Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Alignment

Alignment
We drove our 2018 Ventana home Friday from Lewisville, Tx. My husband has pulled horses trailers, fifth wheels and travel trailers forever. Driving the motor
home was a pain, he had trouble keeping it between the lines. He said it was pulling and that was with the comfort drive on. The wind was not blowing that bad. I know we are newbies but this did not seem right. Could a new coach be out of alignment ? If so, could someone recommend a good freightliner place in Waco or Bryan Tx area.
Txaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #2

Can’t help you with a place in Texas, but yes they don’t align them when they build them. I took mine to a local alignment shop and had it aligned and then sent the receipt to Newmar customer service and they reimbursed me for it.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:13 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
First thing I would check is tire pressure. You need to get the RV weighted and then look up your tire pressure in the tire manufacturers inflation table. They can be found online.
Carefree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:59 PM   #4

What Model?

We could offer more insight if we knew what model Ventana you have. I agree with other poster who said tire air pressure. That's a critical component to getting them to drive right and give a comfortable ride. Would not surprise me at all if you are over inflated for the weight you currently have. Mine was filled to the max tire pressure all the way around when I picked it up and I got the tire pressure gauge out and set it to a number I knew would be more realistic.

You can read other posts on the forum about getting your coach weighed after you load it up. A very good thing to do.
2017 Prevost Marathon #1250
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk w/AF1 and Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow System
Orinda, CA
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:12 AM   #5

I would check with my dealer first before I had anything done to a coach that is under warranty. They may take care of the alignment.

I can say that an alignment really made a difference on how our coach handled. The difference was like daylight and darkness.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Comfort Drive is a system that lets you adjust out the exact issue you are describing. For instance, if you have a crosswind that makes you hold steering pressure to one side, you can adjust the Comfort Drive to relieve that pressure. The fact that your coach is pulling to one side would seem to me that you just need to adjust the Comfort Drive. If the Comfort Drive is supposed to take out that pressure automatically, then I would suspect it isn't working correctly.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #7

If it was only "pulling" to one side, then my first guess would be a tire inflation issue and possibly front end alignment needed.

If it was pulling and wondering, then I would check my tires psi of course, but also get it scheduled for a front end alignment.

The chances of a 2018 being delivered all the way from Indiana to Texas with the CD broke and then the unit being sold is pretty remote IMHO. Rule out the obvious simple things first.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photopilot View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the Comfort Drive is a system that lets you adjust out the exact issue you are describing. For instance, if you have a crosswind that makes you hold steering pressure to one side, you can adjust the Comfort Drive to relieve that pressure. The fact that your coach is pulling to one side would seem to me that you just need to adjust the Comfort Drive. If the Comfort Drive is supposed to take out that pressure automatically, then I would suspect it isn't working correctly.

Walt
The comfort drive would not correct the way you described Walt. I can’t really explain it, but once you drive it, you’ll have a better understanding.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txaggies View Post
He said it was pulling
It sounds to me like it's not assembled correctly. A shop needs to put the free diagnostic program on it to check it out.

Even that would not make it difficult to keep between the lines. A CD can't compensate for misalignment, incorrect tire pressures, or loose components. Those need to be checked too.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #10

Thanks

Well looks like may need alignment, just gotta find a freightliner place nearby.
Dealer is not close. We will also check tires.
Txaggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
It is my understanding that Newmar does check the alignment as one of the final QC’s, thats not to say that it couldn’t change as things settle, I’m two for two Newmar’s that came aligned. 🤞🏻
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just finished reading the digital owners manual I got from Newmar. It states you should get it aligned after you load it with all your stuff and it is not a warranty item.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:43 AM   #13
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My tag axle was not aligned correctly. Freightliner did an alignment on the 6 month (1 yr maint) inspection under warranty. The front wheels were off slightly also.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
My tag axle was not aligned correctly. Freightliner did an alignment on the 6 month (1 yr maint) inspection under warranty. The front wheels were off slightly also.
Thank you 10Fan and ptw. I am only familiar with two brand of Class A coaches, and neither one aligns them prior to leaving the factory.

In my previous brand coach it did not have CD so the fact it needed an alignment was obvious, or at least to me it was. I think many of us that purchase new Newmars with CD find that they drive so great that we never even consider they may need an alignment.

It is too bad for the kind of money we pay that the dealer's don't automatically align these coaches prior to selling.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote