Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #1

Air Horns - 2004 Mountain Aire gas

My MH has an original equipment Air Horn option - they haven't worked since I've owned it.
Since its a gas unit the Air Horns are not actually air horns, but rather a pair of nice looking 12V horns mounted on the roof to look like air horns. They are completely electric.
There is an air horn switch on the dash which presumably activates them when the switch is on and the horn button pushed. I have checked the system for fuses etc and all the fuses are good. There is a relay under the dash located with all the other relays/fuses etc marked Air Horns. When i activate the switch and the horn button, the air horn relay clicks, the wire that is marked air horns gets power - but i get no sound from the horns and in fact there is no power at the horns.
I can't trace it beyond the air horn wire under the dash, which disappears in a bundle going to the roof up the drivers side A pillar. Testing on the roof sees no power.
Anybody else have this option? Does it work?
Any ideas to get them working?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say there is no power at the horns. I assume you had an assistant checking with a meter while someone pushed the steering wheel horn button. Maybe verify by running a wire from the chassis battery by the radiator up to the horn and touch the terminals. At least then you know if you have a good horn or need to purchase a new set.

I can't help with tracing the wire other than removing all the calk where they go through the roof and then start pulling them while you have someone inside looking under the front cap. They could run down the A pillar, so you could pop that off and look.

I replaced mine last fall with Vixens.
CaptainJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not sure I gave you this before but will cover pretty much what you have in your coach such as fusing, wiring, AC's and many other things you will need.
Information on slides,jacks,AC's found in QT's 1 & 2, in fact all links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

I did have an assistant to check power at the horns - no power. Also checked to see that the problem was not in the ground circuit.
I did take the A-pillar off and in fact there is a huge bundle of wires going up there, although i didn't take the bundle apart to look for the horn wires.
I will get back up there and pull the wires coming out of the roof to see if i can find the issue and also pull the A-pillar again and check that the horn wires are there and determine whether there is power at that point.
Your suggestion to just put a set of air horns under the hood is something i have already thought of and might pursue.
On a slightly different note, i was impressed to see that most of the wires in the harness are actually printed on - not just the air horns, but most/all of the wires in the harness have their purpose printed on them. Never saw this before.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you pull the panel off back of upper cabinet over your drivers head you will run into this.

Is access to overhead blowers and wiring for speakers, running lights, ant's and other wiring on roof the fuse panels should indicate what fuses they are onder panel on top of your dash and fuse if bad will have red indicator lit.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #6

Thanks 007. I recognize the cabinet - been there.
I'll spend some more time on it this weekend and let you know how i make out.

Tags
air, gas