Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #15

$1000

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We have the Blue Ox Patriot. Very easy to install. Takes only a few minutes and you are ready to go. There is no drain on the toad battery. Very light weight, easy to handle. Fits on any toad, no modifications required. Truly a "Plug and Go". We made the right choice for our situation.
Safe travels.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #17
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loozycat View Post
We have the Blue Ox Patriot. Very easy to install. Takes only a few minutes and you are ready to go. There is no drain on the toad battery. Very light weight, easy to handle. Fits on any toad, no modifications required. Truly a "Plug and Go". We made the right choice for our situation.
Safe travels.
My problem with a brake-in-the-box is the repeated setup and take down process especially if there's any type of weather occurring at that time. SMI's solution incorporates the brake into the vehicle and it is always out of sight and mind until you plug in the umbilical cord. Once enabled, the system performs excellently whether one opts for the Air Force 1 or the Duo . SMI applies the brake under an operating vacuum in the booster and only requires normal braking pressure applied to the pedal as anyone would normally do while driving the vehicle.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #18
KJB

I bought the Blue Ox Patriot braking system when we bought our new 2011 Class A. We have since sold the Class A but I still have the Patriot and plan to use it with our next new RV, however, I am always open to what is “new and improved” on the market. The only problem I had with the Patriot was adjusting the power driver’s seat to apply the proper amount of pressure from the unit to the brake pedal. The Patriot will give you an error message if the pedal pressure is not correct. I solved that issue by placing a piece of tape on the bottom left portion of the seat and another piece of tape on the floor panel adjacent to the seat. I put 3 alignment marks on each piece of tape. I install the Patriot and adjust the seat by lining up the 3 marks on both pieces of tape and now the Patriot is properly positioned every time on the first try. Simple fix for a simple minded guy like me. So my only experience is with the Patriot and I don’t have anything bad to say about it.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
$1000
Is that for labor? Most shops charge over $100 per hour. I paid over that just for the AF1 system in the box.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
I too have the Patriot and would buy it again for the following reasons.
1. Non-invasive to the RV air line
2. No compressor to drag down the battery
3. I don't want or need a braking system constantly engaging the toad brakes.
I set the braking sensitivity low and use it for break away or I have the
Capability to manually engage it from the cockpit if needed.
4. Portability. I can change to another toad easily.
5. It's just as easy to set-up as the RVI.

I've owned the Patriot for 2 years and it is trouble free.
MoBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post
Is that for labor? Most shops charge over $100 per hour. I paid over that just for the AF1 system in the box.

C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Baron View Post

Tomorrow, I'm taking the CRV for the braking system install. Parts alone with discount should cost about 2400 to 2500. And you still need to add labor on top of that. Don't forget the tax.

Blue Ox baseplate & wiring for rear lights.
Aventa tow bar.
SMI AFO.
Labor.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #23

I had the Blue Ox brake when it first came out. Blue Ox wanted to upgrade it for a recall so I sent it back to them. When I got it back, it never worked right again. Despite numerous calls and "solutions and being returned to the factory 2 more times, the piece of crap failed in Montana when we were on the way to Alaska. I threw it in the back and went north anyway. I put an AF 1 in while in a CG in Valdez and have been using it since. The coach part is on it's third coach and the toad part on it's second toad. I'll never use anything else. I've switched these systems out in dealers parking lots and CG's in Tucson and at home. Not a terribly long or hard job and except for having to fabricate a couple of brackets to make plug mounts a bit easier, it was basically a zip tie installation.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #24

I'm in Vancouver area. I paid about $3000: that included all the equipment installed on my Jeep and motorhome, a 3500# towing assembly for the jeep, and all the wiring for towing and being towed. As I said I am quit happy with the system.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #25

When I refer to the system I mean the Blue-ox towbar and the Airforce braking system.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM   #26

Air force 1 is great have had it for 5 years now with no prblems.