RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Alaska Alaska Alaska

After living in Alaska in the 60's, wanting to visit again with our Essex and trying to get my wife to go for 10 years I must say after 40 years of RVing and having traveled to all 48 states in the lower US it was the #1 to remember. For us it was a 4 month 10K mile adventure that has been the high light of our travels. We did our trip with a Fantasy tour group and would suggest them so you see and do a lot that we think we would have missed by going on our own. As we traveled each site to visit was marked well, could choice to travel with someone in our 19 rig caravan or by our selves and the best RV site each night that were available. Each day was a day to remember with wild life and sights you will never forget.
We did our Alaska trip in 2014 at the height if diesel fuel prices and paid as much as 6.50 a gallon but still worth it. Prices are lower now but you do need to pay attention to your fuel gauge. The road were bad for many hundreds of miles but it's your tow car that gets the worst of it.
As you plan your future trips with your Newmar this is the one you will always remember. Newmar Kountry Klub has Alaska caravans and we meet up with the Newmar group in Fairbanks across the street from Costco.
Newmar Man

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
After living in Alaska in the 60's, wanting to visit again with our Essex and trying to get my wife to go for 10 years I must say after 40 years of RVing and having traveled to all 48 states in the lower US it was the #1 to remember. For us it was a 4 month 10K mile adventure that has been the high light of our travels. We did our trip with a Fantasy tour group and would suggest them so you see and do a lot that we think we would have missed by going on our own. As we traveled each site to visit was marked well, could choice to travel with someone in our 19 rig caravan or by our selves and the best RV site each night that were available. Each day was a day to remember with wild life and sights you will never forget.
We did our Alaska trip in 2014 at the height if diesel fuel prices and paid as much as 6.50 a gallon but still worth it. Prices are lower now but you do need to pay attention to your fuel gauge. The road were bad for many hundreds of miles but it's your tow car that gets the worst of it.
As you plan your future trips with your Newmar this is the one you will always remember. Newmar Kountry Klub has Alaska caravans and we meet up with the Newmar group in Fairbanks across the street from Costco.
Newmar Man
Hi Tom,
DW and I will be going on a Fantasy RV Tour of Alaska & Canada this summer starting at Coeur d'Alene ID. This Idea started in 2016 at the Open Range RV Owners Coming Home Rally. Another OR owner, who had been on the trip, and I started things rolling. We will have 16 Open Range RV owners, 2 friends of OR owners and, after the tour was opened to the public, 4 Motor Homes.

Any suggestions you have will be welcomed.

Doc

Old 02-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am going next year and can't wait. We are doing a no plans by ourselves trip. Might talk a friend into going but doubt it. This has been on my wish list forever.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 fan View Post
I am going next year and can't wait. We are doing a no plans by ourselves trip. Might talk a friend into going but doubt it. This has been on my wish list forever.
This is what we did. You can stay as long as you want in one area. No deadlines. You can't miss anything. There aren't that many roads.

We got some nice local tours to unique homes and to a sledding kennel just by talking to them n the street and they ultimately asked us to come to their place. Received a couple meals at their homes.

We boondocked in lovely spots or used public campground. No reservations except for 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground - the farthest you can drive - and we made that one just a couple weeks prior while we were traveling to better judge when we'd get there. As it turned out we were in the area a little early so on a whim we boondocked at a beautiful wayside and drove early the next morning into Denali. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek. Lots to do in both areas of the park. We saw 'THE' mountain almost all day long on 7 of the 10 days in the park and every one of the big animals. Had an awesome summer! Second time there.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Alaska

Glad to hear good things about Fantasy Tours as we are signed up with them to depart June 24 from WA for 62 days. Looking forward to the adventure.
Alaska is the only state my wife has not ridden a motorcycle in and she wants to scratch that off her list. She rode the lower 48, Newfoundland, and into Canada in 1979 alone, spent the summer camping in a tent. I think she will be a bit more comfy in the coach than a sleeping bag. Me, I am looking forward to riding, fishing and exploring and short driving days.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
NKK EVENTS LISTED HERE.

If you decide to go its a great State of Alaska, been there.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #7

Before you head out on your adventure, take your rear Add Flap off to save your toad from damage.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #8

If you are going on your own we would suggest following the Fantasy trip. The RV parks, the restaurants, tours, side trips and extra attractions would be hard to do on your. For your 1st trip we are still going to suggest a package tour. Some of our group did the math to check if we were paying to much and said it was comparable to doing it on your own. We felt we did Alaska after going to Chicken. No problem with mosquitoes, only 5 days of rain for our complete trip but would suggest taking extra fuel filters, belts, and fluids. One owner lost 6 days of trip because he pick up a rock that broke his fan belt and it took that long to get one. We will leave it to your Wagon Master to share, driving on the top side of fuel gauge, frost heaves, driving in the middle of road and other special driving hints for Alaska. Those who are going have a trip of a life time to look forward to.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Before you head out on your adventure, take your rear Add Flap off to save your toad from damage.
Totally agree. We talked to some folks in Whitehorse removing their big stiff flap from the rear. We saw a layer of 1" rock sitting at the base of their toad's windshield from rocks being thrown.

We didn't have the rear flap; only ones behind the tires. We didn't get any damage on the toad.... or the motorhome.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Totally agree. We talked to some folks in Whitehorse removing their big stiff flap from the rear. We saw a layer of 1" rock sitting at the base of their toad's windshield from rocks being thrown.

We didn't have the rear flap; only ones behind the tires. We didn't get any damage on the toad.... or the motorhome.
The flap from my old Dutchstar is in that pile in whitehorse.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
This is what we did. You can stay as long as you want in one area. No deadlines. You can't miss anything. There aren't that many roads.

We got some nice local tours to unique homes and to a sledding kennel just by talking to them n the street and they ultimately asked us to come to their place. Received a couple meals at their homes.

We boondocked in lovely spots or used public campground. No reservations except for 5 nights in Denali's Teklanika campground - the farthest you can drive - and we made that one just a couple weeks prior while we were traveling to better judge when we'd get there. As it turned out we were in the area a little early so on a whim we boondocked at a beautiful wayside and drove early the next morning into Denali. We easily secured an additional 5 nights in the front campground, Riley Creek. Lots to do in both areas of the park. We saw 'THE' mountain almost all day long on 7 of the 10 days in the park and every one of the big animals. Had an awesome summer! Second time there.
We spent 3 months in Alaska last summer. I was a little nervous about going it alone, but I took Two Gypsies advise and had the greatest trip of our lives. Go where you want, when you want. Great boondocking opportunities. Thanks Two Gypsies.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:02 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
I drove the road in September 2013 in a two door jeep towing a cargo trailer. My buddy was moving up to Eagle River. It was a fantastic experience but I want to go back with the DW in the coach and take more time. We slept in tents in campgrounds along the way for the comforts. Some amazing stuff to be seen along the way. I can’t wait to turn left out of the driveway and head North again.

Berryfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote