Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 06:50 AM   #15
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WYRon View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but my understanding from Freightliner class in Gaffney is that we have the first (non-automatic) type Twinboat shows, which is consistent with what I saw in terms of lanyard and valve underneath my coach. There could be, and probably is, some difference in model years, and certainly Freightliner vs Spartan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
You have an air dryer that has an automatic purge valve so that moisture trapped by the dryer is ejected. But the tanks have a manual drain valve operated by the lanyard. As long as the air dryer is maintained correctly you should never see moisture from the tank drains.

Thanks Wyron and Algoma!

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
Ron,

I sat down the row from you at the Freightliner class and agree with what you said we were told but I have not pulled the cables from the purge valve yet so I don't know if I will have a re-seating problem. However, did you have Freightliner take a look at yours and if so, what did they do to re-seat the valves?

Sometimes I wonder if there is a communication issue between what the customer is told in these classes and what the techs do. The instructor also said to always remove the fuel cap before removing the fuel filter or fuel will run out. I asked the tech who was servicing our coach and he said to never remove the cap as it will cause a siphon and fuel will go everywhere.
The issue with the fuel filter depends on which chassis you have. On the side radiator chassis the fuel filters are at the back and above the fuel tank so loosening the fuel cap prevents pressure in the fuel line from forcing some fuel out, but it is not much. On the rear radiator chassis, the fuel filters are low down on the transmission and below the fuel tank so fuel will pour out regardless of whether you loosen the cap or not. Before changing mine I run the tank as low as possible and then raise the rear of the coach to get the filters as high as I can.
I asked Freightliner why they put the filters there and not higher up and was told that is what they have always done and don't intend to change it.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
Ron,

I sat down the row from you at the Freightliner class and agree with what you said we were told but I have not pulled the cables from the purge valve yet so I don't know if I will have a re-seating problem. However, did you have Freightliner take a look at yours and if so, what did they do to re-seat the valves?

Sometimes I wonder if there is a communication issue between what the customer is told in these classes and what the techs do. The instructor also said to always remove the fuel cap before removing the fuel filter or fuel will run out. I asked the tech who was servicing our coach and he said to never remove the cap as it will cause a siphon and fuel will go everywhere.
Hi Steve,

The problem wasn't the valves but the lanyards binding, so Freightliner rerouted all the cables. Yes, I'm finding some disconnect between various parts of Freightliner, but at least we know some of the questions to ask.
WYRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #18

Air lanyards...a cautionary note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algoma View Post
The issue with the fuel filter depends on which chassis you have. On the side radiator chassis the fuel filters are at the back and above the fuel tank so loosening the fuel cap prevents pressure in the fuel line from forcing some fuel out, but it is not much. On the rear radiator chassis, the fuel filters are low down on the transmission and below the fuel tank so fuel will pour out regardless of whether you loosen the cap or not. Before changing mine I run the tank as low as possible and then raise the rear of the coach to get the filters as high as I can.
I asked Freightliner why they put the filters there and not higher up and was told that is what they have always done and don't intend to change it.

On my DP the breather tube precludes any need to loosen the cap. Has that design changed?

After my first experience with a fuel filter change, the tech was literally soaked in diesel, I replaced the first filter with a top loading model. Now I turn the key to Start (engine off) to run the lift pump as I crack the filter cover to have air run in instead of diesel run out. Rarely spill a drop.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #19

I see you have indicated that you have an 'all-electric'. We are considering getting a new coach - a Dutch Star 4018. I would like to get rid of the LP, but have questions about the 'all-electric' that maybe you would be so kind as to answer for me? First, do you have a residential fridge and how do you keep it operating when on the road? If temps fall below the 37 degree level and the heat pumps won't work how do you get heat. We are just starting our evaluation so all the pros and cons you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckels11 View Post
I see you have indicated that you have an 'all-electric'. We are considering getting a new coach - a Dutch Star 4018. I would like to get rid of the LP, but have questions about the 'all-electric' that maybe you would be so kind as to answer for me? First, do you have a residential fridge and how do you keep it operating when on the road? If temps fall below the 37 degree level and the heat pumps won't work how do you get heat. We are just starting our evaluation so all the pros and cons you can provide would be much appreciated. Thanks.
A few thoughts on your questions...

1. All-Electric coaches will have residential refers, induction top cooking and hydro hot (Oasis brand in Newmar) heating systems for colder temps. Hydro hot system can use electricity and/or diesel fuel when on shore/generator power. They also can run totally on diesel if needed. From what I have read, diesel gives you the most (endless?) instant hot water under heavy demand. I think the use of diesel applies to use of hydro hot in very cold temps to some extent.

2. Running a refer on the road is not any issue at all. The generator charges the batteries that your inverter would use to keep the refer running. Of course, if you are running the generator for air conditioning that also does the same.

Some folks think the maintenance on hydro hot systems is not big deal but it is something that is different from traditional hot water heaters. If it is working properly most everyone I've ever read about and talked with love it.

Hope that helps.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

2. Running a refer on the road is not any issue at all. The generator charges the batteries that your inverter would use to keep the refer running. Of course, if you are running the generator for air conditioning that also does the same.

S
The alternator on the engine will be charging the batteries. In our case, 8 house batteries and 2 chassis batteries.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

S
The alternator on the engine will be charging the batteries while you are driving. In our case, 8 house batteries and 2 chassis batteries. If you have the genset on, then that will be providing 120v to the AC units as well as the residential refer.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
The alternator on the engine will be charging the batteries while you are driving. ...
Ya...that is what I meant and I know the difference!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Air lanyards, fuel filters, residential refers............... Next subject should be a new post just saying.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
you are actually testing that the auto purge is working. If you get water, then you know there is a problem with auto purge.
yepppppppers
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #26

Thanks to all who responded to my questions regarding the 'all-electric' coach. We've got a lot to evaluate, but your info is much appreciated.
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote