Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Air Force One vs. Play n Stay Duo

Hi,
While we wait for our 2017 DSDP 4018 to roll down the assembly line at Newmar We decided to change our dingy also... So we got a 2016 GMC Canyon 4 x4.

Last week we dropped our truck to have the Blue Ox Avail tow bar system installed and decided on the Air Force One braking system to be installed.

Problem: After picking up the truck we noted that the Stay/Play duo was installed on the truck instead of the Air Force.

Needless to say I was not happy. Can those on the forum that have these two braking systems tell me the difference?

I have read on the motorhome magazine dinghy guide that the Air force one is for a diesel with airbrakes, and the Stay/Play is for gas motorhomes.

However, The Dutch star is on the FL chassis which says airbrakes in the front and drum brakes in the back

I'm confused, should I have the Stay/Play duo taken out and Air Force put in as we wanted... Or leave it? What's the difference between the 2 braking systems?

We wanted the Air Force, but don't want the have them removing the front end again and drilling different holes in a new vehicle...how complicated is it to change out the system?

Also, do I need a battery disconnect switch installed. We asked for it, and was told it's not needed cause Stay/Play brake system recharges the battery....however the dingy guide states to put a battery disconnect switch on all GMC trucks.

Thanks all for the input,
Ed & Doreen

2017 DSDP 4018 on order
2011 Phaeton 40qbh traded!
Bowl300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I am pretty sure you need the AirForce One system installed - I know I have it on our 2016 DSDP and Jeep GC. I believe the STay/Play is for non air-brake vehicles.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowl300 View Post
Hi,
While we wait for our 2017 DSDP 4018 to roll down the assembly line at Newmar We decided to change our dingy also... So we got a 2016 GMC Canyon 4 x4.

Last week we dropped our truck to have the Blue Ox Avail tow bar system installed and decided on the Air Force One braking system to be installed.

Problem: After picking up the truck we noted that the Stay/Play duo was installed on the truck instead of the Air Force.

Needless to say I was not happy. Can those on the forum that have these two braking systems tell me the difference?

I have read on the motorhome magazine dinghy guide that the Air force one is for a diesel with airbrakes, and the Stay/Play is for gas motorhomes.

However, The Dutch star is on the FL chassis which says airbrakes in the front and drum brakes in the back

I'm confused, should I have the Stay/Play duo taken out and Air Force put in as we wanted... Or leave it? What's the difference between the 2 braking systems?

We wanted the Air Force, but don't want the have them removing the front end again and drilling different holes in a new vehicle...how complicated is it to change out the system?

Also, do I need a battery disconnect switch installed. We asked for it, and was told it's not needed cause Stay/Play brake system recharges the battery....however the dingy guide states to put a battery disconnect switch on all GMC trucks.

Thanks all for the input,
Ed & Doreen

2017 DSDP 4018 on order
2011 Phaeton 40qbh traded!
You need the Air Force One.

You have air brakes on all your wheels. The rears are drum and the front may have disc or drums, I can't answer that. But all are air operated.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a Dutch Star on order as well and our current coach is a diesel with air brakes (Tiffin Allegro Red). We have the stay-n-play duo installed in our Jeep Grand Cherokee and it has worked without any issues for the past 2 years since we installed it (over 15,000 miles towing). As far as I know Air Force 1 will only work in diesel coaches with air brakes, however the stay-n-play duo will work in both gas or diesel with air brakes. We do not plan on making any changes to our current setup once our new Dutch Star comes in.
Previous: 2010 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
fsudelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
What did SMI say?

bonzocfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #6

Can't say why they didn't put in what you asked for but I have a Stay N Play in my Element and it works awesome, I added my own battery minder to keep the toad's battery charged though there wasn't one as part of the Stay N Play
Old 10-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Can't say why they didn't put in what you asked for but I have a Stay N Play in my Element and it works awesome, I added my own battery minder to keep the toad's battery charged though there wasn't one as part of the Stay N Play
+1

I also do have a battery minder installed to keep battery charged. Done 10-12 hour days towing with no issues. As I noted above we have used this setup for the last 2 years and 15,000 miles and it was worked great and is very easy.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:34 PM   #8

I would not be a happy camper! It would have to be Air Force One. The other does not work well when the axillary braking system is deployed. Only if you run relatively on flat geographic terrain and even then, the toad's brake linings will suffer over time. The Air Force One is far superior in the DP application
Old 10-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzocfi View Post
What did SMI say?
Agree. Call SMI to be sure.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug_Nut View Post
I would not be a happy camper! It would have to be Air Force One. The other does not work well when the axillary braking system is deployed. Only if you run relatively on flat geographic terrain and even then, the toad's brake linings will suffer over time. The Air Force One is far superior in the DP application
Can you explain this further, in regards to the brake linings suffering? So far ours has worked well, but your making me 2nd guess I have the wrong system. We went with stay-n-play duo as I found someone local that sold it (less than 1 year old) to us for a price I couldn't turn down.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsudelt View Post
Can you explain this further, in regards to the brake linings suffering? So far ours has worked well, but your making me 2nd guess I have the wrong system. We went with stay-n-play duo as I found someone local that sold it (less than 1 year old) to us for a price I couldn't turn down.
The Air Force One activates the brakes only when the coach air brakes are applied. Perfect! That's the only time you want it intervening.

The stay-n-play duo is activated in one of two ways. By the coach brake lights activating. This requires the deactivation of the auxiliary brakes activating the brake lights, a safety feature that I find desirable. The other way is an adjustable inertia switch. This must be adjusted so high it will probably only work in a panic stop. Otherwise the Jake (Or exhaust) brake will cause it to deploy. Even when set extremely high, there are incidences that will trigger it, example Jake employs at the same moment of transmission shift. Any of the fore mentioned will cause excessive brake wear and possibly overheated brake damage.

I'm sorry, but the Air Force One set up is, as I said, is far superior in a DP application.

Peter
Old 10-03-2016, 03:36 PM   #12

Quote: "We wanted the Air Force, but don't want the have them removing the front end again and drilling different holes in a new vehicle...how complicated is it to change out the system?"

Replacing the system with Air Force One is not a big job at all. No front end work or any extra holes are needed. The module under the hood is the same size and mounts the same. The actuator that controls your toad brake is identical and can probably just remain. The whole job is quick and easy.

Peter