Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #1

air fliter replacement

Has anyone replaced the air filter themselves versus having a dealer do this service?
If so would you have the part number that you used to replace the existing?
gamechanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Not sure what type of engine air filter you have or where it is located.
Mine is accessed from under the bed. and is not difficult to change. Your may be different. Information that came with the coach should give details. replacements are generally available from a number of brands.
You do need to take care not to introduce dirt or dust into the system while changing it.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi gamechanger,
Unless you are driving 20K miles a year and have significant dust driving conditions the air filter should last 3 years. Replace every 3 years because the element can deteriorate and get sucked into the turbo.

As to which filter is needed, I took my filter out and got the part number off the filter. Some are accessed via the rear engine compartment, the rear inside of the coach or both (like mine, ugh).
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamechanger View Post
Has anyone replaced the air filter themselves versus having a dealer do this service?
If so would you have the part number that you used to replace the existing?
Try calling Spartan or Frieghtliner depending on which chassis you have and ask for the Farr Ecolite Filter Number. These filters are a one piece canister that is replaced as an assembly. If you are mechanically inclined, there is no reason why you cannot change the filter yourself. Just be sure to blow the connections and area around the filter clean before you take it apart to make sure you don't drop any debris into the intake during the change.
New filter can be sourced on Amazon or EBay and other sources. One way to determine the part number is to measure the inlet and outlet, diameter and length of the canister and go by the attached Donaldson/Ecolite cross reference.

https://www.donaldson.com/en/engine/...ary/000622.pdf
Old 08-04-2015, 06:34 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Changed mine in about 30 minutes a couple of weeks ago. I called Freightliner, they will want your last six of VIN. to identify proper filter for your coach. Filter with shipping was $132.00.

In the middle of filter housing there are two thumb release clamps to loosen. You will also have two rubber/plastic sleeves with clamps to unloosen on each end of filter as well, then you must pry the sleeves to break the seal to get filter out. (I just used a flat tip screw driver). Only caution I received from freightliner is make every effort to minimize any dirt or dust while working. You do not want any dirt/dust going in turbo charger.

Two to three years for air filter is recommended. After three years regardless of use, replace due to there is risk of filter deteriorating and going in the turbo charger. I have the 450 ISL, I believe you have the same. Project was very easy.

Air Filter Part Number: FAR 62891-001
Old 08-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm going to jump in with a little different opinion on a couple of things.

First, the part number that "Sidewinder4" gave for his 2012 is the same number for the 2014 Dutch Star. As described, the air cleaner is removed by disconnecting the rubber boots on both ends, releasing the hold down straps and removing. All of the connections should be thoroughly cleaned before starting removal. Here is where I do it a little differently. The rubber boot that attaches the air cleaner to the engine should not be removed at the air cleaner, but at the engine. The boot is vertically installed and the lip of the air cleaner element slides down into the boot. This leaves an area where dirt can collect on the lip of the boot. As soon as you pull the air cleaner out of the boot, you take a chance that dirt can fall into the engine from the edge of the boot.

The better method is to leave the boot attached to the air cleaner and disconnect the boot from the engine. There is less chance dirt will fall into the engine. Once you get the boot off, put a clean towel over the engine opening while reinstalling the boots on the new air cleaner. This isn't a difficult task, just adds one more step with the boot installation on the air cleaner.

The second area I disagree with is when these should be changed. I think the air minder gauges are really a joke and don't show any changes until the air cleaner is just about plugged. Many people run their air cleaners from 1-5 years before replacement. My previous coach had a Donaldson air cleaner which has a permanent housing and only the element was disposable. I like this system better because there was little chance of getting dirt into the engine when changing filters. The elements were also half the price. By just taking the removable end cap off of the Donaldson housing, you could look in and see the condition of the filter.

With that said, I don't believe it's a good idea to run the disposable housing filters, like the ones on the Dutch Star (Far Ecolite) air cleaners longer than two years. I got fanged for making this statement in the past, but was vindicated when a poster lost his turbo when his FAR Ecolite air cleaner ingested water and eventually deteriorated without him knowing. He would have been fine if had changed at two years.

The time/mileage table that people use to change their air cleaners is a personal and even a financial choice at $150.00 a whack. We're putting on about a thousand miles a month on average. I run my air cleaners 15-18 months and then change them. Again, a personal choice, but I want to protect the engine and get the best performance I can.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #7

Don, I agree fully with your timing to replace these. I carried a spare on our AK trip and on the way back, my fuel mileage dropped to around 6.5 from my normal 8.5 and a noticeable reduction in power. The filter minder was still in the yellow zone but changing the filter got my mileage and HP back to normal.
Running on paved roads, I don't think I would plug my filter in two years but would rather not take a chance of it coming apart.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I am hesitant to post this but while at international this past month air filters was a topic that was hotly debated. Spartan and cummins both state one year is the time span one should follow. Their reasoning is that the filters only have a two year shelf life and that because of the paper used will degrade when wet and it is not worth the possible 15 to 20 thousand dollar cost of a turbo should a piece of paper is ingested. Most people as well as me typically used a 3 year change. Just something to think about
Old 08-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Just a side note.....On the Far Ecolite filter that is used on the Dutch Star, you can pull the back rubber hose off and look into the filter where the air enters. It will give you an idea of what condition the material is in and how dirty it is.

I use to change my Diplomat filter every year when I did my servicing. The Dutch Star filter is three times more expensive and more of a pain to do. If we go over 15K in a year, I will change it out at the year mark, but were doing more like 15K every 18 months.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane View Post
I am hesitant to post this
Should not be hesitant; it is another data point for consideration. All’s we have to go on to be a responsible RV'er is manufactures (RV builders and chassis) recommendations. RV'ers with experience, and technical updates from conversation you were involved with are helpful. I will admit that I am not quick to jump on new information sometimes, and if I took every opinion posted on the great forum I would be bankrupt. So I will keep this in amber in my maintenance records. (amber means to keep a watchful eye for more information). I will say Freightliner help line stated: "3 years" just less than a month ago. The critical thing is the discussion and shared information so we all can make an informed decision about are coaches. So far I have heard of one coach that had a problem. Again thank you for your posting! I have learned you have to have thick skin to post information sometimes.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I had a tough time figuring out the number for our filter. The label on the one on it when we purchased the MH was illegible. After a lot of research online I came up with FAR 094973 007 for our Cummins ISC 350. However they may be different for other chassis manufacturers. $105 from my buddy that is a parts guy at a large diesel repair shop. I threw in the 30 pack of beer.

Since your MH is so new I would try to read the number off the filter then if not buying the same brand just cross reference it.

I also think that yearly is overkill unless you put on lots of miles or drive in dusty type conditions.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement