25 that quickly something is wrong and you need to get it checked out. Resetting is not going to fix it.

Thanks. That's why I asked if those indicators were accurate
Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 PM   #14

We have driven diesel motorhomes for over 20 years, and a total of over 250,000 miles and I have found the indicator gauge to be a good indication of the status of the filter. We have never had it go to the top (25). I do occasionally "reset" the gauge by pressing the button on the bottom of the gauge. I do this just to make sure the gauge hasn't hung up. The first time I run the motorhome after resetting the gauge I check it again, and so far it has always returned to the same spot as before the "reset". I guess I have just been fortunate, as I have found it to be a very good indicator of the filter status.

Ed Headington

Tags
cat