Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

All Electric Canyon Star?

The idea of specing out an "all electric" Canyon Star 3710 is intriguing. The residential refrigerator is already on the options list. Induction cooktop would have to be done as an "extra", not too hard I'm told. What are the options for a water heater and heating the coach? Are the optional 2x 13.5M heat pump A/Cs enough without a furnace?

I figured this would allow me to get rid of the LP tank complely and gain a storage compartment in the process. Figuring the weight trade would probably be a wash with additional batteries. I also figure the upgrade to the 7.0KW generator is a must for this.

Has anyone done this on a Canyon Star? Ideas, concerns, issues I'm missing?
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #2

LA Gulf Coast Campers
We have the 2x 13.5 heat pumps..... and if it drops below 40-45 degrees... you are gonna be cold.....
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The heat pumps are going to be the biggest problem in this setup, once the outside temperature drops into the 30s they are useless and will just blow cold air.

I have 3 ACs in my canyon star, the one in the garage isn't a heat pump but has a heat strip instead and produces a reasonable amount of heat but would struggle to heat the whole coach on a cold night.

Also dry camping wouldn't be much fun in colder climates without a heat source.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Heat pumps will not be enough for anything below about 35 degrees, we have successfully used ours down to the about 30 degrees, but at that temp they run all the time. You'll need either electric resistance heat as well to back them up. These can be wall mounted electric heaters, but are best run on 240V.

The water heater is gas/electric, however the electric element will not recover hot water as well as gas. I don't know of any electric-only option for the water heater, there's no gasoline powered equivalent of the AquaHot that I know of.

With these in mind, you may be able to get Newmar to do a special, they have gotten much more amenable to putting higher line equipment in gas coaches than when I bought mine. I did see a special on the line during one of my visits that did not have a propane tank, I believe it didn't have a kitchen either, however I believe the customer was a company looking for a coach to outfit at another vendor to display merchandise.

I'd ask them, it won't cost anything just to ask, and it may get them thinking about the possibility of teaming up a big generator with 240V heaters, etc.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
The idea of specing out an "all electric" Canyon Star 3710 is intriguing. The residential refrigerator is already on the options list. Induction cooktop would have to be done as an "extra", not too hard I'm told. What are the options for a water heater and heating the coach? Are the optional 2x 13.5M heat pump A/Cs enough without a furnace?

I figured this would allow me to get rid of the LP tank complely and gain a storage compartment in the process. Figuring the weight trade would probably be a wash with additional batteries. I also figure the upgrade to the 7.0KW generator is a must for this.

Has anyone done this on a Canyon Star? Ideas, concerns, issues I'm missing?

The reason you don't see any all electric gassers is because there is no substitute that I know of for the Oasis/Aquahot units that provides the heat and hot water for all electric DP's.

The AC heat pumps aren't going to cut it as full fledged heaters in cold weather. The electric elements of the water heater MAY be able to cut it but don't try to take two showers back to back.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Go to CheapHeat to see if this is something to consider. There are other choices. Google "electric furnace for motor coach" and read about the choices.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:40 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. Explains why the "all electric" coaches are diesels. I suppose if there are enough inquiries to builders, the products to do this will eventually become available.
OakHillFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:41 AM   #8

Back in the days of air-cooled VW busses, you could buy a gasoline-fueled forced-air heater that worked to supplement the meager engine heating while driving and also while camping. I think they were made by Webasto and/or Espar. If you follow that trail, you might find something.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 12-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #9
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakHillFarm View Post
Thanks for the replies. Explains why the "all electric" coaches are diesels. I suppose if there are enough inquiries to builders, the products to do this will eventually become available.

Yeah, what's critically needed is a commercially available gasoline powered Oasis/Aquahot type of unit. MH manufacturers could then substitute those for the propane heat and hot water units traditionally used.

The last remaining issues would then be space and carrying capacity for the extra batteries. Gassers typically are equipped with minimal house batteries.

And all of this is governed by cost. The carry capacity, hydronic heat, bigger inverter and batteries may push the cost beyond what the market is willing to pay for a lower end gas MH.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I had a gasser, I was dry camping and ran out of propane. I thought I would be OK with the heat pumps, but I didn't know that they didn't work below a certain temperature. I froze my butt off learning that lesson!
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I work in the Teton April to late Oct. I have a full hook up but when it drops into thirties the furnace is a must! The hot water heater works great. I have a back up small Dyson heater that helps keep the coach toasty and not need the heat pumps that much, but when it goes below 30 degrees you need the furnace to heat the bay's where the plumbing is.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote