Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2014, 06:58 PM   #1

Air leak?

I have '99 DSDP M3858 on Spartan chassis. It appears I have an air leak in the rear bags, or in the unit that supplies air to the rear of the coach. The rear of the unit 'deflates' fairly quickly once the rig is shut off (evenly deflating on both sides). Before I take it to the shop I thought I'd post to the group in case anyone can provide insight that might lead to a self, and hopefully inexpensive, fix. Any feedback is appreciated.
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #2

Lots of possibilities. Could be a bag, ride height valve, dump valve, line, fitting, etc.. No way to know without getting underneath and listening for the leak. If it's leaking down that fast it should be easy to hear. It's normal that both bags would leak down evenly even if only one bag was leaking. There both feed from the same tank so the pressure stays the same in both bags.
Rotten-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #3
KIX

You can hook an air compressor up to the coach air system to provide pressure to check for leaks. It's hard to find air leaks while the engine is running. Mix up some liquid soap and water in a spray bottle and start looking for bubbles. YOu may find more than one leak. Just start at the bags and follow the air lines.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum and irv2.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
Down below are three links in my signature that will provide info on your Newmar.
Enjoy the forums and safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:48 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
Spray soapy water, where it bubbles...
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscott View Post
I have '99 DSDP M3858 on Spartan chassis. It appears I have an air leak in the rear bags, or in the unit that supplies air to the rear of the coach. The rear of the unit 'deflates' fairly quickly once the rig is shut off (evenly deflating on both sides). Before I take it to the shop I thought I'd post to the group in case anyone can provide insight that might lead to a self, and hopefully inexpensive, fix. Any feedback is appreciated.
I replaced ride height valve on the rear because of air leak. The front bags were going down. I know it does not make sense that the front went down but it did according to Spartan the front bags have higher pressure. The valve was app $80 from Spartan.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Thanks all, for the advice. I can't get to it until next weekend, but will provide an update as soon as I have one.
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak