Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #225
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Bill and Lisa:

Thanks for taking us along on your Alaska trip via your forum posts. The photos were outstanding and the narrative was informative. We also enjoyed our visit with you at Polson as you were starting your trip. When we meet again, dinner is on us. If you are still anywhere near Montana on the Labor Day weekend, we'll be in Polson. Stop by.

Thanks, again, for the great virtual trip!

TJ & Lady Di
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #226

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Bill and Lisa:

Thanks for taking us along on your Alaska trip via your forum posts. The photos were outstanding and the narrative was informative. We also enjoyed our visit with you at Polson as you were starting your trip. When we meet again, dinner is on us. If you are still anywhere near Montana on the Labor Day weekend, we'll be in Polson. Stop by.

Thanks, again, for the great virtual trip!

TJ & Lady Di
We are stopping there on our return to lower 48 on Sunday. Coach needs a good wash & wax😀 and we need some Resort life to recuperate.

We will be in Salt Lake for Labor Day, then flying to NY for sons wedding. May see you there next spring, thanks for the kind words.
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #227
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
We are stopping there on our return to lower 48 on Sunday. Coach needs a good wash & wax😀 and we need some Resort life to recuperate.

We will be in Salt Lake for Labor Day, then flying to NY for sons wedding. May see you there next spring, thanks for the kind words.
I wish we could be there! We have a granddaughter getting married in Washington state this coming weekend, so aren't traveling right now. Enjoy your stay and hope to see you next spring.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:05 PM   #228

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Tesoro gas stations generally have dump, water and propane. The many we have been to are well organized with plenty of space for rigs to move around. Generally it is dump, fill with water, propane is next and then swing around for gas/diesel. We really like them.

Tesoro in Tok, Ak has FREE! dump, water, and Free Wash with fill up and the cheapest price in town!! Trust me you will need the Wash!!
Old 08-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #229

Thank you for the excellent trip posts,and pictures. You mentioned sights we had missed which I have made note of so we can check them out in a couple of years. Safe travels!
Irene Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWIP View Post
I know several folks are going to Alaska this year and NKK has Caravan with preplanned route this year. I thought it may be of interest to some that have not done this trip about places to stay and services along the way. I thought I would post as we make our way thru Canada and the Yukon.

We crossed Canadian border last week on HWY 93, crossing border at Roosville. Border crossing was uneventful, took about an hour. I did have rifles with me and paperwork filled out prior to arrival, this wasn’t an issue but they did request slides to be opened and did a respectful search. We did have plenty of beer in cooler, meats in freezer, and vegetables in refrigerator nothing was ever questioned.

Stayed in Cowley, Alberta at friends Friday-Tuesday with gorgeous views of mountains. Highway 3 thru mountains was easy drive. I would recommend stopping to see Franks Slide if in the area, this was a huge rock slide that occurred in 1903.

We stopped in Red Deer, Alberta last night staying at RV THERE YET, (picture included) which is nothing special. DirecTv still works, AT&T and Verizon 2 bars, 50 amp, WiFi at park ok It was a mile drive on dirt road to get here from highway.

I will not be as long winded in future post and continue to update if there seems to be an interest.
Bill thanks again for your travel log and blog! I and I'm sure many others will be using it as a guide for planning an Alaska trip. I have thought about it for years - but kept deciding it was too long, too expensive and would I really enjoy it that much. I have never been a true "camper" - I have always been a motorhome - by that I mean I go to national parks, cities, beaches, etc. but I don't stay along time, I don't sit outside and build campfires. But I think I am ready to do more of that as I go into full retirement/re travel mode. So, I have one question left for you regarding going to Alaska. I tow a Honda CRV - front wheel drive vehicle. It has been a good toad and I only have 60K miles on it and it has been towed another 15K. Everything is in relatively good shape - if I go to Alaska, I want to see and do as much as possible - I assume that I will be doing a lot of traveling and sightseeing on back roads and some very poor roads. So, would you switch the toad for a 4 wheel drive for this trip - or do you think my CRV will get the job done ok for me? My CRV is a 2014 and I can probably get several more years out of it - but it also still have a strong resale value. My long range plan is too motorhome for approximately 7 more years. So, I can justify going ahead and switching to a 4 wheel drive and keep it for 7 years. Looking forward to hearing your opinion and others who may read this. I plan to do a lot more National Parks and more rugged touring with my coach in the future. Thanks in advance for your opinion and others as well!
Gamaliel Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:46 AM   #231

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mickey

You will enjoy Alaska and the degree of adventure is up you. The choice on toad is strictly a personal one and your CRV can continue to serve you well. During our travels to and thru Alaska we did many side trips exploring old mine areas which required travel on gravel/dirt roads. There were times we decided we had ventured far even although not at our destination, this was more that we were getting to far off the gird should we get a flat or something.

I wanted 4x4 when selecting toad and chose Colorado knowing I would have extra storage space when we went full time. I have been pleased with the choice we made and would go the same if I decide to replace.

Good luck in your decision and upcoming retirement
NWIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamaliel Kid View Post
So, I have one question left for you regarding going to Alaska. I tow a Honda CRV - front wheel drive vehicle. It has been a good toad and I only have 60K miles on it and it has been towed another 15K. Everything is in relatively good shape - if I go to Alaska, I want to see and do as much as possible - I assume that I will be doing a lot of traveling and sightseeing on back roads and some very poor roads. So, would you switch the toad for a 4 wheel drive for this trip - or do you think my CRV will get the job done ok for me?
Your CRV will be just fine and you'll be able to sitesee and visit most all the popular attractions including the partially unpaved Top of the World Highway - but then, you most likely would be towing on that trip because you'll want to spend some time in Dawson City. I wouldn't change cars for the trip and I hope you do the trip. It's awesome! Plan for 2-3 months time and it won't seem so long of a drive because you'll have plenty of time to spend days in one spot.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 06:35 AM   #233

Back in 2015, we rented a 45ft Renegade Super C and drove from Chicago to Alaska (8400 miles) and back in 30 days. I recorded the trip in a blog which is still available. We also had a fantastic time. In fact, one of our sons now lives in Anchorage because he loved Alaska so much.

The blog starts with the last post and then goes back in time to the start of the trip.
Adventures Upp North
SteveUpp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alaska