Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 11:36 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
allure plank flooring

I am considering replacing my carpet in our 03 Scottsdale with allure Resilent Grip Strip Plank from Home Depot. I read the instruction guide today. It states the flooring needs to be in a constant environment of 65° to 85°. It states NOT to install in a camper because of temperature variations. I see lot of people using Allure & loving it. Has anyone had any issues? Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #2

We us to own a Damon gas motorhome which I installed this product. Looked good in the summertime when it was installed but wait till winter. The seems opened up because the planks would shrink. Then dirt could get in the openings. Did not look good in the winter but fine in the summer. I would not use this stuff. Our current motorhome (2014 Canyon Star) has grooved laminate planks that are glued down. Looks good but scuffs easily and takes a little extra care. Slide rollers will leave marks so we clean off the floor and put strips of indoor/outdoor carpet before pulling in the slides in. Hope this helps.
StvC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:01 AM   #3

I have a similar issue. here in Az the temps cause the glue to get soft and the gaps open up. I measured 165 inside the coach. I am going to try some very short brads strategically placed to hold everything together. it will probably cause buckling. I love the durability and ease of care and it was cheap. Looking for other ideas.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

If you glue the Allure to the floor. it will shrink and gaps will show up. If, on the other hand, you install it like the instructions say and leave a gap around the perimeter it will not shrink nor warp.

Here are a couple pictures of mine...one in the COLD! The first picture is the finished floor - notice the 1/4 round covering the gap around the perimeter - the second picture was taken when the temperature was a little low...it has been in for a summer and a winter, going on the second summer and it looks just like it did when these pics were taken.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0630[1].jpg
Views:	708
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	97245   Click image for larger version

Name:	cold floor.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	200.0 KB
ID:	97246  

Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixmanbob View Post
I am considering replacing my carpet in our 03 Scottsdale with allure Resilent Grip Strip Plank from Home Depot. I read the instruction guide today. It states the flooring needs to be in a constant environment of 65° to 85°. It states NOT to install in a camper because of temperature variations. I see lot of people using Allure & loving it. Has anyone had any issues? Thanks!
There are two different types of Allure. There's the Allure Grip Strip Plank and then there is the Allure Ultra Resilient Vinyl Plank that is click together.

TrafficMASTER Allure Ultra 7.5 in. x 47.6 in. Sawcut Dakota Resilient Vinyl Plank Flooring (19.8 sq. ft. / case)-54112 - The Home Depot

The Allure Ultra is the product that many of the RVers have installed. I just finished putting it in our MH and it appears to be holding together very well. I used the Sawcut Dakota. I would recommend using the Allure tapping block to get good tight seams. The joints, once locked together, should not ever come apart.

There are other many other threads on Allure Ultra installations where people have had no problems with it over many years. I would leave a small gap (1/4 inch?) between it and any fixed object for expansion/contraction. I would also watch the videos on youtube.com that show how to install it.

Some pictures of the finished product:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0942.jpg
Views:	4913
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	97247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0990.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	97248  

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nice work previous two owners, I think they have answered your question pretty well and in your living area all you need to worry about is the rain or you can always go south in winter to warmer climates as a full timer.
You do need to sweep the floor before moving in the slides because the grit will scratch or indent into the floor known from experience, a wood floor in MACA.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks everyone for your responses. The Pictures are great. I was thinking about removing the front seats and laying the Allure Grip Strip under them. I get the idea that pinning it down is not a good idea due to expansion. I also want to do the slide. I am leaning towards 3/8" enginered hardwood glued down with urethane. We do go south for the Winter..Thanks again...
Old 10-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
allure

We went ahead and put the grip strip on the slide. We have now removed all carpet and tile. Does Newmar pay the installers by the staple? Lol. I want to run the VP up into the Drivers area. I am concerned about noise and heat with the carpet removed. I am thinking about the stick down reflective insulation / noise reducing products. 70 mil thick. I wonder if the VP will go down over these. They claim it is forgiving to 1/8". Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 10-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Allure

Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1443618831000.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	267.7 KB
ID:	110371   Click image for larger version

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1443618811000.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	271.7 KB
ID:	110372  

Name:	KINDLE_CAMERA_1443618837000.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	110373  
Old 10-25-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

We just replaced the flooring covering in our Essex with wood flooring. Can't say much about the flooring except if you do the flooring on a level floor slide out you have to make sure new flooring same height as old flooring. Spent a lot more time replacing rollers and ramp for rollers then doing the flooring.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
allure

Tom , I have thought a lot about your post. My floor was basically level with the carpet. After removal of carpet the edge of the slide is maybe 3/8" higher than the floor surface will be. I bought some edge trim for stairs and intend to apply it to this edge so it rests on the finished floor. I will have a height difference along the edge. It will only be noticeable at the dinette as the front of the couch will cover it at the other end. I can live with this. I believe the slide will automatically adjust to the new floor level. Am I missing anything? Thanks.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #12

We also had 3/8 to 7/16 difference in the floor height. Being that much taller when I had the floor done the slide out wouldn't move because it was touching the ramp for the slide to go up. Had to raise the ramp 1/4 inch and then also replace the rollers to a short roller to get slide to go up on to the new flooring. Hope this isn't some thing you run into.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see what your issues were. Everything we change affects something else. The VP is very thin. I will actually lower the floor height, so should not be a problem. Thanks.