Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

Air Force one puzzle

I am hoping someone can provide some insight. Just had system moved over to my new tow vehicle (2018 Ford Flex). Worked great for a couple days ago. Been driving Flex around town with no issues. Today when we tried to drive it, I believe Air Force One engaged brakes on Flex because we could hardy move it. Also noticed brake lights on Flex did not go off. I have a quick disconnect on a Flex battery so when I disconnected battery brake lights went off. Breakaway pin is not out of place. Took it out and put it back in.
I haven’t tried starting Flex and then disconnect battery to see if brakes release. Anyone have this happen before and what it could be. I also have a auxiliary battery that is used to power Air Force One should car become disconnected from coach.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have an AF1 and have used it for years. First thing I would do is check the cable between firewall and Brake pedal that pull brakes down when AF1 is engaged. Is there a chance you have adjustable pedals in your Ford Flex? If so, quite possible it was installed with pedal for a tall person and someone adjusted pedal for a short person and it is pulling the pedal down via the cable. If that is the issue, it is a simple fix.. just loosen the cable, adjust the pedals out, re-tighten the cable. BTW, I don't know what you mean by an aux battery to power the AF1 should you get disconnected. AF1 does not require that. I'm not an expert by any means, but feel free to PM me on this if you like. The current owners of AF1 do not provide good support.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoyrv View Post
I am hoping someone can provide some insight. Just had system moved over to my new tow vehicle (2018 Ford Flex). Worked great for a couple days ago. Been driving Flex around town with no issues. Today when we tried to drive it, I believe Air Force One engaged brakes on Flex because we could hardy move it. Also noticed brake lights on Flex did not go off. I have a quick disconnect on a Flex battery so when I disconnected battery brake lights went off. Breakaway pin is not out of place. Took it out and put it back in.
I haven’t tried starting Flex and then disconnect battery to see if brakes release. Anyone have this happen before and what it could be. I also have a auxiliary battery that is used to power Air Force One should car become disconnected from coach.
Why do you need an auxiliary battery. The vehicle battery will power the AF1 just fine. All the power you need is to open a solenoid valve that sets the brakes in case of a breakaway.
If the AF1 is the culprit either that solenoid is getting power or is stuck open. Reach under the dash and fell the cable coming off the small air cylinder attached to the brake pedal. It should be slightly loose.
If you have adjustable brake pedals they should be run all the way out before hooking up the small cylinder and cable. If you hook it up with the pedals run in and someone runs them out it will pull the pedal down and set the brakes.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"enjoyrv".....When you pull that plastic pin in the grille, it makes your brakes in the Flex apply and will turn on the brake lights. In the event of a breakaway, the pin is pulled and the brakes apply. You said that you moved the system to your new tow vehicle, which means you must have had it installed in another and the system is a few years old. The mechanical/electrical switch in your grille can go bad. I had the same thing happen once in my truck, when we stopped to take a picture while sightseeing.

That switch is powered by your battery. Your problem.....the switch in the grille needs to be replaced or cleaned. As a safety measure, since that switch is powered by your battery, is to add a removeable fuse to the battery wire going to the switch. This way, in an emergency, you can kill the power to that switch and make the car drivable.

Call Demco on Monday and ask them how to clean that switch. They may recommend a spray cleaner or send you a new one. (712) 735-2311
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #5

Air Force one puzzle

You guys are great. Thanks for reply. My wife drove it for the first time today since Air Force One was installed. Brake Pedal was all the way in when Air Force One was set up which is how I drive. My wife being a shorter person extended adjustable pedals out which caused brakes to activate. Put pedals in and everything is fine. Thinking that I may adjust cable to her pedal position so that when I drive it will not activate. When towing, I’d have to remember to extend pedals to her position.
Now for the auxiliary battery. First vehicle I’ve owned where battery has to be disconnected per owners manual. Shop that did install thought power was needed to activate Air Force one if power from coach was disconnected in a total breakaway from the coach . Maybe overkill. About a $20 expense. Small battery. Also has charge line from coach to both batteries. Happy camper now.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Rich, to keep from accidentally burning up the brakes, you should adjust the AF1 brake cable with the pedals all the way out, not to anyone's position. You don't want to forget and burn up the brakes. This way, all you do is set the pedals all the way out before towing, if you forget, no damage, just less brake activation.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #7

Great idea Don. Thank you so much.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:01 PM   #8

Step 6 of the Air Force One installation instructions say exactly as Dutch Star Don stated. Guess it would help to read them.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
May not be the air force 1 . Check the brake switch on the Flex. We have a Flex and it would not go out of third gear and I noticed the brake lights were on. The computer thinks the brakes are applied and the traction control is being activated. Seems to be a common issue and Orileys had the switch in stock.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:45 PM   #10

On my 2013 flex I manually shut off all drive assist before towing( adaptive cruise, collision avoidance, blind spot etc) , over kill I’m sure. I don’t have a battery disconnect, just a 12v ( with diode)from the RV to charge toad battery. I have invisibrake ( different I know) and there was a problem with feedback over the umbilical socket on the toad. Crc electric cleaner solved that problem.

Tags
air